1st time owner here - Everything ok? (w. pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zproduction1

I apologize if this is too much information. I'm very analytical and detailed, as I love my tiny beardie and had to wait 25 years to finally get one! I just want to make sure experienced owners review my beardie and set-up so I can give it the best, longest life possible! Thanks everyone! :study:

Beardie:
Background: Got it (?) 3 days ago from Petsmart. The employee knew neither the gender nor its age. Based on my research, I'm thinking it's about 2-3 months old, as it measures out to about 6". May potentially be a male. I have not physically checked for the hemipenil bulges, but when it fell asleep standing up in a corner against the glass I got a decent look, and there seemed to be a small bulge going up along the belly, off to the side. However I'm not making assumptions yet.
Size: 6" (As of 3 days ago) Idk the weight, nor how to weight it exactly
Behavior: Fairly lethargic (Had a lame set-up on day 1, but have been running around getting better lighting & supplies). I've been handling it since day 1. Sometimes it sleeps on my chest or in my hand so we take quick naps. I also let it roam around my bedroom. I hand feed it collard greens. Enjoys digging and loves jumping/face planting the side of tank from its basking area :wink: It also shed it's tail yesterday. Basks often, but not always with its mouth open. Also despises the F major Barre chord on the acoustic guitar (1st time it got black bearded, puffy, and head bobbing at me) and also when I cough. Poops daily (x3 today tho) a little runny, but at least its hydrated. Other than that it's super chill.
Eating:
Day 1(got him around 6pm fed around 10pm): x1 [No greens]
Day 2: x2
Day 3: x3
Each time between 4-7 small crickets (didn't start calcium dust until today). I usually do 1-2 crickets at a time and make sure it eats them all before adding more. .

*It has been showing dark stress marks more often the past 2 days (I've been swapping out tank parts, definitely stressing him if i bang the screen) And it hasn't eaten as many crickets today. Personally, I think its stress from the new ownership, lighting changes, and mild temp fluctuations (got stick on thermometer day 1, did research, got a digital yesterday)

Food/Water: Eats about 2-3x a day, only about 5-7 small crickets a sitting (I just switched to a Retisun 10.0 UV 26watt about an hour ago and its already more active, eating greens on its own, and roaming it's area. So i assume it'll pick up eating more soon as well) I also leave a little bowl of cut up collard greens (its LOVES them). As for water, I haven't seen it go to the bowl until now when I put the new UV bulb in. So I've been misting it multiple times a day when we lay around to keep hydrated
full

Tank:
20 Gallon, intending on moving up as it grows
full

Lighting:
- Retipsun 10.0 UVB 26-Watt Desert compact fluorescent (Above non screened opening)
- All Things Living 75-Watt Neodymium basking bulb (Also have a 100-Watt same bulb, not used because beardie seemed to close 1 eye often and eyelids looked pale)
- Zoo Med Nightlight Red 40-Watt (My beardie sleeps no problem with it, but i don't think it gives enough heat. Truthfully, I love to study my animals so I'd like a light for night viewing. If you suggest blue as a better color, or alternatives help view at night without disruption, please lmk
full

Temp: Basking side (Measured on side,*pic attached) - 95.5 degrees Fahrenheit
full

Flooring: Ground Walnut Shell Bedding (Bought Eco Carpet today, considering swapping out because of the constant horror stories after researching) - But it loves digging :(

My Questions:
1. How do I best determine basking temp? Placing the pole ON the basking area, or NEAR it hanging like it is? I noticed hanging it's 95.5 degrees, but when on the area itself it says the stones like 130 degrees

NEAR
full

ON
full

2. Should I take out remaining greens each day when they're dried (not brown) or let it eat them up? It chomps them down (*pic in question 3)
3. Can Calcium dust be overdone on? I was told its okay to put on insects and greens. If some spills over (*pic attached) should i clean it up or is it okay? [IMO there was too much spillage in the pic]
full

4. Are my UVB and Basking lights close enough to each other?
full

Answer whatever. Any and all advice and reviews are welcome. Thanks again! :blob5:

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Well I know you know the walnut substrate is the worst subtrate. Why would you use it? It can cut him up on the inside of swallowed. Please remove it. If you want him to dig you can make a dig box with play sand. No loose substrate for babies as they can become impacted very easi!y. You want to use tile, non adhesive shelf liner , paper towels work good too. Also that compact uvb light causes lethargy, appetite, and she issues. You want to replace it with a reptisun 10.0 t5. Also those neodymium coated bulbs cause eye issues. It's better to have a bright white basking ligh. I use halogen flood bulbs. And Beardies do not like or need lights at night and they like to cool down at night. I've never used a heat source at night. If your house gets below 65 then you want a CHE that gives off heat and no light.

zproduction1

Original Poster
destiny1998":1et5eod0 said:
Hi. Well I know you know the walnut substrate is the worst subtrate. Why would you use it? It can cut him up on the inside of swallowed. Please remove it. If you want him to dig you can make a dig box with play sand. No loose substrate for babies as they can become impacted very easi!y. You want to use tile, non adhesive shelf liner , paper towels work good too. Also that compact uvb light causes lethargy, appetite, and she issues. You want to replace it with a reptisun 10.0 t5. Also those neodymium coated bulbs cause eye issues. It's better to have a bright white basking ligh. I use halogen flood bulbs. And Beardies do not like or need lights at night and they like to cool down at night. I've never used a heat source at night. If your house gets below 65 then you want a CHE that gives off heat and no light.

Thanks for the reply!
As I had mentioned, the Petsmart employees weren't very helpful with my new beardie purchase. So I was unaware of the dangers of the walnut substrate when I had bought it initially. When I learned about it, I purchased the reptile carpet which is whats in it now.

I've also swapped out the Neodymium bulb with a 100-Watt Powersun UV, and the compact Reptisun with a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T5 light

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The PowerSun and the T5 10.0 are both nice bulbs. The PowerSun should be 8-12'' away to produce adequate UVB but since you have the 22'' T5 then I would rely on that for UVB instead. Set that about 12'' above the basking area and then use a PAR38 or BR40 halogen flood light to provide basking area heat. Adjust the height/wattage to achieve about 100-110 surface temps across the basking area and you should be in good shape. The PowerSun can be used as a portable basking light outside the tank or for travel (they are great for this).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom