So grateful for this site +a few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a new beardie mom (grandma really since they belong to my kids) to two beardies. We have Sky who is about 2 months old and Ella who is about a month a half. I just want to say how grateful I am for this site. The pet store gave us the wrong info and thankfully we researched and came upon this site where we got info on the proper way to care for our beardies so that they didn't suffer and for that I am grateful I do have a few questions though.

On lighting:
We currently have a reptisun 10.0 t8 uvb hood and one 100 watt zoo-med basking bulb running in a dual dome fixture. It originally had a compact Uvb bulb running but when I discovered that the uvb compacts were not what is best I replaced the compact with the reptisun strip and put a second basking bulb which shorted out the second fixture. The first bulb still works but the second one won't work. Our basking area temp is at 90-100. Should we invest in a Che or a second basking bulb or is our basking area ok for a baby? Sky, our older beardie, can often be found in her basking spot with her mouth open.

On feeding
We currently have been offering both beardies crickets 3 times a day (which coincide with our meals breakfast lunch and dinner) in a 20 gal terrarium that we use only for feeding. We seperate them for feedings so they don't intimidate one another during feeding. During the first and third feeding they both eat about 3-5 crickets during a 5-10 minute span but the second feeding they don't seem interested. We also keep pellets in their cage and dispose of any uneaten pellets and replace with new pellets through out the day. We offer mustard greens 3 times a day as well. What is the best way to ensure our babies are getting enough greens and insects through the day? What does a typical day look like for you in terms of feedings?

Thank you again.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
My first concern would be that from what I gathered from your post is that they might be housed together. If I am wrong please forgive me and disregard the next paragraugh.

Bearded Dragons are solitary creatures and are extremely territorial. Those cute little behaviors you will witness or are witnessing like head bobbing, arm having or laying on each other are signs of aggression not signs that they like each other. These situations can turn ugly fast, often times ending in limb loss, tails nipped, ripped of scales and or death. The results can be quite gruesome!!! If this is the case please separate them asap!
Here is a link to one such case... Warning very graphic! viewtopic.php?f=45&t=228673

Motherofdragons41108

Original Poster
They are currently housed together. I read on this site that young female beardies sometimes are able to be housed together if you start them that way young. We intend to get another enclosure once they get a little bigger probably within the next few months. They haven't exhibited any signs of aggression aside from them climbing onto each other's backs occasionally. That doesn't happen very often. They pretty much leave each other alone since they have such a large enclosure and are so small. I do appreciate your concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom