New to this site and to being a beardie mommy:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamHud93

Hello fellow bearded dragon owners and lovers!:) My name is Samantha but I go by Sam. My fiance Kevin, and I just adopted our baby beardie a couple weeks ago. His name is Stanley. Hopefully y'all can help us out if we have questions!
89971-9513788218.jpg
89971-4241370559.jpg

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Cute little thing. Welcome to the group....have no fear, your questions will be answered here :)

SamHud93

Original Poster
Thanks y'all:) Took me a good 30mins to even figure out how to make a post lol. So first things first, please don't freak out on me but we do have sand in Stanley's tank. Had no clue that was a No No because it can cause Impaction ?. He's been in his tank with the sand for about two weeks and doesn't seem to eat the sand at all. Do you think he's okay and I can just keep the sand?

Skipper7

Juvie Member
I would say no. Especially as a baby. If you don't want to buy another type of substrate, you can just use paper towels or newspaper for now.

SamHud93

Original Poster
Okay thanks. He's in a 10gal right now but I just got a 20gal long for him. He will have lots of room now:) he has just finished shedding for the first time since we have gotten him, our baby is already growing up!

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Young dragons shouldn't be on sand, older dragons don't usually have any problems with it. A lot of people use the tiles instead because of the impaction fears....
I have used sand with adults for a very long time without any problems. I have my Rankins on sand and they are less than half the size of an adult bearded dragon. I'm probably going to give the tiles a shot though. Its not the impaction risk I'm worried about. I'm tired of digging up roaches that buried themselves in the sand.

SamHud93

Original Poster
Rankins are like miniature Beardie right? I was thinking the other night than Stanley seemed smaller than usual and was wondering if he is a Rankin. What do you think? Okay, I will change the sand to the tank liner stuff. I don't want to do tile because I think the tiles would be cold on his baby belly.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Yes, Rankins are in the same genus as a bearded dragon. Different species...
They look similar to a bearded dragon and most people confuse them for one. Post a picture of your dragon. We can identify it for you. Chances are good its a normal bearded dragon if your in the US. They are kind of uncommon here.

SamHud93

Original Poster
Rankins":17nk6jnf said:
Yes, Rankins are in the same genus as a bearded dragon. Different species...
They look similar to a bearded dragon and most people confuse them for one. Post a picture of your dragon. We can identify it for you. Chances are good its a normal bearded dragon if your in the US. They are kind of uncommon here.

I posted two pics above ^ and yes I am in the U.S, we live in Texas.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Ah ha!! Answering too many posts, I guess I got confused. I see the picture of a cute normal bearded dragon :)
This is one of my Rankins.
85426-515637342.jpg

SamHud93

Original Poster
Aw so cute! Is he/she fully grown?
So for my next question.. I've read a little about eye bulging, and Stanley has done it a few times. And every time he does it, Kevin freaks out and doesn't like it lol. He says it's like his eyes are about to turn inside out or pop. It IS normal and okay.. right?.. ?

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
She is pretty much full grown in that picture, they stay pretty small.
The eye bulging always tends to worry new dragon owners. Its normal for them to do it, its like stretching for eyeballs :) They mainly do it around the time they shed, you may notice some very weird body movements when they shed also.

SamHud93

Original Poster
Well he just finished shedding completely about two days ago. So is it still normal for the eyes to bulge even when no shedding is occuring? Also, I read that most beardies love water and to swim and splash in their baths.. Stanley hate baths! Lol. Hopefully he will get used to them. He made it difficult during his shedding time when I was trying to let him soak ?

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Yeah, they bulge eyes even when not shedding. But more when shedding or preparing to.
Some dragons enjoy baths less than others. Rankins tend to enjoy water more than regular dragons though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom