Laying eggs - PLEASE HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vekoveko

Hello, my female beardie have been digging whole day and i think she is going to lay eggs, i read that they could burst inside her and kill her and i am extremely scared and don't know what to do!
She has been digging relentlessely for 1 and a half day but she didnt mate with anyone, she is ony beardie i have! Please, can someone help me out and tell me what to do and how to prepare a lay box and a hideout! Please, i don't want her to die! Ive made a little hideout for her out of a branch, sunbathing rock and a towel, she has cralwed in there and is digging there now. Please can someone give me an advice! :(

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Hey there,
A lay box is simple to make but will likely not be in her actual enclosure. I made one recently for my possible egg carrying female but she wants nothing to do with it :roll: So I'm guessing no infertile eggs...

You can pick up a 50 lbs bag of play sand at Home Depot for $3. This mixed with topsoil in a large tote or container and moistened so it retains shape makes a great lay box. You can leave her in the lay box (heated) for a few hours, but if she is stressing and not digging (my issue), you can remove her, give her a warm bath, and put her back to bask and try again later.

Hope this helps

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Rankins":3i5wsu8h said:
I always use peat moss...it's lighter than sand and it holds its shape better.

That's a good idea. I haven't heard that thrown around much. Do you have photos of one of these setups? Sounds like it could be a lot cleaner than a sand/soil mixture too.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
The nice thing about peat moss is its slightly acidic. It helps hinder mold...
I'll see if I got a picture...gotta sort through a couple thousand to find one. But I do know I have one of my mexican beaded lizards laying eggs in it. They don't bury them though...she's laying it on top of the peat moss.

Found it...
[ximg]85426 1509803767[/ximg]

Here's one from about 30 years ago when my iguana laid eggs.
[ximg]85426 2186070523[/ximg]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom