Pogi a Lesson in Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
After his diagnosis last week of septic arthritis, and a new round of coccidia...I was wary about his prognosis.

It was taking him a long time...almost two hours...for him to get himself out of his sleeping area and over to his basking spot. I was having to give him his worms because he just didn't seem to want to move to get them himself. So I know he was in pain. But he was still soooo sweet. We had so many little precious moments...I think the best is when I would bath him in the morning, after a good rub down I would wrap him up in a little blanket to dry him off...then I would stroke his face and he would close his eyes and relax. When he was like that I could feel my own body relax and just take in the tender moment.

I was hoping the vet would tell me today that the meds were working and that we would just continue on for awhile longer...but she confirmed instead what I suspected was happening...that it had already begun to spread to his other leg. Which meant it was in his blood stream. So it was only a matter of time.

I don't think he had a good start in life (whatever breeder Petco uses needs to be shut down!!!) But, I like to think he had a better life with us than he ever would have if he were adopted by someone else, or had suffered in his tank at the shop. He deserved a better, longer life....

I am slowly starting to get his equipment together. I want to take care of it before my kids get home from school. While they knew he was ill, and that he may not come home from the vet...they all prayed otherwise. My youngest said his goodbyes last night...through his tears he whispered..."Sweet Pogi"' as he stroked him...We will bury him tonight in his favorite sleeper sack.

I know I want to adopt another beardie...can't see my life without one. I will keep his stuff and sterilize it.... unless someone thinks I should start with new accessories because of the coccidia????

Pogi taught me and my family a lot. He was our first reptile. My kids have a greater appreciation for reptiles now...as does my husband who was very crushed to learn that I had to put him to sleep today...ironically he was 100% vehemently against me getting a beardie....but when Pogi got sick he would check on him every day and say to me like a hopeful child...."I think he is getting better, don't you?" So Pogi opened our hearts to his world and taught us that all creatures need love...

Thank you for all your support when Pogi was alive....any advice on how to handle his accessories and especially any advice on reputable breeders would be greatly appreciated...I do not want to have an empty tank any longer than I need to...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom