Size of tank vs dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onmedic

Considering a dragon for the kids, they driving me nuts wanting one so the research begins. Its now looking like the dragons for me lol. Can a little guy go in a 40gal? Teying to buy just one tank. Looking at the exo terra, i like the front doors and can just leave the lid closed with lights on top.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Little tanks are fine like the 40 gallon at first but you will eventually want to put them into a 4x2x2 tank --- please do not buy a kit from Petco or Petsmart - you will end up back at the store buying the correct lighting- dragons are not a kids pet -- they are more in depth of taking care of --- you have come to the right forum for getting the correct info before you buy one --- cudos to you on that one! What kind of info would you like -- ? By the way Petco and Petsmart give bad advice because most people there do not own one and have not a clue as to how to take care of one --- and please no colored lights for the tank it hurts their eyes---
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
How old are the kids ?

If younger than 12 yo , don't get a dragon , a bearded dragon IS NOT A THROW AWAY PET or A TOY.

Nor are they EASY pets to care for and keep healthy.

Hatchlings require a constant supply of high quality live insects and feeding three times per day.

Do your home work before going to buy any pet reptile and make sure to set up it's tank BEFORE you buy the reptile. Don't buy a reptile from a pet shop PERIOD.
If there is a cat in the house , don't buy a pet reptile ( it will likely end up badly for the reptile).

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I am extremely glad you are researching first, it can be overwhelming at first but it is a VERY rewarding adventure. Bearded Dragons are very loving and cuddly creatures and believe it or not, they actually miss you when you're gone. They are very intelligent and, have a distinct personality. I have had many reptile in my many years on the earth and, dragons are by far the best I have ever had.

A 40gl breeder is an ok size for an adult but it tends to be a bit confining for them, that is why we recommend a 4x2x2 enclosure.

Lights such as UVB and basking are a VERY important part of having a healthy dragon.

For a UVB I highly recommend an Arcadia 12%D3 or a Reptisun 10.0 T5 HO to get anywhere near what a dragon requires for good bone health and, metabolizing it's meals.
Basking bulbs are what provides Heat for proper digestion ....also very important to get the heat gradients they need.

No loose substrates, only solid...I use rough texture tile for flooring (substrate), you can also use, Paper towels, nonadhesive shelf liner or newsprint. Loose substrates can cause impaction when ingested and, harbor bacteria. The solid ones I mentioned can be cleaned easily and, pose no threat to your dragons health.

Temperatures must be well regulated so a Temp gun or a digital heat probe is a must because those stick on thermometers can be off quite a bit.
Night heat is only needed when the temps in your home drop below 65F, if it does you will need a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) to aid in keeping it up. Colored lights should never be used (day or night), they confuse them and, disturb their sleep patterns.

Karrie hit the nail on the head when she warn about advice from Petsmart, Petco and, other big stores being wrong on so many levels. They have killed more dragons after the sale with bad advice than I care to think about. They tell you that Beaded Dragons are a beginner reptile, do not fall for it.
Once you get everything set up correctly YES, they are fairly easy but, the trick is in the setup.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, that is why we are here!!!

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Onmedic":1ab4yisy said:
Considering a dragon for the kids, they driving me nuts wanting one so the research begins. Its now looking like the dragons for me lol. Can a little guy go in a 40gal? Teying to buy just one tank. Looking at the exo terra, i like the front doors and can just leave the lid closed with lights on top.
kingofnobbys":1ab4yisy said:
How old are the kids ?

If younger than 12 yo , don't get a dragon , a bearded dragon IS NOT A THROW AWAY PET or A TOY.

Nor are they EASY pets to care for and keep healthy.

Hatchlings require a constant supply of high quality live insects and feeding three times per day.

Do your home work before going to buy any pet reptile and make sure to set up it's tank BEFORE you buy the reptile. Don't buy a reptile from a pet shop PERIOD.
If there is a cat in the house , don't buy a pet reptile ( it will likely end up badly for the reptile).
He stated in his post it most likely would be his anway. I see nothing wrong with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom