New VIV almost ready (Comments Welcome)

Status
Not open for further replies.

budzoboy

Hello All,

My new VIV s nearly ready. its a eco-terra 36x18x36. I build a 12x18 raised feeding platform with a tile base. The rest of the area, after MUCH deliberation and talking with several long time breeders, I decided on sifted and washed play sand. I have two climbs (which may change), along with a hammock, which all of my previous beardies loved, for his basking area (also subject to change) Since I have no lid, I suspended the lighting from wooded "beams" that can be moved, raised, lowered, etc.
standard ceramic socket basking fixture, with a sun-blaster 24" t5 fixture for a Reptisun t5 10.0 uvb bulb. Thinking about adding a ceramic heat emitter, if needed.
I may add some type of vented lid to help with heat retaining.
few pics of what I have so far, and one of JoJo in a staring contest with my St. Bernard Comet.
97446-6123891799.jpg
97446-457770098.jpg
97446-9082874469.jpg
97446-4458477139.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's a nice setup. I like how tall it is. I also leave mine open at the top and suspend the lights and it works out well. If you monitor the overnight temps it will be a good indicator if you should use a CHE or not. A lot of times they are needed only seasonally if your house gets cold in the winter but it varies quite a bit.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Silerat":2sy4v6qy said:
Hello, can i use this type Play Sand?
https://ibb.co/inkEBc
or this one
https://ibb.co/ibq0HH
Hello,

The setup seems fine although the cage is a bit short looking and could maybe use some more space. But perhaps it's bigger in person. It just looks small in the picture. But photos can occasionally be deceiving. :)

and I would recommend Against using Any type of particle substrate. For many reasons such as:
>Particle substrates harbour bacteria and sometimes fungus spores,
>It has a risk of impaction,
>It's very hard to spot clean,
>It smells,
>it can stain the skin on beardies,
>Can cause prolapses,
>Can cause joint issues,
>and Can cause eye infections.

It Also provides a place for tons of bacteria to breed, so not very clean even if you do spot clean it, it can cause scale rot sometimes, it also can cause fungal infections. And of course death.

Children’s play sand is a tiny bit safer but it is still a particle substrate and in my opinion, Not worth the risk.
You're much better off using slate tile, paper towels, non adhesive shelf liner, and even linoleum. They are much safer and easier to clean then any particle substrate.

Btw, Cute beardie! :) Looks like my girl Cisco (she was in shed in this picture). :) View media item 60704
-HippieLizards.

budzoboy

Original Poster
the tank is 36x18x36
the elevated slate section gives the appearance of it being short...and the rest is not added yet!

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Hmm, It's a little small for an adult and looks good so far. But I Would recommend maybe switching to a 4X2X2 Enclosure when the beardie gets bigger. Maybe add some large climbing branches so the height is put to good use. :)

Here's a few pics of my beardies terrariums (maybe it will give you a few ideas):

Cisco: View media item 60902 (might possibly switch to 75-100 gal tank soon)

Thor: View media item 60516 View media item 60716 (soon going to switch to a 55-75 gal tank).

Daisy: View media item 60757
Loki: View media item 61161 (soon going to add some more climbing decorations and soon going to switch to a 75-100 gal tank).

I Hope the cage is finished soon! :D

budzoboy

Original Poster
JoJo is 5 yrs old, so I don't thing she will be growing anymore
I have re-done the climbing branches, just didn't get any pics..
and finally ordered my t5 reptisun 10.0 bulb

when time and money allow, I will plan on building a 48 x 24 x 24 enclosure

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Good! The Reptisuns are great and a 48 X 24 X 24 sounds like a good size. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom