Bio Viv Best Leaf Litter AUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeardedSaint

Hatchling Member
So I am going Bio Active ~!YAY!~ and was wondering what is the best leaf litter to use that you can get in Australia.

P.s would it be safe to use some leaf litter from my garden? We hacked off a giant branch around 3 months ago and all the leafs are dead on the branch and was wondering if I could use them?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Not sure what plants are available to you but my favorite leaves are live oak. Other hardwoods like oaks, maples etc are good but not quite as durable. Wild leaf litter is ok (so long as it’s clean and untreated etc) but you’d want to ID the plant as safe and non-irritating.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Eucalypt , mallee and wattle are what would be found in the more wooded bushy parts of the natural range of bearded dragons , these would be leaf litter of choice .

If you insist on a naturalistic viv , you need to look at reproducing the environment , soils and plants found in the Spinifex Regions see https://www.google.com.au/search?q=spinifex+region&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiLt-qwgsDXAhWInJQKHUESBW0QsAQIVg&biw=1649&bih=972

I use bluegum and wattle leaf litter as part of the mix for my eastern bluetongue skinks substrate.

I wouldn't be using any sort of litter in beardie viv as I don't consider this worth the risk of ingestion and impaction. Sorry if that is raining on your parade.

TheBeardedSaint

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":hoazcgfu said:
Eucalypt , mallee and wattle are what would be found in the more wooded bushy parts of the natural range of bearded dragons , these would be leaf litter of choice .

If you insist on a naturalistic viv , you need to look at reproducing the environment , soils and plants found in the Spinifex Regions see https://www.google.com.au/search?q=spinifex+region&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiLt-qwgsDXAhWInJQKHUESBW0QsAQIVg&biw=1649&bih=972

I use bluegum and wattle leaf litter as part of the mix for my eastern bluetongue skinks substrate.

I wouldn't be using any sort of litter in beardie viv as I don't consider this worth the risk of ingestion and impaction. Sorry if that is raining on your parade.

Okay thank you for the suggestions on leaf litter.

I am not too worried on Impaction with the leaves I'm gonna kinda crush them all up since I don't really like the whole look of them just being on the top. Plus I've kept my beardies on loose substrate and they've never had any problems with impaction ever. (Note I do not feed them live food in the tank)

I already have the soil and the plants the soils mixture is below and the plants

Organic Garden Soil, Charcoal, Perlite, Peat moss, and sphagnum moss

Black Rose, Aloe Vera, Mint, Basil, Parsley, and I'm trying to get my hands on some prickly pear cactus

TheBeardedSaint

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Taterbug":2hb296i5 said:
Not sure what plants are available to you but my favorite leaves are live oak. Other hardwoods like oaks, maples etc are good but not quite as durable. Wild leaf litter is ok (so long as it’s clean and untreated etc) but you’d want to ID the plant as safe and non-irritating.

Sadly we do not have oak trees =[

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
TheBeardedSaint":1t3ftk0f said:
kingofnobbys":1t3ftk0f said:

I am not too worried on Impaction with the leaves I'm gonna kinda crush them all up since I don't really like the whole look of them just being on the top. Plus I've kept my beardies on loose substrate and they've never had any problems with impaction ever. (Note I do not feed them live food in the tank)

I already have the soil and the plants the soils mixture is below and the plants

Organic Garden Soil, Charcoal, Perlite, Peat moss, and sphagnum moss <<<< I think you are going have problems keeping the in tank relative humidity under control with that mix, seems more suitable for eastern water skinks and eastern water dragons than for tropical dryland dragons like bearded dragons.

If you ask the seller if they'll post a pad or two, some will be quite happy to do so, that's how I acquired a prickly pear plant a few years ago , off a guy in Victoria who was advertising on Ebay.
Black Rose, Aloe Vera, Mint, Basil, Parsley, and I'm trying to get my hands on some prickly pear cactus

I see Prickly Pear plants advertised every so often on Ebay. Take a drive down many country roads here in NSW and out west of the ranges and you'll often see them growing feral along the road side.

TheBeardedSaint

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":2rf6j7tu said:
TheBeardedSaint":2rf6j7tu said:
kingofnobbys":2rf6j7tu said:

Organic Garden Soil, Charcoal, Perlite, Peat moss, and sphagnum moss <<<< I think you are going have problems keeping the in tank relative humidity under control with that mix, seems more suitable for eastern water skinks and eastern water dragons than for tropical dryland dragons like bearded dragons.

I see Prickly Pear plants advertised every so often on Ebay. Take a drive down many country roads here in NSW and out west of the ranges and you'll often see them growing feral along the road side.

Yeah I'm getting a Hygrometer thermometer just to make sure the humidity doesn't get too high most people only use Dirt, Play Sand, Peat Moss, And Coco Coir. I am looking out for prickly pear when we're driving and I've looked on ebay they're all mostly pick up.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Would imagine prickly pear would be... uncomfortable to grow in the enclosure. Not sure they would bother a dragon but the spines are unpleasant.

If your enclosure is well ventilated and your room isn’t high humidity you should be fine. Not crushing the leaves too small will also help with a barrier to the soil. I have two arid bioactive setups, no humidity problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom