National Geographic Sanctuary Reptile Fountain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Some people have used variations on fountains. The moving water can get their attention and some of them will drink from it. From what I've heard, fountains (in general) can be a pain to clean and sanitize often so they may not be worthwhile unless you're up for the maintenance required.

Taffer

Hatchling Member
I bought one of these a few days ago and I'm still on the fence about it. It's solid, heavy and a beardie won't tip it over. I put it in while our beardie "Monster" was out of her enclosure and it had running water when I put her back in. I put her next to it and she looked at it for a minute or two, then licked the water as it ran from the top reservoir to the bottom, but not out of the upper or lower pool. I've not seen her use it since, but I could have easily missed it too.

Pros & Cons: When the pump was turned up enough to create any real water movement (there are several settings to control water flow), the water would run over the side of the upper portion and drain the water over the side. We ran a small bead of hot glue along the side to contain the water and it seems to be working well enough now. However the water level is important because if you have too little water the pump will be noisy and make a grinding noise until you add water, but the noise level is acceptable once the pump is properly submerged. The problem though is there is a fine line between properly filled and water flowing out the back of the base which can easily dump a few ounces of water inside the enclosure...which isn't good because you either end up with more moisture in the enclosure than you want as it evaporates, or you have to clean up the water. I'm considering building up a small wall of hot glue to raise the overflow point at the back of the fountain so you had more fudge room between the pump making noise and overfilling the fountain.

Bottom line, it works, but it could have been easily engineered to be a much better product by building the walls out 1/4 inch to ensure water doesn't run out on the top portion, and the back of the lower fountain section should have been built up higher in the back than the front so if water was going to overflow, it would be in the front of the fountain where it would be easy to see water was going to overflow, instead of having no real mark on the main part of the fountain to know when water will start pouring out the back.

So if anybody has any better suggestions than this, please let me know. I may just do some field engineering to fix these issues which will obviously mean I cannot return the fountain. :0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harobuilt
Top Bottom