Switching to new, bigger tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

tengu1

Juvie Member
Hi there,

So I finally got the sliding door tank. It is pretty big and I wanted to ask you guys about switching him into it.

basically he will have to have a bath while I am putting lights in etc. So I wanted to ask is it too much stress bathing him and then putting him into a new tank? Oh and thats before feeding.

He is 11-12 months old and a little nervous as only had him 10 days. he does eat from my hand though but a little nervous to be touched or picked up. I am hoping the sliding doors will help him feel more at ease so I am not coming from above.

Thank you

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
As long as you have your lighting/heat set and there are good places to hide/climb then it should be fine to just move him to the new enclosure. It may take a little while to settle in but he probably won't have too much of a problem with it. I'd leave him alone in the enclosure for a while though to give him time to explore and get used to it. I think you'll love having the front access doors!

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hey there

Well it was an awesome event! Got him even though he tried to get out of hands (normal) and got him in bath and he was a bit pissed but he soon chilled out and he had a 20 minute warm bath and he did a HUGE poop!!! I am very happy about that. After that the wife held him in a warm towel and stroaked him for 20 minutes while the tank i set up warmed up. We put him back and he tried to stay on our hand which is sweet but probably scared of new tank. Anyway lights are all good,temps are good humidity etc. He is chilling in his cool spot right now which is a comfy 82.

Should I just feed and change water everyday for a few days until I start putting my hand in to "make friends" and hand feeding him? let him chill out for a while I guess and get used to new place.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah, it might not be a bad idea to let him be for a bit, but just try to read his body language. He may be OK with handling and interacting but if he looks timid or upset just leave him alone for now. Just provide a nice fresh salad and water for him to start with and see how he takes to it.

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Interesting!
So after he was put back in his new tank he waited around an hour or so and ate his veg :)

Couple of hours later I thought I would give some crickets. I wasnt going to bother putting them in my hand so I put one inside and he ran to it (very cute) so I put one in my hand and he came instantly and took it off my hand and 10 more!

Really happy about that. It looks like sliding door entry is working already :)

I noticed the basking spot temp dropped to 36 due to size change so I will make the rock higher or change the bulb to 75W.

But so far it is going well.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That does sound like he's adjusting quickly. Great. With the new tank you will have to do a bunch of little tweaks to the lighting. Adjusting the wattage of the bulb and the height of the bulb and basking spot should take care of it but will take some trial and error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom