Infrared Basking Bulb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello people! Well my question about infrared bulbs is, can they be on 24/7. My friend who knows quite a bit about reptiles told me that yes, infrared can be left on without turning them off. I currently have 2 juveniles, male and female and their basking spot is on a hammock underneath the infrared bulb. Temperatures at that spot range from 97 to 110 F using a digital thermometer with a probe in the middle of the hammock. But I noticed that my babies never sit right under the bulb, either at the edge of the hammock where the bulb does not have full heat effect. I'm worried that it might be too much for these little guys. Keep in mind they are in a 10 gallon tank as of now but plan on getting an exo terra 36x18x18 long tank in the future.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
What sort of infrared bulb is it? If it puts off any light you can see your dragon can probably see it too so it wouldn't be suitable for night use. Besides a temp drop (into the 70s) isn't a big deal.

Do you have a bright basking light for the day time? IR bulbs will either distort colors (the red and blue ones) or not give any light (CHE) - dragons really like a bright sunny day.

You little ones may find the heat too much (my guy only uses his hottest spot for short periods) or may just find it more comfortable to sit the way they are.

One more thought, a 10g will get outgrown quickly (especially with two in it) and they will need their own separate enclosures - a 40b is the bare minimum for one dragon.

EllieTheDragon

Original Poster
Taterbug":c8pmjhtp said:
What sort of infrared bulb is it? If it puts off any light you can see your dragon can probably see it too so it wouldn't be suitable for night use. Besides a temp drop (into the 70s) isn't a big deal.

Do you have a bright basking light for the day time? IR bulbs will either distort colors (the red and blue ones) or not give any light (CHE) - dragons really like a bright sunny day.

You little ones may find the heat too much (my guy only uses his hottest spot for short periods) or may just find it more comfortable to sit the way they are.

One more thought, a 10g will get outgrown quickly (especially with two in it) and they will need their own separate enclosures - a 40b is the bare minimum for one dragon.

It's a 75w exo terra infrared basking spot bulb. I only have that bulb and a 13w exo terra reptile uvb 150, repti glo 10.0 compact bulb. And I do plan on getting a bigger tank soon. But do I really have to seperate them :(? That will break my heart because they will be lonely.

http://imgur.com/ZfnXAI8
That image shows how they are right now and the digital thermometer shows a temperature of 103.7 F. Before I had the hammock higher towards the bulb but decided to lower it quite a bit.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
It's very unlikely they will be lonely. Dragons are pretty solitary animals (or a least prefer bigger territories than most cages can give). They will more likely end up in competition with each other for food and other resources. They could also breed too young (dangerous for the female) or too often - stressful on them both. Even babies will sometimes accidentally or purposefully bite their cage mates and can cause injuries.

They are cute little ones :)

For your lights, read the lighting guide on this site to get an idea of what they need. I like the T5 UVB lights better than the ones in the guide but you can make it work either way. That red light probably makes the whole world look strange to them - light plays a huge role in their happiness and well being.

EllieTheDragon

Original Poster
Taterbug":1mkc5eyx said:
It's very unlikely they will be lonely. Dragons are pretty solitary animals (or a least prefer bigger territories than most cages can give). They will more likely end up in competition with each other for food and other resources. They could also breed too young (dangerous for the female) or too often - stressful on them both. Even babies will sometimes accidentally or purposefully bite their cage mates and can cause injuries.

They are cute little ones :)

For your lights, read the lighting guide on this site to get an idea of what they need. I like the T5 UVB lights better than the ones in the guide but you can make it work either way. That red light probably makes the whole world look strange to them - light plays a huge role in their happiness and well being.

Ok thanks a bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom