T5 or T8 ReptiSun 10.0 UVB Bulbs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfeden

Hatchling Member
Title kinda says it all.

But I'll add some more...
From what I understand the T5 actually has a stronger (more UVB) light.
And it looks like the T5 is less expensive than the T8's.

So why shouldn't I go with the T5's?
Pro's and con's?

Thanks for any input!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Go with T5 - I recently upgraded to a two bulb fixture and am very pleased. In addition to more UVB they are also brighter. With a good hood+reflector you don't need to mount it inside of the screen. As I understand it they also last 1 year vs. 6 months (maybe only Arcadia though?)

The down sides I encountered were that they put off a bit more heat than a T8, so consider that when making your fixture selection. I have an all wood 4x2x2 so I couldn't mount it outside the enclosure. I ended up finding an "end cap" style fixture though, so the ballast is outside the tank. Bulbs are less available at retail - usually the good UVB bulbs aren't anyway but there are no T5 bulbs in my area at all. I wanted 1 UVB and 1 daylight for my setup, but ended up getting both online.

Since they are more powerful, so you want less of your tank below the UVB light not really bad just a consideration

I've ordered almost all my equipment, including bulbs, from amazon with no trouble whatsoever.

jarich

Juvie Member
Yes, go with the T5. The fixtures are usually a bit more expensive, but only a bit. Much better light and it lasts twice as long, so it's not much of a choice really.

Wolfeden

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the input, I appreciate your responses.

I just picked up my beardie today.
This was a rescue/adoption of a two year old BD from my boys school.
It came with a 55 gal tank, Exo-Terra Solar Glo MVB and some type of red heat lamp.

I will be changing this to a 40 gal breeder, 24" T5 ReptiSun and white halogen flood based on my readings here. But it will likely take a few weeks to get things how I (you :wink: ) want them.

I posted a couple pics in the Intro Forum here:
https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=209046

Thanks again.

Wolfeden

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
One more T5 question...

Since the T5 is HO, or stronger than the T8, is it ok to put this bulb on top of the screen cover?
The screen is the standard 1/8" mesh covers sold at Petco.

The previous owner of my adopted BD was using a MVB on top of the screen cover and the dragon seems to be healthy at two years old under those arrangements.
I'm hoping the T5 on top would be at least as good if not better than the previous setup.

Thanks.

jarich

Juvie Member
How far is the screen from the dragons back when he basks? Thats really the determiner in the end. With the T5, did you buy the Zoomed fixture too ?(I ask as this means its running at full output and has a reflector in the back of the fixture)

Wolfeden

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the response (I PM'd you with this same question, sorry).

Yes, I purchased the Zoomed T5 HO Hood.
I don't have the setup yet but I'm planning on making it so the BD can get at least 6-10" from the screen cover...unless you recommend otherwise.

Thanks again.

Wolfeden

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I just found the Zoomed site's "Distance from Animal" chart and now I'm confused.

It states distance for T5 HO 5.0 is 12-24".
And for T5 HO 10.0 is 18-36".

But it doesn't specify if this is for a BD's requirements and I don't know if it takes into account that the fixture might be sitting on a screen top that reduces the intensity.

So, my new enclosure will be a 40G Breeder tank that's only 18" tall and my BD has a branch as a basking spot that will go as high as 5" from the top.

Can I make these bulbs work, are they too strong for my application?
Should I go with the T5 5.0 instead of the T5 10.0?

Please help, getting confused here!

Wolfeden

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I just got this info from Zoomed:

The Reptisun 5.0 T5 has a UVB output that reached 12 to 18 inches into the enclosure with a screen top and 18 to 24 inches without a screen. The Reptisun 10.0 T5 reaches 18 to 24 inches into the enclosure with a screen and 24 to 36 inches without a screen top. If you have a standard 40 gallon breeder I would go with the T5 5.0, if you use the 10.0 you risk over exposure to UVB. I hope this answers your questions, please let me know if you have any more.

But I'm still not really sure if the T5 HO 10.0 is too much or if the T5 HO 5.0 is insufficient.
Any thoughts?

I'm trying to get some uW/cm2 numbers from Zoomed but not sure if they will be able to supply them.

Thanks for any advice.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I get plenty out of my T5 10.0 - I don't have a reflector and it's in the tank and have a UVI of about 3+ at 12-18" (can't remember exactly) I'm sure the 5.0 will be fine.
Have you checked the UVB meter owners group?

Wolfeden

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I actually have checked that group but to be honest I'm not sure I would understand most of what was being said even if I was able to find specifics to the ReptiSun T5 5.0 an 10.0. The search feature there was difficult for me to navigate...

If I understand you, you are using the T5 10.0 HO inside the tank with no issues at 10-12" away.
So, wouldn't that mean I'd be OK using the same T5 10.0 through screening as long as I can maintain about 10-12" distance even with a reflector hood.
Maybe the reflector and screening cancel each other out? LOL

And my concern with the T5 5.0 is that is the wrong sun percentage at 5% and not 10%. I don't know if that percentage actually changes even though it is the High Output bulb.

This is all so confusing to me.
Maybe either would work and I'm over thinking all this.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
If you click on the "files" tab then "lamp test results" then the reptisun T5s are the second and third files. The percentage is just the amount of the light being made as UVB. The actual output is more meaningful. Those test results have the outputs at several distances in both uW/cm2 - and uvi. Depending how you set it up I'm sure you could get good results with either. A 10 may need to be set up further away and a 5 closer is all. The 5.0 looks like it puts out at 15" with no reflector what I was getting from my T8 10.0 at 6-8".

I hope that helps. I had a lot of trouble deciding as well - and I'd hate to lead you astray by making a suggestion since Im not super confident with it yet and don't have experience with a 5.0.
Screen will reduce about 30-40% depending on the screen, a reflector can increase by around 100%.

Have you thought about getting a UV meter?

Wolfeden

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I totally understand what you mean by being cautious to advise me on such a critical and technical matter, no worries.

I'll check out those files and measurements, thanks.

I probably won't lay out the money for a meter, maybe down the road.

I'm also getting some advice from two very helpful members here via PM on this topic. If I'm deciphering it correctly they seem to think the T5 10.0 would be OK as long as a distance of 10-12" is maintained.
That's about as much as I can get in a 18" tall tank without removing the basking branches and leaving the tank mostly undecorated. That's too boring for me...

Thanks again.

jarich

Juvie Member
Sorry it took me awhile to get back to the thread. As for your bulb question, go for the 10. Since you are going to be sitting it on top of the screen, its best to go for the higher output. It wouldnt become dangerous unless the dragon were getting about 6 inches away from the screen, so no worries at 10-12" at all.

Zoomed will tell you things to cover their butts, not because its much based in reality. After about a week of burning in, the bulbs lose around 20% of their output, so go for the 10.0.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great discussion. I don't have much to add & have never the Reptisun 5 but am currently using the Arcadia D3 12% T5 HO (reading are very close to the Reptisun) mounted inside of our tank with the 65K brightness tube light.
I use the Arcadia MVB light also for basking & extra brightness, etc. The UVB readings are not real high but it has a beautiful spectrum.
I use a 4x2x2 & it has worked out great.

I agree, the 10 T5 Reptisun tube will be fine mounted on top of the screen.

Good luck.
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom