Why I hate going into Pet Stores

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spike1etta

Hatchling Member
So I needed a few things and thought I'd check out a small mom and pop place that I had heard good things about.
It was a three hour drive and was not the shining example of a reptile shop that I had hoped for. I think they are trying, but an employee apologized for the crickets being too big when she realized I knew my reptiles and I found out it took 3 days for someone to separate the baby beardies after they started attacking each other. Gee Wiz, might have to do with the fact that someone was feeding full sized crickets????? and they were hungry.

Here is Peg:
She has lost both legs on her right side.
Did not think she would survive, but she is a fighter and an eating machine.

We call her Peg, because she uses her "peg" leg to run around and does quite well.
She looks really bland in these photos, but when she is being held and is happy, she is a sunshine yellow. She actually glows when she is happy.

Her cage mate has/will lose her back left leg. I'm watching it to make sure it does not get worse.
She has no name yet, so we would like to hear suggestions. Feel free to leave them as comments.

I don't know what the morph is, but if you click on the first picture you can see how she has lots of color. From yellow to orange, reds, maroons, purple. I think she got the mixed bag of color pallet.

They are both "Yellow" Dragons.
The shop owner had a call into a local reptile guy to put them down, so I offered him the $20 he had in them to bring them home.

Then on the way out a family walks in with a 2yr old Yellow dragon that "attacks and bites". So they wanted to trade it in for a baby. Seems that they had a stick they used to keep it in the cage when it was fed and the 10yr old told me it needs a whipping and has to go to bed without supper some nights when it bites his mama. What a day, no education was going to fix them. They could not understand that the dragon was hungry and that if they were scared of it, then they did not need a baby, because it too would grow into a big dragon. The shop owner made the trade and I bought the 2yr old for $40.

Click on the pictures to enlarge and see how bright her colors are and those Purple bars...

She loves to eat, imagine that lol.
She is still scared and hisses, but I can hand feed her and pick her up without ever getting bit.
Oh and they did not believe dragons ate anything but meat, think they fed it bits of hamburger instead of bugs.
But her first day here I made salads for everyone, little squash from the garden, greens and bugs for interest, green beans, etc...
She swam in hers, made a mess. I figured I'd let her have fun and clean later, well she ate every last bit, no clean up needed.
After three days she has gained 42 grams, think she was dehydrated.

Well hope you enjoyed meeting my new girls. How did I go from 0 dragons to 3 in an afternoon? and I still have one to pick up tomorrow that started this whole process... yes I was buying supplies for a dragon I do not even have yet.

Annalee

Juvie Member
I think the trip ended well for you... ;] Grats on the beardies. I know how addicting rescuing can be. I have rescued 2 in the last month or so and have another one probably coming my way in the next week. They are amazing little creatures who really know how to snuggle their way into your heart. If you need any help or suggestions, feel free to ask. My first rescue was a baby who had a leg that was mostly black like the one in your second pics. IDK how Walrus managed to heal (probably with all the medicine and special care XD ) but I saved his leg and most of his foot. Was a fight though.

If you need anything, throw me a PM. I get notifications to my phone so I'd probably get back to you pretty fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom