Hubby rescued leopard gecko who was starved and has eye prob

Status
Not open for further replies.

thanybeauty1

Hatchling Member
Soo my hubby went to the pet store to pick up our large order of supplies for my ever growing reptile family and well they asked him if we would take in this leopard gecko that they rescued. My hubby looked at him and could not resist. This poor little thing was starved for god knows how long and is blind because of many many layers of shed over his eyes. He is sooo skinny! The lady at the pet store rescued him a month ago and he has shed 4 times in the last month because he was finally given food. Currently he is being hand fed meal worms and using a carnivore care food mixture as a supplement to help him gain weight. He has eye ointment which I believe is the same eye ointment used for cats when they have eye colds. I've attempted hand feeding him last night and this morning but could not get him to eat any worms. I am calling the vet Monday because I want him fully checked out and I want to determine how to get this eye issue cleared up. The stuff on his eyes looks like it could wipe off but its so gooey I'm afraid itd stick to his eyeball and pull his eye ball out. I will post pics of him this evening. I have him set up in a 20gal tall tanks, a humidity hide with warm wet paper towels which he is loving. I am going to soak him once or twice a day and continue to try this hand feeding thing. He's very sweet I cannot imagine why or how people can do this to an innocent animal? It does make me feel good though that whenever the pet store gets a rescue they contact me because they trust my abilities. So any advice would help, because I'm new to leopard geckos. Thanks!

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Have you been able to get any information to help you with this gecko? I know there are specific gecko forums out there and you may have to go out and ask on one of those places. I had found a good one at one point, I can't remember which one, but I will look and see which one it was I registered at. Hope your gecko is doing a little better!

thanybeauty1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Jess messaged me back and that was helpful. I've gotten him to eat two days in a row now and one of his eyes are almost cleared up! I have to find the vitamins Jess told me about but I think this little guy is going to be okay now that I am a bit more informed. Thank you for the help

thanybeauty1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
IMAG0287.jpg

IMAG0286.jpg

This is the lil guy the pet store rescued and asked us to take him in.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
That is a very skinny and sad-looking gecko. I feel so bad for it for what it has been through, but then so glad it has a chance at a good home now. WOW the difference in that gecko and my gecko, Bella, is crazy. That tail should be fat and taper at the end, not be so skinny. OMG :cry:

I hope you can continue to update this thread with fat gecko pictures and she recovers. My Bella has the same coloration and when we bought her from the breeder she was labeled as a High Yellow Normal.

thanybeauty1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He is way too skinny but he is now eating 10 to 12 dusted mealworms an evening and I hope this will help get his weight up. Im not entirely sure he's drinking but he spends most of his time in his humidity hide. I have noticed a white lump under his one eye that is clearing up and I'll take a pic of it. I do not know if it is part of the built up shed or a cyst. I'm scheduling him a vet appointment today and I hope they can give me a good prognosis for him. Well we don't even know its a boy, how do I sex a leopard gecko? I will keep updating this thread as this is the only place to vent my love and sadness for this lil guy.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
I have no idea how to sex a leo. I hope mine is a female! :lol:

If you can get 1/2" crickets for this gecko, go for it. They really like to hunt and they need a varied diet just like the beardies do!

thanybeauty1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
IMAG0297.jpg

Do you see the white lump under his eye? I am worried about this
IMAG0298.jpg

This is the worst eye as of tonight
IMAG0299.jpg

The other pics are the eye that is getting better except the white lump

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
That looks really bad. :( I don't know what to tell you at all. I'm at a total loss. I've never seen that before. :cry: Do you have a reptile vet in your area?

What have you been using on the eyes? Have you used any kind of solution. I have heard of people using a turtle solution to clean the eyes, it's a liquid like eye drops. I just don't know what it is called.

Do you think you should post a separate, new thread asking about your gecko's eyes? Have you been on any gecko-specific forums? I wonder if you can ask Jess if she is a member on an actual gecko forum and can tell you which one is good? I bet you would get much better advice there.

Those pictures are heartbreaking.

AllanonsWrath

Sub-Adult Member
pPETS-3761450t400.jpg

You can get some at PetSmart/Co and most other pet stores. Can also order online if you have to. I would recommend a daily soak or two where you try and rinse the eye with a syringe or dropper. Make sure the water is warm, but not hot. If it's something actually stuck in the eye it should break loose in a day or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom