My baby bearded dragon isn't eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy1222

So bought a bearded dragon first time lizard owner. We brought him home and he was eating fine now he's not eating as much but he isn't acting sick pooping regular and everything. Could it be because of the uvb light I have why he's not eating as much all the sudden

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please go over the set up you have for him ---------- pics of the tank would be good
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at top of message box then click on the pic you want to post
Hes going to go thru relocation stress so that will slow him down from eating but he should not completely quit eating --- after we see what the tank looks like we can better help
What are the basking temps - for a baby they should be 105-110 and temps should be taken w/ a digital probe or infrared heat gun or both
Karrie

Billy1222

Original Poster
107548-8785255341.jpg
so I have a digital thermometer and a infrared one his cage is what it should be at its about 107 right now in Basking side and cool side is around 86 but was going to buy a new uvb bulb cause read the one I have isn't the best its one of the coil bulbs. Some days he won't eat any feeders and other days he will eat 1 to 2 worms. Not sure about greens and his dry pellets I have for him and dry worms

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I see 3 domes - one is a coil UVB get rid of it-- then next is a infrared bulb? is that a colored bulb ? If it is get rid of it -- you need to get this a 24" fixture w/ a reflector - a Repitsun 10.0 bulb either a T 8 or a T 5 bulb - different bulbs require different placement and distance -- this is your UVB -- you need a bright white basking bulb - it would be trial and error for temps - I would start w/ a 100 watt and take a temp w/ your probe sitting on the spot he basks - the next thing you need is to get rid of the pellets and feed a fresh salad every morning - here is a website for nutrition
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html -- feed him this in a glass bowl your live insects / worms cant get out of -- get rid of the dry insects and feed live ones - I recommend dubia roaches and BSFL you can get dubias from here https://reptilesupply.com/ along w/ small super worms to entice him to the bowl - you can also get dubias from this place www.dubiaroaches.com they are a good place to get other worms like butter worms horn worms as well --- feed only 1-3 supers on top of salad and add them so he can see you do this - order some BSFL from here www.symtonbsf.com they are a good staple feeder and feed as many as you want --- the worms they will get addicted so so if you order small supers or butter worms feed sparingly - you want him to start eating salads now - so the first thing you need to do is get your lighting in order starting w/ the UVB and your basking bulb --- once that is fixed you will see his appetite increase -they do slow down on eating its called relocation stress but he should not stop eating all together -- once you get the new UVB let us know what you get so we can help you place it
Karrie

Billy1222

Original Poster
Ok if I get the new uvb bulb will I need to take the big log out so he's not to close to it cause that's were he likes to sit and bask also the other dome is one of the dark purple bulbs said to use for night. Or would it be better to use a flat ceramic emitter. So my basking light is wrong as well? I get paid soon so going to get everything I need

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok before you take the log out you need to get the UVB first then we can go w/ the decor pieces - placement of the UVB is gonna figure w/ your decor pieces -- so leave as is for now - the purple bulb get rid of it-- colored bulbs hurt their eyes and disrupt their sleep --- what is the temp in the tank at nite ? If its below 65 you will need a CHE if its above your good - dragons like cool and dark to sleep - fixtures are expensive --- go here to this website and look for fixtures www.pangeareptiles.com - they have a 24" fixture there for $32 - they also carry the Reptisun bulbs - get either the T 5 or T 8 - the T 5's can sit on top of the screen but your basking decor needs to be either 6-8 or 8-10 inches from it depending on the screen - if your screen is fine mesh like a screen door then it would be 6-8 if the screen is wide holed it would need to be 8-10 -- the screen filters 30% of the rays -- if you get a T 8 it needs to go inside the tank so you would need to hang the fixture approx 8-10 inches from basking decor --- please let me know what you decide --- so all you need for lights is a good bright white basking bulb and the UVB --- NO colored bulbs !!! We can talk about extra heat if you need it
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So if you have a bright white basking bulb your good --- you just need the UVB -- but ditch that colored bulb--
Karrie

Billy1222

Original Poster
Would it be bad to use a regular light bulb in place of the purple bulb to give more light in the tank.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
A regular hh bulb is fine - I use a 60 watt old style reg hh bulb on cool side of tank - temps are around 80
Karrie

Billy1222

Original Poster
Sounds good thanks for all the help ill let you know when I get my new lights won't be tell Thursday hopefully he will be fine tell then

Billy1222

Original Poster
So have another question since he isn't eating that much should I be trying to force feed or just wait tell I get the proper lights to see if it changes

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I guarantee as soon as your lighting is changed out he will eat- he's still going thru relocation stress so even if he's eating a little that's ok-- DO NOT force feed he's already stressed out -- if it's warm where you live 65 or better you can take him outside in a plastic container No GLASS--direct sunlight for 15 minutes---- that equals out to 4 hrs of UVB
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If there is a cover on that fixture leave it off - place it directly over him approx 8-10 inches from his basking decor-- you can use long plastic zip ties- 3 M Velcro fasteners--;fishing line- picture wire hangers- shoe laces--
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom