3 month old stopped eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

kprnz18

Apologies in advance about length of post. As a disclaimer, I am taking Gobi to the reptile vet on Monday. However, this is the first time using this practice and I don't know the quality of the vet so I wanted to ask you guys first. I have reached out to his breeder as well.

So over the past few weeks Gobi's feeder intake has gradually slowed down a lot and I'm concerned that he is not growing like he should. I weigh and measure him every Saturday. He was hatched around July 11th, and this past week he was 8.25" and 30 grams. I had him on dubias which he was eating no problem twice a day. But every day it's like he eats less and less. I take him out into a separate tub to eat. He just sits there and looks excited, but then only eats maybe 3-4 roaches that are right in front of him. So I tried switching to BSFL and was ecstatic when he ate like 20 in one sitting! So I figure okay, he just doesn't want dubia anymore. The next feeding, the same thing happens. He ate maybe 3-4 and is no longer interested. He sometimes is skipping meals all together. I offer veggies every day which he does nibble on. He is pooping regularly.

Behavior wise, he is alert and enjoys exploring and skittering around when I let him out. But when I come out in the morning he is laying in the corner. I come home and he is laying in the corner. I have to physically place him in the basking spot so he will be warm enough to try and eat.

Setup is as follows:
20 gallon long
T5 10.0 Reptisun
Halogen flood light
CHE for night time heat and extra day time heat
Temps Basking Spot: 100-105
Temp gradient 70-85 in cool side
Lights on: 0530
Lights off: 1930

full

The only husbandry issue I am having is humidity. I can't get it lower than 50%. I've tried rice sock, Eva Dry, and will be trying a small plug in unit soon. Humidity is digital gauge. Temps are read with Temp Gun. Soaking him every other day to try and prevent dehydration. Thanks to anyone who stuck around for this whole thing. Here are some pics of him.

full

full

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
For him to eat the 3-4 roaches is good - they fill up fast on them -- are you feeding him salad and are your offering bugs 2 times per day? He needs to be fed salad first --- http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html-- take your BSFL and add to the salad on top that will get him to the bowl --- you can get some small or medium super worms 1-3 and add too let him see you do this so the movement gets his attention --- let him eat from bowl for 30-45 minutes then feed him his staple feeders like dubias -----add them to the vegie bowl - it is possible hes still going thru relocation stress -----how long have you had him -- the UVB is a T 5 and a good bulb -- is the basking spot 6-8 inches from him ? It looks like it is --- and the cover is off the bulb meaning bulb is exposed --- you might try to get the basking temp up a little 105-110--- babies like it warmer than juvies and adults-- and another thing to think hes not going to be in that 20 gallon too long -- I would start thinking of upgrading any time ---- I would try and find a tank 50 gallon or bigger - the bigger the better - you can try craigslist for used and or FB marketplace --- just make sure if you get a used tank you disinfect it good --- and one w/ front doors --- they are easier to clean and handle your dragon---I wanted to add the vet trip will also cause extra stress ---- I dont know how long you have had him but he needs time to settle in ---- if he stops eating completely then its time to be concerned but as long as hes eating something your good

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I wouldn't worry too much about the humidity. The dial hygrometers aren't always very accurate either.

Does your dragon enjoy baths? If not I'd stop them. They don't get any hydration from baths unless they drink from them. And if they do, once a week is more than sufficient.

He sounds healthy and active, I wouldn't worry too much. As long as he's eating something that's good. And if the dubia are a bit larger, it would make sense that he eats less of them.

Everything sounds fine and based on your description he seems to be acting fine too! :)

How tall is your tank?

-Brandon

kprnz18

Original Poster
Thank you for your replies and input!

I offer fresh salad every morning. He does eat some of his salad every day, but I will definitely start trying to add the BSFL to it first thing when I get up and then feed the dubias right before I leave. He was eating way better before. The basking spot I think may be a little too close to the light. So maybe I should lower the basking spot and get a higher wattage bulb to get the temps up? My boyfriend won't let me get a dimmer as he says they are dangerous, so I'm limited to trying a bunch of different bulbs :( I have had him since the end of August, so I'm hoping relocation stress has passed. I realize the vet may stress him out, but I really do want him to be checked for parasites. I have been looking into the Zen Habitats for his adult enclosure, but didn't want to stress him out with a huge enclosure. Would it be okay to upgrade now then?

That's great to hear about humidity. I do use a digital hygrometer thought, not the dial. I guess he doesn't really enjoy them. If he doesn't get any hydration from it then I will go to once a week as you suggest. My tank is 12" tall. I mean he isn't lethargic, but he used to be sitting on his basking spot most of the time when I come out in the morning and when I get home. Now he just sits in the corner of the tank and is cold to the touch. I have to physically place him in the basking spot...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You can upgrade to your Zen any time -- I put my 3 month old in his and he seems to like it --- for the first weeks or so he stayed in the middle of the tank or on hot side -- now hes running all over it --- I am not sure as to why hes only in the cool side of the tank --- is he eating?
Karrie

kprnz18

Original Poster
He's on the warmer side, but he isn't in the basking spot. He lays in the back corner by his pumpkin where the temp gun says it's only in the 80s.

This morning he ate 4 small dubias. Last evening he ate nothing. I got a tiny escape proof bowl and am leaving BSFL in there during the day, but he doesn't touch them.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So is he basking after he eats? Usually they will go sit under the basking light after they have eaten --- how are his poops--- what do they look like? 4 small roaches really isnt a lot --- how long have you had him? They will go thru a period of relocation stress and slow down on the eating
Karrie

kprnz18

Original Poster
KarrieRee":31uc8ccw said:
So is he basking after he eats? Usually they will go sit under the basking light after they have eaten --- how are his poops--- what do they look like? 4 small roaches really isnt a lot --- how long have you had him? They will go thru a period of relocation stress and slow down on the eating
Karrie

I've had him since August 24th. I place him in the basking spot myself when I put him back in his tank because I'm scared that he won't go there by himself and won't digest. His poops seem normal to me. Not overly smelly or runny, somewhat formed poop and urate isn't chalky.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok not sure as to why hes not basking --- he should on his own especially after eating --- how long does he bask for and is he under the UVB ? I think after 2 months he should be over the relocation stress-- How far is the UVB from where he sits? I know its a T 5 and on top so it should be around 6-8 inches from basking spot--- beings the screen filters out 30% of the rays ------------
Karrie

kprnz18

Original Poster
I don't know how long he basks for as I'm not home during the day. The UVB is near the back of the tank so the drift wood is about 6" away from the strip. The basking light is in the front and is probably 4-5" away from the hammock.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am wondering if the hammock is the issue - maybe move your decor around and take the hammock out for move it - put your drift wood under it and see if that makes a difference --- its just a thought - he must be getting enough basking time if hes pooping and it looks normal - no undigested food -- etc - hes got me stumped ---
Karrie

kprnz18

Original Poster
So I was home yesterday and able to keep an eye on him. He did go to his basking spot by himself and was active all day. He glass surfs a lot. He ate some BSFL I left in the bowl for him but didn't touch his greens. Refused dubias.

Today he was under the hidey log when I left around 10 and I got back at 1:30 and he hadn't moved from under there. I was really scared he was dead. He did not gain any weight this week. So that's 3 weeks that he has not gained a single gram.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I dont know whats going on w/ mine either --- he has slowed down on his eating as well - hes around 4 months old or so -- today hes eaten no dubias and I have hand fed him some BSFL and he ate a piece of grape from my hand - I have not seen him at the bowl today at all --- my daughter said she saw him at the bowl yesterday eating but it seems he has slowed down as well - he is basking - I will weigh him again to see if hes gaining -- it seems he is really small for his age - hes around 9 inches or so and weighed 41 grams 4 days ago ---- I guess just keep feeding him at least thats what I plan to do - they will eat when they are hungry and as long as they are active and basking and pooping ---
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom