Storing Greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

cycho

I have read that you can store greens like kale and collard for up to a week in an air tight bag in the refrigerator. I also know freezing tends to cause the greens to lose their nutrients. How do you guys store your greens? Or do you buy fresh greens weekly?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I pretty much buy them weekly. But I usually end up at the store 3 times a week since it's on my way home lol.

-Brandon

Peach

Hatchling Member
I use the ziploc bags too. These bags can sometimes make the greens sweat, which will make them get slimy so I stick a paper towel in with them. Kale and collards will usually last two weeks for me that way, softer greens like mustard will easily go a week.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I buy them fresh when they need to be replaced -- so give or take once or every 2 weeks
Karrie

cycho

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1f31m6l4 said:
Google - storing bulk greens in the refrigerator.
Google - storing blanched greens in the freezer.

As I said, freezing isn't an option, nutritionally. And I just wondered if someone has better ways than what I found on the first few pages of Google. :wink:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I usually get at least a couple of weeks out of most greens. I cut the stems out and put large pieces in a ziploc bag as others have described. Add a folded piece of paper towel and push the air out of the bag. I store these in the crisper at the bottom of the fridge and they do really well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom