Getting back on schedule!

Status
Not open for further replies.

halima16

So I got my beardie in August of 2017 and the first 6 months I had him, his feeding schedule was super consistent and he was growing rapidly.

Around January/February of this year, he began brumating. He wouldn't bask and so I couldn't feed him. It was just strange to me because he was still under a year old and so I was not expecting him to even go through brumation. However, his weight remained consistent and so I didn't worry too much.

Recently, he has been freaking out because I think he wants to mate! He keeps bobbing his head at this reflection and going CRAZY in his tank (climbing the glass, pacing back/forth, etc.) So every time I tried to get him on consistent diet he would refuse to eat and just keep going ballistic. He just did a complete 180, but still doesn't eat.

NOW, he seems to be calming down, less pacing and what not, and has began eating again. :D

I have weighed him and he is about 350 grams and 18 in long. SO he hasn't lost any weight through his whole ordeal and he is now reaching 11 months. I am just wondering what kind of eating schedule he should be on now? Like should I keep doing twice a day (30 min each) every day? Or should I start feeding him like a sub-adult? Which I think is once a day right?

I just feel so bad, because I feel like I haven't been taking care of him properly, but he seriously refused to eat this whole time. Has anyone else experienced this with their new beardie???

ALSO, I have been consistently giving him fresh veggies everyday no matter what. I also bath him a few times a week, and he drinks water at these times.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That all sounds quite normal and nothing to worry about. He should settle back down soon. Once a day on the bugs is probably fine although he still has some growing to do so I wouldn't dial it back further than that yet. Do let him run around and get some exercise if you have a safe place for him to do so and offer him daily salads as much as he wants to eat just as you've been doing. Sounds like you're right on track!

halima16

Original Poster
CooperDragon":16fmlhj2 said:
That all sounds quite normal and nothing to worry about. He should settle back down soon. Once a day on the bugs is probably fine although he still has some growing to do so I wouldn't dial it back further than that yet. Do let him run around and get some exercise if you have a safe place for him to do so and offer him daily salads as much as he wants to eat just as you've been doing. Sounds like you're right on track!

Thanks! This makes me feel better :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom