No dragon yet, need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello- new here, and no dragon yet. Just being thorough with research and budgeting. I'm deciding what the best route will be for us feeding-wise. Or if I'm simply too big of a chicken to get a dragon because crickets creep me out. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So I've read the care pages and a ton of nutrition discussions. I know that live crickets are best, and that bearded dragons absolutely need live food to thrive. I have read that mealworms cause impaction. Specifically, the breeder I would like to buy from is very clear that she does not feed her dragons mealworms. For me, worms have much less of a creep factor than crickets- not to mention less noisy and probably less smelly.

Here's where I'd like some real world advice- are silkworms the same as mealworms as far as impaction? If not, can a dragon thrive on only worms, or are crickets a necessity? What does worm or cricket storage look like in the average home? I have a fairly large house, but also have two kids so I won't have a dedicated reptile room or anything. And finally, what is the average food cost per month?

Once upon a time, I was totally not scared of crickets so I'm thinking I should be able to summon the inner strength to get the heck over it. :lol: But, if there is a healthy equivalent I would love to know that!

Thanks!

HylianHealeys

Juvie Member
I feel you on the cricket problem. I can't stand them. I eventually got over the creep factor because I have two geckos who refuse to eat anything else :roll: , but the smell and chirping still drives me batty.

Mealworms aren't the *worst* thing you could feed to your bearded dragon, in fact they're downright preferable compared to superworms. But they're not the best, either. They have a lot of hard chitin compared to "meat" content, and since they're worms they're a little fattier. Mealworms are hard-bodied, but silkworms are soft-bodied, making them much easier to digest. Many people prefer silkworms as a staple feeder for beardies. Dubia roaches are also a good staple feeder, but they do have a certain "creep factor" that one has to get over. Personally I really love black soldier fly larvae. They're naturally high in calcium (no dusting needed), soft-bodied, and my bearded dragon loves them.

Sorry for the long paragraph. If you want more information on feeder insect nutrition facts, this article sums it up well: Feeder Insect Nutrition Facts for Reptile Keepers.

Unless you plan to breed your own feeder insects (not really necessary if you only have one beardie), they can be kept in a small storage bin with ventilation holes drilled into the lid. Provide gut load (food), water crystals, some egg cartons for a "hide," and tada, you're good to go. It's really simple.

keitorin540

Original Poster
That makes sense about the mealworms! I was confused as to what it was about them that caused impaction, I haven't held one since I was a kid. The larvae are significantly less creepy, thank you lol.

On the reptifiles website they listed a product called grub pies under good feeder insects...are you familiar with that at all? Assuming my potential future dragon would even eat it do you think I could feed that along with actual bugs to cut down on actual bugs? At least while it's a juvenile.

I see that after 2 years they only need bugs once a week, I feel like that would be completely doable.

HylianHealeys

Juvie Member
It's SO nice to have an adult bearded dragon that doesn't need bugs all the time lol. Easier on the pocket, too. If you're okay with starting off with an adult, I highly recommend it. Gives you an opportunity to adopt one from the local classifieds, rescue, or animal shelter too.

My reptiles go nuts for Grub Pie. It smells rather terrible during preparation (it's like boiling dog food, so keep a window open :puke: ), but once you've got it in cubes it's good to have on hand for when you forgot to buy bugs or don't feel like dealing with them. You can get it off Amazon here.

ReptiFiles.com also has a really good bearded dragon care guide if you want to look through it.

keitorin540

Original Poster
I've been reading all the things, I appreciate your help. :)

I really would like an older dragon. They must be wonderful pets, though, because nobody is giving them up. At least no where near me, unfortunately.

HylianHealeys

Juvie Member
Seriously? There are always adult bearded dragons for sale in the local classifieds where I am. If you're open to paying shipping costs, maybe consider adopting from Sarah's Bearded Dragon Rescue? She's a friend of mine and I think she has an adult or two ready for adoption. If not, she probably knows someone who can help you.

keitorin540

Original Poster
I'll check that out! I'm certainly open to paying shipping cost, but everyone I've found is wary of shipping their pets. I live in the middle of nowhere so it's not surprising no one is local. :)

Thank you!

keitorin540

Original Poster
Also- just as an update- I am no longer a chicken, am 100% in on feeding crickets, and have a reputable website picked to order from. :D

Now I'm waiting for January before actually purchasing anything and waiting is the worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom