Kale as a Staple

Status
Not open for further replies.

NateS

I see mentioned on here that Kale is not good as a staple and have a question. What is better.....Kale as a Staple, or no greens. I have been struggling to get my dragon to eat his veggies. This morning I tried a salad with Kale topped with Raisens. He munched on it for quite a few bites...he's actually still sitting by his salad bowl, but he's a slow eater (he's 8 yrs old).

So what is better...no greens, or kale with raisens as a staple?

Kale and raisins are not good for them. Try mustard, turnip greens. For veggies, peas, carrots, squash. Fruit is berries and apples, pears, mango.

Kale binds calcium..I think.

Carnivorouszoo

Sub-Adult Member
Kale an be given 2-3 times a week and be safe but it can't be all your bd gets. Try to offer something different every few days. I recently found my Mojo loves diced zucchini, but she won't touch acorn squash. She loves flat leaf parsley but not so much the curly. Cilantro depends on her mood. Just keep trying :)

Cnochur

Hatchling Member
How 'bout escarole? That's what Khal Drogo Hussein O'Gradaigh's eating. What's the BEST staple green, healthwise? Anybody?

Carnivorouszoo

Sub-Adult Member
There is no one veggie or green that can be given by itself all of the time. Sorry. You need to offer salads with at least 2 or 3 kinds of veggie each day. Limit fruit and don't offer dried the sulfates could hurt them. Better safe that sorry really.

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
Have you tried mustard green? Most animals take to that stuff pretty easily for some reason.

Escarole is good, too.

Beardies NEED variety. Try collard greens, turnip greens, and mustard greens. Carrots, squash,peas, corn, potatoes,
and zukeeni are good for veggies. For fruIt, feed once or twice a week. Bananas, apples, pears, kiwi, mangoes, and most berries. Hope I helped. :mrgreen:

NateS

Original Poster
Raisens are listed as "black" on the nutrition website. I know it says occasionally but he seems to only get 1-2 raisens a day...I think the smell is what helps.

What if I offer a variety of greens, but the same variety everyday...say collard greens, kale, and mustard greens with 2-3 raisens? Would that be a good mix to do everyday or no? He gets superworms too but will soon be switching to Dubias. I just have a hard time getting him to eat greens and the older he gets, the more stubborn he gets.

I noticed the supermarket had escarole and endive too so I guess I might try those. I just know that he usually ignores his salad and this morning he gobbled a bunch up instantly. I looked at the nutrition guide last night and thought Kale was a "green" but it isn't....I guess I will keep trying with escarole next.

Mustard greens don't do much better than collard...he'll usually take one bite and that's it. Collard greens he'd sooner poop on than eat them I think.

NateS":3vx2a08s said:
Raisens are listed as "black" on the nutrition website. I know it says occasionally but he seems to only get 1-2 raisens a day...I think the smell is what helps.

What if I offer a variety of greens, but the same variety everyday...say collard greens, kale, and mustard greens with 2-3 raisens? Would that be a good mix to do everyday or no? He gets superworms too but will soon be switching to Dubias. I just have a hard time getting him to eat greens and the older he gets, the more stubborn he gets.

I noticed the supermarket had escarole and endive too so I guess I might try those. I just know that he usually ignores his salad and this morning he gobbled a bunch up instantly. I looked at the nutrition guide last night and thought Kale was a "green" but it isn't....I guess I will keep trying with escarole next.

Mustard greens don't do much better than collard...he'll usually take one bite and that's it. Collard greens he'd sooner poop on than eat them I think.

He needs some veggies and fruits every few days. And try to switch up the order.. Like apple, kale, and mustard. Next day collard, mustard, and squash. Try to switch it up a bit. I give my beardie leftovers from wh at I eat..like apple.. Banana, etc. :mrgreen:

NateS

Original Poster
Thanks for the help. I bought some escarole and endive and made a salad of those. I shredded some butternut squash and mixed in too. I am getting ready to head to my classroom and give him some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom