Any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm planning on getting a beardie from my local petshop later this week and it will be my very first reptile. I have a 55qrt (23.5"x17"x12.25") plastic bin that I plan to keep it in for a couple of weeks before getting a 20gal tank, and have a screen fitted to it.
I was wondering if anyone could tell me if Flukers brand UVB and Basking lights were okay? They were the highest rated ones I could find within my budget.
I have everything else I can think of/search for that I might need, including food, hides, branches, basking stone, substrate (newspaper), calcium/d3/multivitamins, and thermometers.
is there anything else I should have or know?

The basking light is probably fine, but skip the Fluker's UVB. Go with either Reptisun T5 5.0 (tube, not coil) or Arcadia 12%. They're reliable. I'd also recommend skipping the 20 gallon and getting at least a 40 gallon. They grow very quickly. It's also really hard to get the proper lighting/temperature gradient in a small 20 gallon. :)

cchart1216

Original Poster
LavenderFleur":3ewn7ddr said:
The basking light is probably fine, but skip the Fluker's UVB. Go with either Reptisun T5 5.0 (tube, not coil) or Arcadia 12%. They're reliable. I'd also recommend skipping the 20 gallon and getting at least a 40 gallon. They grow very quickly. It's also really hard to get the proper lighting/temperature gradient in a small 20 gallon. :)

Awesome, thank you!!

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
LavenderFleur":39xsajf4 said:
Go with either Reptisun T5 5.0 (tube, not coil) or Arcadia 12%.
That should be Reptisun T5 OR T8, 10.0. The "fatter" T8 can go inside the enclosure; the thinner (and stronger) T5 would go outside--on top of the screened top.

I would skip the Flukers lights entirely. For a basking lamp, an ordinary incandescent (not LED) household flood (not spot) is fine, and much less expensive. You may have to try different distances and wattages in order to get temperatures right--it's a trial & error process for everyone. If your temps are not warm/hot enough, try insulating w/ 1/2" rigid foam insulation or multiple layers of corrugated cardboard (sides & back).

A 20 gal tank is not sufficient. 40 gal breeder tank is the absolute minimum, and 4'x2'x2' is the recommended size for an adult.

How much have you budgeted for veterinary expenses?

costs of owning a bearded dragon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
LavenderFleur":3omez2n9 said:
Oh yes! Thank you for correcting that. 10.0 for sure!
No problemo. They say that's what erasers are for, but... they don't work so good on my screen. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom