Be careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a schedule with my dragons, cut the night CHE off, turn the basking light on, turn the uvb on and un-tuck them. Yoshi, my juvenile, is currently in a tank with a tank topper, so I have command hooks for the dome lights. I wake up yesterday morning, cut the CHE off and let it cool off before setting it on the hook and get all the day time lights on. I feed both of my boys after getting warmed up and go on about my day. Yoshi got his second round of crickets around 7:00 that night due to issues with one of my ducks.
About an half an hour before I got around to feeding yoshi, my mom got him out for a little bit and put him back up and went to bed. It was smoky in the house, but I thought nothing of it because the fryer was on and the oil needed changed. I went to feed yoshi and I noticed one of the dome lights setting on the ground. I thought my mom just forgot to put it on the hook as she sometimes does. (and has been told not to) Well, this time she turned it on, the CHE, and set it on the adhesive vinyl floor. This was a 60 watt ceramic heat emitter. This is the damage.
89898-8317504474.jpg
89898-172609464.jpg
89898-486153132.jpg
89898-469064829.jpg
It was still hot for about a half an hour afterwards. That was probably 20 minutes of setting on the floor. Moral of the story; don't let adults, or children, mess with lamps! I think I'll have to take the CHE out of the lamp during the day now :-x

dezismom

Juvie Member
This is a good tale of caution! I had a similar experience...those ceramic heat lamps get very hot, and with no light to remind you they are on.Thanks for the reminder.

RockysMom

Hatchling Member
Wow! So happy that nothing caught fire. I'm guilty of setting my CHE on the floor. Not any more! And it's so hard to tell sometimes if it's on or off. Thanks for the word of caution.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, that is a great reminder absolutely!
I am just glad to hear that there wasn't a fire that hurt your dragons or you.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom