What is the best age to buy a beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianHealeys

Juvie Member
For your first bearded dragon, I would recommend buying an adult (at least 2 years old). Adopt one from a local reptile rescue, animal shelter, or off your local classifieds if you can — this is where you are most likely to find an adult beardie looking for a new home. They may not be as small and "cute" as the babies, but adults are more durable and more likely to tolerate common beginner mistakes.

Bearded dragons make great first-time reptiles — but be warned, their care requires a substantial initial investment. Because you have to mimic their native habitat in your own home, a lot of special equipment is needed. But don't let that scare you away. If you want a beardie companion, with a little determination you can make it work. :D

I recommend this care guide to all new and prospective bearded dragon keepers: https://www.reptifiles.com/bearded-dragon-care-packet/

Bearded Dragon Obsession is a great group on Facebook to join for more information.

Be sure to also read the files here on BeardedDragon.org. There's lots of great info here!

PodunkKhaleesi

Hatchling Member
Adults are great for first time beardie owners because 1. They’re more easygoing/docile than their skittish baby counterparts and 2. They eat far fewer insects than babies, since greens and veggies are the emphasis of an adult beardie’s diet. The staggering amount of insects a baby can eat in a 24-hour period can be daunting to a first time reptile owner. My friend recently adopted an adult beardie from a reptile rescue and it’s one of the sweetest, most personable lizards I’ve ever encountered. I highly recommend going this route. ☺️

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
I think I personally made the right choice with adopting a 6-month old Dragon but that said, I am home all day and have PLENTY of time to take care of his juvenile needs which are extensive, to say the least. I don't have any experience with adult Beardies yet but I'm more inclined to agree with what the posters above are saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom