How much should I handle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pferrell

My new beardie is about five or six inches long. He is pretty afraid of me and runs when I put my hand in the tank. I have only had him about four days so I'm trying to take it slow. My question is how much should I handle him. I've taken him out once to soak and twice to try feeding in a separate container since he doesn't seem very interested in eating. Should I still take him out for these things, or just leave him alone for a while?

He is still very little, so he thinks that you are a predator. I think that you should start by just putting your hand in the tank for a few minutes every day until he gets used to you. Slowly inch your hand closer when he gets more comfortable. I would say try not to handle him at all really except for every few days when you soak him. I went through the same thing, and now my beardie loves me! :D

(try feeding him in the tank but make sure he gets all the crickets/dubias)

-Ellie :)

pferrell

Original Poster
I'll definitely try that. I'm still having trouble getting him to eat because all he can focus on is me and pays no attention to the food

PodunkKhaleesi

Hatchling Member
You could try leaving some small dubia roaches in a “no escape” feeder dish if he’s too intimidated by your presence to eat. It’s completely normal for a baby beardie to be skittish/hyper, particularly during a relocation period. Your instinct to take it slow is a good one. Sometimes leaving your hand in the cage for short periods—no attempt to hold or touch him, just getting him used to your presence—can help alleviate his fear that your hand is a monster waiting to snatch him if he lets down his guard. Once the giant hand loses its predator stigma you may start to see him express curiosity. It was a magical moment when my most skittish baby hopped willingly into my hand, which she still does now as an adult when I open her cage. But regardless of how long it takes for your baby to believe that you really don’t want to eat her, just know that with patience and gentle handling the adult version of your beardie will have the easygoing nature these lizards are known for.

pferrell

Original Poster
Thanks for the encouragement. I tried leaving the container of dubias in his tank today while at work, but still no luck. Doesn't seem to want to eat.

Yeah. When handling a baby beardie you just have to take it slow, be gentle, and be patient. If you do that then you’ll be fine.

PodunkKhaleesi

Hatchling Member
Regarding the eating, have you tried BSFL? Sometimes a plump wiggly worm can do the trick when beardies become cricket snobs. BSFL, also known as Phoenix worms, reptiworms, and calciworms, are incredibly nutritious and a great staple feeder. And their smaller size and soft bodies are perfect for baby beardies. You can usually find a 25 count or 50 count cup at chain pet stores. I suggest trying them out and if your baby gobbles them up you can order them in bulk online.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom