Looking for reptile owners in the LA, CA region!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to start a reptile rescue, but I don't have much exposure to it. I have many ideas in how I want to take this. I don't want to just make a huge place with just enclosures, I want to make it seem like a pet shop, but just with reptiles who are wanting second chances. I would love to have some more people behind me with this and I want to hopefully spread the word. If you're in the LA region, please message me and we can talk about this and I can share my ideas and start talking about funding. If you're just willing to spread the word about this, then be sure to share this link and start some sort of funding for this rescue project!
https://www.gofundme.com/pacos-pet-rescue

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's a good idea and more of these are needed. I wish you the best of luck! Please feel free to use this forum as an information resource and perhaps share some stories about your rescues too =)

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I wish you success, as there is a need. Such ventures require careful planning though.

One thing I would suggest is that you make sure that you have sufficient funding, resources, and manpower (volunteers and/or employees) in place before you put out the word that you are ready to take in rescues. There was a rescue here that was featured on the local news, but when people found out that there was a place they could dump their unwanted reptiles, the rescue got swamped with more than they could adequately care for and eventually went out of business.

So I'd say go slow and careful, and know your limits. And hopefully this little reality check won't discourage you. I think it's a good idea if you can swing it. Best of luck. :)

Savora

Hatchling Member
I think it's a wonderful idea!

Perhaps to avoid the whole getting-swamped-with-unwanted-reptiles situation, you could set up a system where people could view your adoptable reptiles online and purchase them online (plus paying the overnight FedExing too). This way, you're only receiving locally unwanted pets, but your audience for adopting them spans across the whole country. Additionally, this sort of fostering system could work too. Obviously the pets have to be in good health for this to work though. But you probably won't be adopting out pets who aren't in good shape.

Good luck with it :)

zixthekevin

Original Poster
SHBailey":3f9vw4cj said:
I wish you success, as there is a need. Such ventures require careful planning though.

One thing I would suggest is that you make sure that you have sufficient funding, resources, and manpower (volunteers and/or employees) in place before you put out the word that you are ready to take in rescues. There was a rescue here that was featured on the local news, but when people found out that there was a place they could dump their unwanted reptiles, the rescue got swamped with more than they could adequately care for and eventually went out of business.

So I'd say go slow and careful, and know your limits. And hopefully this little reality check won't discourage you. I think it's a good idea if you can swing it. Best of luck. :)

Of course, we are putting all the gritty detail together, but first of all, I would like to get a community behind the idea. Funding for this would be the most difficult for us. We are still coming out with more details as designing and set ups. We're gonna get the images done first, then we would worry about everything else.

zixthekevin

Original Poster
Savora":1ydngz3w said:
I think it's a wonderful idea!

Perhaps to avoid the whole getting-swamped-with-unwanted-reptiles situation, you could set up a system where people could view your adoptable reptiles online and purchase them online (plus paying the overnight FedExing too). This way, you're only receiving locally unwanted pets, but your audience for adopting them spans across the whole country. Additionally, this sort of fostering system could work too. Obviously the pets have to be in good health for this to work though. But you probably won't be adopting out pets who aren't in good shape.

Good luck with it :)

We are planning to do that exact thing with a website. Planning to get something like square space. I have a few snakes that I'm fostering for now, but hopefully I'm able to find them a forever home and my friend has got a batch of beardies that he's unable to keep, so we're also gonna take those in and find them a home.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Anchorage animal control does that with the animals they have available for adoption. Their webpage displays photos and info about each animal, mostly cats and dogs, but they usually also have a few reptiles. I suppose that it works well.

halima16

Hey,

This is beautiful. I am not in LA county, but I am in San Diego.

Could I still participate in some way?

zixthekevin

Original Poster
halima16":80d2qav2 said:
Hey,

This is beautiful. I am not in LA county, but I am in San Diego.

Could I still participate in some way?

I will be making a video soon about my ideas, but for now, share the gofundme link. Soon there will be actual actions towards this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom