Tell me the dirt on bearded dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.

NervousNellie

We are seriously considering adding a bearded dragon to our family. I have been doing a ton of research but am starting to feel overwhelmed. I'm trying to decide how much a bearded dragon will add to our circus enjoyment/work wise. We currently have two geatric dogs, one in kidney failure, both dogs require special food and medication. We have two awesome indoor cats. The only real outside pets we have are three chickens. We love our chickens and they are as big of pets as our indoor ones. They would like to be indoor pets. So I have a few questions about care because I have zero experience with reptiles.
I think if we do get one it will be an adult rescue from a reptile rescue.
1) I read somewhere on here that they usually have a BM once a day but here is where I start getting confused can I use a vingear soaked paper towel to just wipe it up? I saw in an article about steam cleaning? Do I have to steam clean its cage regularly or wiping with vingear good? How often do I have to clean the whole cage if I can just spot clean bms?
2)I have a 5 and 7 year old who would want to love on it as much as their schedule (school and activities) would allow, would that be a problem?
3) do they have a smell?
4) I understand an adult would need protein once a day and veggies once a day, is that right? Do I have to keep live protein (crickets) in the house? Is there a protein source that works better then crickets maybe one that can't hop away from me?
5) I saw it was best to get a fecal sample checked right off can any vet check that or just one that specializes in reptiles?
6) how much time each day/week do you spend on basic care?
7) do you think keeping cats and bearded dragons is a bad idea?
8) anything else you think I should know? I've read most the articles on this forum but it all seems overwhelming.
9) I forgot we camp a lot in the summers but we always have a pet sitter come once a day to take care of the cats and chickens would that be fine for a bearded dragon too?

My zoo keeps me busy but I've got it down so that each day I don't spend my whole day taking care of pets. i want to make sure I'm not going to get myself in trouble. Haha
We love all of our pets and they get plenty of attention, maybe more them some want. ?

Stres

Hatchling Member
NervousNellie":2hg1jdbg said:
We are seriously considering adding a bearded dragon to our family. I have been doing a ton of research but am starting to feel overwhelmed. I'm trying to decide how much a bearded dragon will add to our circus enjoyment/work wise. We currently have two geatric dogs, one in kidney failure, both dogs require special food and medication. We have two awesome indoor cats. The only real outside pets we have are three chickens. We love our chickens and they are as big of pets as our indoor ones. They would like to be indoor pets. So I have a few questions about care because I have zero experience with reptiles.
1) I read somewhere on here that they usually have a BM once a day but here is where I start getting confused can I use a vingear soaked paper towel to just wipe it up? I saw in an article about steam cleaning? Do I have to steam clean its cage regularly or wiping with vingear good? How often do I have to clean the whole cage if I can just spot clean bms?
fortnightly should be fine, weekly is better,
I think the vinegar solution should be fine also.

2)I have a 5 and 7 year old who would want to love on it as much as their schedule (school and activities) would allow, would that be a problem?
I don't see why it would be a problem as long as they are not out the vivarium for to long (15 min out then back in to keep warm for an hour or so.) Possibly under adult supervision.
3) do they have a smell?
they have a smell but as long as vivarium is kept clean them they don't smell bad at all.
4) I understand an adult would need protein once a day and veggies once a day, is that right? Do I have to keep live protein (crickets) in the house? Is there a protein source that works better then crickets maybe one that can't hop away from me?
I don't think there is any work around to not feeding them insects although adults can be fed them every other day, it's not just protein but hydration and stimulation from hunting that I think is also important
5) I saw it was best to get a fecal sample checked right off can any vet check that or just one that specializes in reptiles?
I think any general vet could send for a fecal test, would be best to check your current vets and see if they can if not ring others local to you too find out.
6) how much time each day/week do you spend on basic care?
I think at least 15 min daily supervised exercise/exploration outside of the vivarium is needed other than that it's just feeding and cleaning that does not take long at all. Also night time cuddles is popular with keepers
7) do you think keeping cats and bearded dragons is a bad idea?
it can be, but as long as there not out in the same room at the same time and the vivarium is locked/or cat proof there should be no problem many people have both in the same household.
8) anything else you think I should know? I've read most the articles on this forum but it all seems overwhelming.
most of us have learned as we go, most importantly is to get the right lights and other equipment at the start or you will end up wasting money and putting your lizard at risk, pet shops will sell you inadequate equipment like dial temperature readers, incorrect uv lighting etc, Also since you have young children I think it's probably important that you read up on bearded dragons and salmonella the risk of contamination is low but it's best to be aware of the risks with anyone that might have a weaker immune system.
9) I forgot we camp a lot in the summers but we always have a pet sitter come once a day to take care of the cats and chickens would that be fine for a bearded dragon too?
should be fine as long add they can follow basic instructions

My zoo keeps me busy but I've got it down so that each day I don't spend my whole day taking care of pets. i want to make sure I'm not going to get myself in trouble. Haha
We love all of our pets and they get plenty of attention, maybe more them some want. ?

If I missed anything or gave incorrect information I'm sure others will jump in to answer any other concerns you have.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
If you have cats , don't get a lizard (or bearded dragon) unless you are prepared to restrict the cats movements and keep the dragon securely protected in a CAT PROOF viv .

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
NervousNellie":2l210720 said:
We are seriously considering adding a bearded dragon to our family. I have been doing a ton of research but am starting to feel overwhelmed. I'm trying to decide how much a bearded dragon will add to our circus enjoyment/work wise. We currently have two geatric dogs, one in kidney failure, both dogs require special food and medication. We have two awesome indoor cats. The only real outside pets we have are three chickens. We love our chickens and they are as big of pets as our indoor ones. They would like to be indoor pets. So I have a few questions about care because I have zero experience with reptiles. <<< do a LOT of research ,
1) I read somewhere on here that they usually have a BM once a day but here is where I start getting confused can I use a vingear soaked paper towel to just wipe it up? I saw in an article about steam cleaning? Do I have to steam clean its cage regularly or wiping with vingear good? How often do I have to clean the whole cage if I can just spot clean bms? <<< paper towel is very good as a bedding, I use F10 to help spot cleaning , I don't use vinegar or steam.
2)I have a 5 and 7 year old who would want to love on it as much as their schedule (school and activities) would allow, would that be a problem? depends on the child , my 6 yr old grandson has grown up knowing Pop's pet lizards and we taught very young to be gentle with them , is harder to get him to be quiet though. my lizards are used to him but still prefer to give him distance and stay in their tubs and vivs.
3) do they have a smell? only when they poo , don't you too ?
4) I understand an adult would need protein once a day and veggies once a day, is that right? Do I have to keep live protein (crickets) in the house? <<<< YES
Is there a protein source that works better then crickets maybe one that can't hop away from me?
<<< silkworms are good , crickets are very good as feeders.
5) I saw it was best to get a fecal sample checked right off can any vet check that or just one that specializes in reptiles? <<< reptile vet is your best vet even if general vet can look at fecals.
6) how much time each day/week do you spend on basic care? <<< I have 4 pet lizards (2 bluetongue skinks and 2 bearded dragons , all are spoilt rotten and get lots of attention and lots of snuggles each , my wife and I are both retired (both turned 60 this last month) , between caring for the 4 lizards, and their insects (I keep mealworms, superworm, crickets and silkworms)they keep keep me busy , I'd say allow at least 2 hr per day .
7) do you think keeping cats and bearded dragons is a bad idea? EXTREMELY BAD IDEA - WILL END IN TEARS , and badly for the dragon.
See my cheatsheet : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=234738&p=1806050#p1806050
9) I forgot we camp a lot in the summers but we always have a pet sitter come once a day to take care of the cats and chickens would that be fine for a bearded dragon too? <<< VERY BAD IDEA , dragon will be very stressed and scared by the unfamiliar sights and sounds , it's not a dog ! Leave the dragon at home and find someone who knows how to care for him, he's not a chicken or cat , the dragon needs a routine .

NervousNellie

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for all the help I really appreciate all the advice. I was reading older post last night and did realize my cats would be a problem. I hadn't thought about it other then maybe making sure the cats were locked up when it was out. I didn't even think about the cats stressing the bearded dragon out in his home. I'm so glad I asked! Im going to talk things over with my husband but that may be a deal breaker ? I don't want to get one and it be scared or in danger. Our cats have free roam of the house and only get locked up when the girls bring the chickens in or we have lots of children over playing. We had planned to set the habitat up in the dining room. So I'm sure the cats would just sit there and stare at it. ?
Going to put a lot more thought into this, thank you again everyone.

Savora

Hatchling Member
Crickets aren't the only or even ideal protein source--some people here use dubia roaches, which can't climb up slick surfaces and don't hop around (AND don't have that gross cricket smell). Dubia roaches also aren't too hard to start a colony for, with a little research, so they might also be cheaper in the long run if you decide to do that.
I use Phoenix worms, or black soldier fly larvae. They definitely don't do anything but wriggle around, not capable of climbing, running, or hopping. They're also really high in calcium!
I have two cats and one beardie. I don't really let my cats go into the dragon's room. If I had a stand to keep Cactus's viv high off the ground and clear of cats, I'd be more comfortable with it, but as of now I won't--my furry babies are too curious for their own good. Maybe when I get some more money to fully cat-proof Cactus's viv I will.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I agree that unless you keep the beardie in a room that is totally off limits to the cats, then no, don't do it. You should not have a beardie enclosure that is in the same room as a cat is, the cats won't leave the beardie alone, and even if the enclosure is locked and the cats can't get it open, just the cats pawing at the enclosure, staring at it, etc. will cause a bearded dragon great stress and it always end very badly. So if you can set a room with a latching door aside as "totally off limits to cats 100% of the time" and always keep the door shut, then it can work, but how good is locking the enclosure away from the people in the house all the time for the beardie?

MizzMary

Hey there!

I personally never thought i would end up owning one lizard nevermind two. I was offered bad advice from the pet store about housing together etc. That being said over the year i've had them both i've learnt a great deal. I still come to this website and read about peoples problems in hopes to further educate myself incase a situation may arise, so i can possibly better spot a problem with them before its to late.
1) BMs are different between all dragons i've found, I personally spot clean daily, weekly i take the repti carpet out and wash everything down with a mix of warm water and vinegar. Paper towel is the easiest method.
2) Children shouldn't be a problem as long as their taught proper care and respect for animals. I would always just keep an eye out you never know. ( Personally my friends child comes over and he hasn't been taught to respect animals so it enrages me and i refuse to let him touch the lizards unless they are sitting on me)
3) They only have a smell when you don't catch that poo in time to clean it before they tramp right through it and drag it everywhere! lol if this happens i just pop em in a bath and spot clean the area's of the tank.
4) Others have mentioned appropriate feeders and other options so Ill leave it to them on this, mine get salad daily and 2 protein meals. Depending on where you live might make the feeder situation harder. I live in Canada so i can not feed Dubia roaches. My LPS's prices for feeders is criminal. Depending on your situation, ordering online might be a better option for you and keeping the feeders in a small 10g tank.
5) As far as im aware any vet can go and send in a fecal test. You can do this right off the bat to find out if anythings wrong with your beardie, I havn't had any issues arise with mine. (knock on wood)
6) I would say i spend about 2 hours a day give or take. I spend alot of time with my beardies they come out of the cage on a daily basis and roam around for awhile. I wake up early make their salad around lunch depending on work i feed them their protein, then around 4 i feed them again. and before you know it they are ready for bed. Thats when i pull them out and wrap em up on my chest and they crash out on me while im watching a show. Before i hit the hay they go back into their enclosure.
7) The cats and beardies thing is a hot topic on this site as i've read. I have two cats, both my reptile tanks are in my kitchen and i can see both tanks from my living room. When i first got them the cats were interested and i thought "oh no" as time went on the cats dont care at all about them anymore. That being said i keep the cage toppers on when i go to work or am away from the house. because you just never know what can happen. My tanks sit on stands as well, where the cats cant climb up, but im sure if they are crafty enough they would find some way. I havnt had an issue, they have been out and about with the cats around. Never leaving my sight however.
8) The cost to keeping a beardie with the lighting and the enclosure requirements was something all together very expensive. Nevermind the crazy prices at a local pet store for feeders. This is something I wish i had known before purchasing them. With regular changing of the UVB bulb going at a solid 35$ here it adds up quick. I however do not regret my choice to have them. They are something that i've grown to love so much that I cant even think about possibly losing them one day.
9) I've heard of people taking their dragon camping with them, depends on your camping set up etc. If you have a trusted pet sitter it shouldn't be an issue.

They make amazing pets, I love Bilbo & Hannibal to bits. They each have their own little personalities that i love. Its a commitment for sure, just have to ask yourself are you willing to commit to them.

Hope this helps,
M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoonBug
Top Bottom