Bearded dragon nails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumble

I bought a baby bearded dragon one month ago who was born with birth defects which causes one front leg to turn in on him and on the other the hand is flipped .the problem is on the arm where it actually turns in on himself the bone is also shorter with the hand not having much movement apart from the shoulder. he has nails that are hard to reach and starting to grow fast with no way to wear them down on his own .also he walks on his forearm not the hand which faces towards his body .

i recently went into where i got him and talking to someone there they said the vet might actually remove the nails on the hand i was wondering if anyone had heard of a vet doing that or seen a reptile with that done.

just adding on he is healthy but will be seeing a vet for a overall health check up .

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Gently trim the problem nails on a regular basis using a pair of these : http://www.vetproductsdirect.com.au/gripsoft-nail-clipper-small?fee=8&fep=328&gclid=CIj84LfvndICFQokvQodDWADNw or similar , I use these on all my lizards, even used them on Lucky (when he was about 10g . but needed a magnifying glass and bright headtorch to see what I was doing .... !!)

If you get the lizard nice and happy and comfy while nursing and petting it, it will not mind having it's nails trimmed in the least .... just take a mm or 2 of each nail to take the point off.

Mumble

Original Poster
i would cut them if i could but it is the way they sit thats the problem along with him not to happy with people messing with it , hes energetic making it even harder he is going to a vet soon and the guy at the shop said he would cut the ones on the hand i cant get to if i bought him in .
also noticed yesterday one nail already looks like it starting to curl slightly unfortunately its the nail closest to his side .

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
I'd second Nobby, I cut my lizards claws back with a cat claw trimmer.

If he's hard to wrangle, wait til lights are out and he's asleep, take him out gently and take your time to trim them very carefully while he's sleeping/lethargic. If you need more light but don't want to wake him, put a blanket or hand towel over his little head, or wrap him in a way to allow access to just his hands while he sleeps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom