ARM INFECTION! please help :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanjf

My bearded dragon is about 4-6 months old. She lost an arm in a fight with a larger dragon in November/December which is when I took her home. Since then the arm has been well and she has been fine, learning to live without it. Recently, the "stub" has been getting larger and bubble-ish. I thought it was because she was molting (since this is what happened originally when the arm was healing) and that the rest of it was going to fall off once she had finished shedding her skin. However it didn't. I have now learned after taking her to two reptile stores and an animal hospital that her arm is infected. I originally didn't think this was possibly since it was so long after the original injury. I've tried feeding her antibacterial meal but she does not seem to want it. I'm going to try mixing it with something liquid that she does like and using a dropper or feeding syringe to give it to her. Hopefully this will help, but if she will not eat or, or does but the condition worsens, I need advice.

Someone at the reptile store said if I couldn't do anything on my own to bring her to the vet and have them either give her some kind of antibiotic or disinfectant in a shot or just have the whole arm removed. Most local vets that take reptiles are expensive so I don't know if I will be able to do this. Obviously in concern for her health I don't want to wait too long to take here there if it is necessary, but if anyone could give a suggestion on what could be done so she would not have to go to a vet, I would greatly appreciate it.

The person at the store also suggested sterilizing a needle or getting a syringe from a hospital and poking her arm to ease the swelling and get most of the infected matter out, then dipping or soaking it in a mix of hydrogen peroxide and water and putting a safe antibacterial cream on afterwards. I'm not going to try this yet because I don't want to make anything worse, but if it would work, please let me know.

:cry: I don't want to lose her

athenacp

Extreme Poster
Ouch, I don't know if you can use hydrogen peroxide, I think somewhere on this forum I read it will destroy the good tissue as well as the bad. Tracie should be on here soon, but I do know that you can make a solution of betadine and water, it should be the color of weak tea and you can soak her arm in that....the water should be warm, not hot and make sure she doesn't lick it.

Other than that I don't know, if you can post a pic of it so the more experienced people on here can see what it looks like?

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
The only part I can help you with is to NOT use hydrogen peroxide. It is not good for them at all.. you can get betadine to soak it in instead... It can be found at any CVS pharmacy, or I think any pharmacy for that matter... just don't use peroxide.

stanjf

Original Poster
Of course:

2mfhyyt.jpg

21ch946.jpg

mls5cz.jpg

I can add more if you need them.

stanjf

Original Poster
Thank you so far! I'm going to head over to a pharmacy to get the betadine today. Does the needle sound like a good idea if I soak her arm on that after and use an antibacterial cream? I'm worried it will get worse once I put her bad in the tank since it will no longer be a closed wound.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
I would wait to hear from a moderator before doing that.. they would have better knowledge on that.. Go get the betadine, you will need it anyway, and wait until one of them replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I did get your PM so we will converse that way as well.
Wow that arm is very very infected & does need to come off most likely. Does she still have feeling in the arm, yes?
No, do not use hydrogen peroxide, but as suggested, use the diluted betadine as that will not kill all of the cells.
Is there any discharge from the area?

Tracie

stanjf

Original Poster
I got a package of sterilized syringes, betadine, neosporin, and fabric bandages that look like they could fit over the area if and when I do anything (if necessary). Will the neosporin be okay to use? I heard somewhere that it was okay for their skin. If so I didn't know if it would be harmful to ingest so I got the bandages as well but I don't know if I can use those either. I just got the regular original neosporin so nothing was added into it. Is this all okay, or should I try something else? I have other antibacterial creams if that can't be used as well.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The antibiotic ointment will be fine to use on her arm right now.
Is the swelling hard or soft right now?
This is a very hard call because if she has feeling in the arm, it can prove to be very painful for her if you drain the area. There may not be anything to drain out of the area though, I do not know.
I would definitely try to get the Baytril though since she does have an infection. Were you not prescribed any antibiotic from the vet for the arm infection?

Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

stanjf

Original Poster
I decided to go there anyway. The vet actually told me that it's still too early to tell if my dragon is definitely female since "she" is still so young. But it is most likely. $300 today for antibiotics, an anti-inflammatory/pain medication, a culture of the contents of the bubble and to cut the arm open and remove the infected matter, plus a little bandage. $400 next time for a hospital stay, shots, anesthesia and the amputation of the arm. And $40 for every WEEKLY visit until it has healed. So in total I'll probably be spending over a thousand dollars. Whoever said the operation cost $150 for everything was crazy, but in most cases where I saw that their dragon also died after. They said her bone was infected, the amputation will be worth it. I figured it all was since she's not even 6 months yet and has literally her whole life ahead of her.

Can't have any liquid in the tank from now on, I'll have to hand feed her everyday. Both medications once a day and her next appointment is in a week. She didn't like the vet very much but hopefully it will socialize her a little. I'm sure she's just been angry since she isn't feeling well.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Awesome for you for taking that step..A lot of people wouldn't have done that.. She does have her whole life ahead of her.. Keep us updated.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing today?
When are you going to get the procedure done for her?
It is very expensive, but she is so young & this will give her the best chance to reach adulthood that she can get at this point.
Please keep us posted on her & how things go at the next vet's appointment.

Tracie

stanjf

Original Poster
She's not eating, but I contacted the vet so everyday I'm giving her 2 medications and force-feeding her chicken baby food (VERY CAREFULLY). I'm still dangling crickets and worms in her cage and she generally seems to be more interested in them than the day before but she still won't eat them. She's definitely not as active but she's still alert some of the time. I can understand this, though, being that almost half her body and entire arm is in a bandage, and she's getting pain medication.

The procedure is most likely going to take place on Thursday because she has to take the antibiotics for a week first. I'll post more pictures of her and tell you all how she is doing.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is she doing today? I hope she has eaten a little bit for you.
At least she is still pretty alert. I can understand her having to be on the antibiotics prior to the surgery to help decrease the infection & inflammation of the area before surgery.
So, thursday is the day of surgery. I am happy to hear that you will be taking care of her arm. She will be fine without her arm. A lot of dragons have lost limbs, etc & have fared just fine.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom