Sidney : I haven't posted in forever.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I'm starting a new thread for my new dragon and will do a memorial thread for my beloved Zilla, who was my first dragon.

We've had Sid for 5 days now, and wow! I can't believe how different of a dragon he his compared to Zilla! I still consider myself new to beardies since I'd never really even heard of them before around two years ago.

We are still in a learning process with Sid to try and figure out his likes and dislikes with foods and temperature etc. The woman I got him from had a toddler and a three week old baby, and wasn't spending the time with him that she wanted to. She didn't give me a whole lot of info except he loved roaches and didn't eat greens like she thought he should. That he was an every other day pooper and usually only on the left side of his tank. Not even positive what his basking temp was because the end of the thermometer hung down halfway in the back of the tank.

But so far so good with him! He ate a roach the first day and three superworms, but then threw up the next day. A piece of carrot either didn't agree with him, or I hadn't gotten his basking high enough. The next day he didn't eat, but I lowered his light and he eventually started gaping. Yesterday I coaxed him into 10 worms, and today he ate 25! That was WAY more than I intended to feed him, but honestly, it had been SO long since I had seen a healthy beardie eat! He even washed it down with some water dripped onto his nose. I snuggled with him a bunch after that, but new he had to bask so didn't keep him out to long. He promptly black bearded and glass danced to come out, so I took him out. Then he crawled up my shoulder and head and hung out and dozed. I put him back after awhile and he basked.

Here's some pix!!

First day!
25F98CB6-FA51-4E69-B636-38C809A1EDAC_zps3i192m2k.jpg

First day neck snuggles with daddy
A3FFCF45-56A6-4523-81BB-D965563DA110_zps6r3ppywd.jpg

Yesterday, checking out Mt. Shoepile
85263446d89d3db076fcf30f82c24db4_zps50ce7306.jpg

On the couch with his mouth open
fab813f43deb80c21ab5426ffe8daaa3_zpsee38fe48.jpg

Black bearding the back of the couch with his mouth open
19c21b376945e53ea1f5ff75051b040f_zps34a65b50.jpg

Today, very happy to be out of his tank
f9ee190aa6f84038d6c8e561dbe9d219_zpse8e6f6ea.jpg

Black beard fading since he's out of his tank
ef604e899477df898e5e0dadc3a90e01_zps81c41b74.jpg

How we snuggled for awhile after he ate 25 worms
bee88ee49a8e167d6af728568eb93e1c_zpsfc7dd461.jpg

He always touches my cheek or sticks his nose in my ear when he's on my shoulder
0a182261a4867b3f4ae947fcbfcade76_zpsb71a7044.jpg

He was very lazy/sleepy today
5f7075e1712dc042dce0705603a44511_zpsc56b1f67.jpg

Look at that black beard after I put him back to bask!!
9f7c5a441c6fcfd3a18d28e00888ab87_zpse84b2c38.jpg

I have NEVER seen a beard so black!! And look at that one spike. Pretty sure it's shedding.
d48c37dbd889c98d24a08b34a0227d1b_zpsbf6963b8.jpg

But he's a very pretty color! And I think he's got blue eyes!
3effee928e05add421afed88295586e9_zpsbf783c2f.jpg

BrendaKay

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I'm still waiting for the 25 from Sunday to come out!! LOL

I'm going to give him a nice warm soak tomorrow, completely clean his cage and put new liners in and do the roach bin.

But of course between all that there will be plenty of opportunity for new photos. I may have new ones already, just not uploaded to PB. Will catch everyone up on his cuteness tomorrow!!

BrendaKay

Juvie Member
Original Poster
As promised, here are some new pictures.

Perched him on a pillow to look out a different window while I rearranged some things in my home office. After a few minutes:
44F11697-EEB3-43C2-8CD8-3CF6D0A5C259_zpskjwbw8cb.jpg

Close up: how cute!
F7A8EAA5-217D-4CA7-8092-CEC7BABDADF3_zps8svvspte.jpg

I then gave him a bath in the big tub and I think he really enjoyed it! I took two videos, but can't get them uploaded to PB for some reason.

Here he is after he dried off, sitting on his stuffie all proud as a peacock!
23E37A19-615A-4895-8790-BF0AE3E56643_zpspgftthje.jpg

Again.
621C678F-7A4B-4043-80EC-AFC095FC4F65_zpsndncna2c.jpg

This morning after black bearding to come out:
0FBF6741-E95D-45E1-9266-EEE8F566F259_zpstxvozv79.jpg

The blinds were open so trying to show his color:
C06B5CF2-90E3-4F22-A446-2B25D2DBFFC6_zpsj2mofpye.jpg

This was last evening. He laid on me for quite awhile just staring at me. Then all of a sudden he scootched up like that and snuggled to go to sleep.
8CD60643-52F0-4960-80D6-242C82223880_zpsbqmhpyqa.jpg

Yesterday, totally diggin that alligator!
B02F6A76-749E-4BAF-8413-C4217E424552_zpsyvt9bzva.jpg

Day before yesterday, first time I saw him on it after going to it on his own. I think it was that first time. Lol. But you can tell he loves the gator that Zilla hated.
42631C61-9AD7-4CC7-9DF6-1A3FAD336173_zpsoevrwssl.jpg

That's it for now. Will try again to get the videos uploaded.

Oh, and whoever says roaches cannot climb Sterlite bins is a liar!!!! :lol: Those little buggers (keeping it PG, haha) are really good at climbing the inside of their new bin! I'll upload pix later of how I have them now, but I still need to get them warmer. Not sure exactly what kind of heating pad to get. And I think I saw that you can just duct tape it to the outside on the end where they are in the egg crates.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Marvelous pictures! I can't get over how close his coloring is to one of mine. Try putting some clear packing tape around the inside of the roach bin about 6 inches from the top. That's supposed to be too slippery for them to climb.

BrendaKay

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you! I love his coloring and certainly could overload this site with pix!! Lol

Oooooh! Packing tape! I have that! Seeing as hiw we just moved here in November! Now, if I could find it.......

So I uploaded the videos again from my phone, it looks like they uploaded ok, but when I go to the video, it's just a grey box. So I looked at it on my iPad and it doesn't show at all. Hmmm. The one is prolly 90 seconds and the other about 30. Ideas?

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Beautiful pictures, love the one of him with his nose in the corner of your desk. I cannot get over how close to Emily he looks in coloration. His colors are gorgeous. Love his stuffies. Both of mine love theirs and their blankies. Its snowing today here, so mine have pretty much stayed in their tanks so they stay warm. Hope tomorrow is warmer so they can be in their playpen for a bit.

BrendaKay

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you!

So the roaches haven't tried to get out for the last few hours. Once they settled in, I guess they realized they liked their new home. Haha.

I shined a flashlight in their and a lot came out of hiding to eat. I just have to figure out how to make it warmer. I do have a heating pad, but it will shut off after awhile. I don't where to find one that will stay on. Maybe I have to look for a reptile mat, and not the kind people use?

Tonja

BD.org Addict
I have a small reptile under tank heating pad and it keeps the temps about 85-87 degrees, have it on the side of the tank but mine are crickets. I cant seem to get dubias to breed but can crickets lol. You probably just need a small under tank heating pad. I have a thermometer with a probe on it in the tank also so I can monitor the temps. I also, when I had roaches put a small line of Vaseline at the top of the bin about 1/4th of the way down, using a q-tip, they wont cross the Vaseline and it really wasn't messy using a qtip...I found with packing tape the heater kept the glue dried out after a bit so had to replace it. Maybe the kind of tape I was using I don't know but it never stuck for very long at a time.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Oh my, he's just gorgeous and he looks so much more comfy with you guys that he did the first few pics. Congrats! He's so healthy, too, what a good choice for you guys.

BrendaKay

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Tonja":3il1k5c7 said:
I have a small reptile under tank heating pad and it keeps the temps about 85-87 degrees, have it on the side of the tank but mine are crickets. I cant seem to get dubias to breed but can crickets lol. You probably just need a small under tank heating pad. I have a thermometer with a probe on it in the tank also so I can monitor the temps. I also, when I had roaches put a small line of Vaseline at the top of the bin about 1/4th of the way down, using a q-tip, they wont cross the Vaseline and it really wasn't messy using a qtip...I found with packing tape the heater kept the glue dried out after a bit so had to replace it. Maybe the kind of tape I was using I don't know but it never stuck for very long at a time.
zandi202":3il1k5c7 said:
I used the Zoo med heating pad with a dimmer back when I had roaches.
I'm going to pop in at PetSmart today and see what the have. I'm sure it'll be more expensive than online, but at least I'll have it today.

I have a baby shower to get to today at 2, need to leave by 1 and then I have to leave that around 4 so that I can get to a wedding show that ends at 6. That's just a few miles from my house, so after that I will go to PetSmart. I'm excited about the wedding show - I'd like to have the wedding/reception at a unique place here in High Point, and Centennial Station used to be a train depot. There's even an old train still out on the tracks. I heard they plan on up fitting the trai. To be used as maybe a dinner thing, or coffee shop, or something.

Off to start my day!

Brezzy99

Sub-Adult Member
Wow! His colors are beautiful! He looks like he has settled in to his new home. I need to go get my munchkins some stuffies. Right now they have driftwood but I hate the mess they leave. I am OCD about cleaning the tanks daily. Drives me nuts to see people post pictures on here with dirty tanks. One day I will figure out how to upload pictures.

BrendaKay

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hi Deb! Not really closer on the WHEN, but a tad bit closer on the WHERE!!! I'm trying to keep this whole shin dig to a $5,000 budget, dress and honeymoon included. Well ok, maybe not the honeymoon. The venue today estimated a wedding of about 200 people would be around $3000 which includes everything but the food and decorations and music. We'd have maybe half the amount of people, I have most of the key decorations for free and I will use a caterer that we've used at work and who I trust a lot and hoping she cut me a deal. So we will see!!

Hi breezy, thanks for stopping by! Yeah I think this is the first he's been around stuffies and apparently he likes them! Tonight I laid him down half on the steps and half on the alligator and left the house. When I got back, he put himself to bed but had maneuvered himself to be completely on the gator. So dang cute. I covered him and rubbed his back while he fell back to sleep. Heehee

So, I rushed back from the baby shower to get to the wedding show, and then to petsmart to get a heating pad. Well I forgot to go to petsmart. Lol. When I left for the shower, Richard left to look at a coworkers Tahoe they needed to sell. He's borrowing it for a few days to see if we should buy it. He asked me to meet him at the house and he would go to the wedding thing with me, and then we went to eat dinner. So I forgot about petsmart. I know, old age setting in. Heehee. So I'm hanging the CHE over the bin for the night. It's only like 68 degrees in the bin so I'm sure that is way to cold for them. Hope they aren't croaking in there.

But I guess the good news is that we are pretty sure we want this Tahoe. Richard truck has more than 300,000 miles on it and is on its last leg. His coworker needed money and hadn't driven this Tahoe for like a year. It's an '06 and is fully loaded. The outside is in great shape but the inside stinks to high heaven and is pretty trashed. Her husband is a smoker and her kids beat the crap out of the interior. There are a few things mechanically wrong, but for $2500 (we may offer less) we couldn't pass it up. Having it detailed, new tires, new brakes, rotors, bearings and a belt for something, and it's good as new. It's even got third row seating, but we'd probably almost never have them in. I'm stoked because I think a full sized air mattress will fit back there for spur of the moment beach camping. Woot!

Ok, enough blabbering. I have to finish this little sweater for another baby shower this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom