Sidney : I haven't posted in forever.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I'm starting a new thread for my new dragon and will do a memorial thread for my beloved Zilla, who was my first dragon.

We've had Sid for 5 days now, and wow! I can't believe how different of a dragon he his compared to Zilla! I still consider myself new to beardies since I'd never really even heard of them before around two years ago.

We are still in a learning process with Sid to try and figure out his likes and dislikes with foods and temperature etc. The woman I got him from had a toddler and a three week old baby, and wasn't spending the time with him that she wanted to. She didn't give me a whole lot of info except he loved roaches and didn't eat greens like she thought he should. That he was an every other day pooper and usually only on the left side of his tank. Not even positive what his basking temp was because the end of the thermometer hung down halfway in the back of the tank.

But so far so good with him! He ate a roach the first day and three superworms, but then threw up the next day. A piece of carrot either didn't agree with him, or I hadn't gotten his basking high enough. The next day he didn't eat, but I lowered his light and he eventually started gaping. Yesterday I coaxed him into 10 worms, and today he ate 25! That was WAY more than I intended to feed him, but honestly, it had been SO long since I had seen a healthy beardie eat! He even washed it down with some water dripped onto his nose. I snuggled with him a bunch after that, but new he had to bask so didn't keep him out to long. He promptly black bearded and glass danced to come out, so I took him out. Then he crawled up my shoulder and head and hung out and dozed. I put him back after awhile and he basked.

Here's some pix!!

First day!
25F98CB6-FA51-4E69-B636-38C809A1EDAC_zps3i192m2k.jpg

First day neck snuggles with daddy
A3FFCF45-56A6-4523-81BB-D965563DA110_zps6r3ppywd.jpg

Yesterday, checking out Mt. Shoepile
85263446d89d3db076fcf30f82c24db4_zps50ce7306.jpg

On the couch with his mouth open
fab813f43deb80c21ab5426ffe8daaa3_zpsee38fe48.jpg

Black bearding the back of the couch with his mouth open
19c21b376945e53ea1f5ff75051b040f_zps34a65b50.jpg

Today, very happy to be out of his tank
f9ee190aa6f84038d6c8e561dbe9d219_zpse8e6f6ea.jpg

Black beard fading since he's out of his tank
ef604e899477df898e5e0dadc3a90e01_zps81c41b74.jpg

How we snuggled for awhile after he ate 25 worms
bee88ee49a8e167d6af728568eb93e1c_zpsfc7dd461.jpg

He always touches my cheek or sticks his nose in my ear when he's on my shoulder
0a182261a4867b3f4ae947fcbfcade76_zpsb71a7044.jpg

He was very lazy/sleepy today
5f7075e1712dc042dce0705603a44511_zpsc56b1f67.jpg

Look at that black beard after I put him back to bask!!
9f7c5a441c6fcfd3a18d28e00888ab87_zpse84b2c38.jpg

I have NEVER seen a beard so black!! And look at that one spike. Pretty sure it's shedding.
d48c37dbd889c98d24a08b34a0227d1b_zpsbf6963b8.jpg

But he's a very pretty color! And I think he's got blue eyes!
3effee928e05add421afed88295586e9_zpsbf783c2f.jpg

BrendaKay

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Not a whole lot to update with, just been super busy and no time to myself lately. My mom is settling in nicely but has had a lot of doctor appointments lately - so that's just more running around than i'm used to.

Sidney seems to be feeling better after a few shed patches. He's been going outside a lot and also swimming a lot. He LOVES swimming. He is finally eating roaches happily again. He will more readily the smaller ones so that's good. It seems like in just a few months I am overloaded with them again. I guess they do multiply rapidly when he doesn't eat any, so now that he's eating again hopefully he'll keep the colony at bay.

I've got a lot of pix to post and even some of the house as it comes along. We've been acquiring new-to-us funiture, and a few new pieces of furniture, for this house to make it more of a home. I just finished the den and am pleased with it. Need to hang all my pictures still, but that will come. I put the outdoor chaise loungers we just got for a steal inside in my sun room since we don't sit out on the back deck (to hot) and I don't have any sun room furniture. The roaches are in there and seem quite happy, and now i have a table (i need to refinish it - i pulled it off the side of the road) and four chairs in the sun room so i can enjoy the back view without sweating to death. (It's been in the high 90's here.)

Richard said he's going to work on the back yard more this week so i can put my redneck pool back up. It's just one of those 4' high ones from Walmart that was like $250. It's PERFECT!!! We have very unlevel property, but there is a spot that should work fairly easily. Richard rented a bob cat for the weekend a few weeks ago and cleared out the side yard and most of the back. Cleared out all the underbrush a pulled up a few bushes i hated. He's going to plant a little bit of grass and mulch the rest of it for a 'park like setting'. Can't wait, but it's a process!

Well, back to work with me. Will try to upload pix soon.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Glad your mom is doing good.
Sid eating roaches again is fantastic!

Hope you get your yard finished this weekend. I love pools
we can't have one, it would have to go in the backyard where the dogs do business so no pool for us. Our front yard is not fenced in so we share with another neighbor..we dont feel like asking them.

Good luck making the house look amazing!

BrendaKay

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I seriously need to get on here more to update. I have tons of pix, but just haven't had two seconds to myself, let alone to come on here........

But one quick update. Sidney gave me heart failure on Saturday! One of his toes or toe nails got stuck in my ring when I was putting him back in his tank. He realized it quickly and started shaking to break loose, then tried running away. All while still attached and I'm beginning to panic that his toe or leg will twist badly and/or break. I had to grab him back up quickly and he's now got a full on black beard! I'm yelling for Richard to help me because I can't see that close up to see what was wrong to fix it. So then I'm running upstairs in full panic mode holding his toe, my ring, my finger and his fat body to not let him squirm. He wasn't happy. Richard was trying to get my ring off, but that wasn't happening with me holding onto it for dear life. He then somehow turned Sid's toe and it popped loose. Holy cow that was an ordeal. Scared me to death!

I think his nail got stuck in a prong. I hugged him and put him back in his tank and gave him a couple of his favorite blueberries, and he brightened right back up.

Phew!

I'll try to post more soon.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I'm always glad when you post. What a thing to happen to you and Sidney, but glad all is well & that he's happy again. Time for wine for you!

BrendaKay

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ok, I admit it, I had some wine..................... :lol:

It was Chardonnay, which I don't like, so i mixed it with juice and it was sweeter so I was able to drink some...

My boss is away for a few weeks, so i usually get to settle down and get more things done during the day - leaving me more time in the evening and at night to do MY things.

Will try to get pix up soon.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Poor Sidney :( I'm sure you were more stressed over the entire ordeal than he was, but honestly, I would've reacted the same way (if not worse) as you had.

I probably would've drank a lot of wine after that as well.

If your boss is away, does this mean that you're puppy sitting his dog?

BrendaKay

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yes I'm dog sitting for her again. (Boss is a woman.) Luckily, Britta (the dog) is very laid back and no bother. Also luckily, I have no real life and having her doesn't interfere with anything I do. LOL

If it did overlap with plans I had for a weekend or something, one of my co-workers has taken her home for the night. I'm taking a 'hooky' day tomorrow (boss told me to, long story) and since I will be gone from the house all day I'll be dropping the dog off at the office before I leave the area and will stop in and pick her up when I get back. That way she'll still be on her normal schedule in her normal surroundings. What we do for that dog!!

I'll probably bring Sidney in with me at the end of the week, and most of next week. He's so bored. I think. I guess you can't really tell................. but he could use a change of scenery. It's been awhile since I brought him in.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Oops! I knew that your boss was a "she". No clue as to why I said "his" :oops:

They do get bored with just sitting around the house all day long. That's why I bring Pookie into PetSmart when I get the chance, so he could socialize and get some fresh air.

BrendaKay

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Geez it's been three and a half months since I've been on here. Good grief!

Look what I saw today in a discount store. Not sure if it was a good price.....
62668-4334770627.jpg

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I've been following you on Facebook, but have no idea about the Calcium, I don't use powders anymore. How's Sidney doing? And I know you're enjoying your new home and so is your mom, was really glad to see that posted :D

BrendaKay

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I'll try to update here soon. I was surprised my thread wasn't locked....... I do a lot more things on FB only because it's an easy app on my phone.

Yes, settling in to the house nicely. Tomorrow after work a coworker is coming for dinner and to help me finally start hanging things on the walls. I've only done the foyer with all the antique crewel work from my gramma. I think all the furniture is placed now,Mao I can start focusing on the walls. Next up is decorating for Christmas. I'm doing four trees (I think) and need to be done by dec 1. We are hosting a Christmas party on the 5th, and then will have a house full for the holidays!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Sounds like you have you're going to be really busy all November. Nice that you'll get all your pictures up & isn't it great that you have your gramma's crewel work, lovely :D

So how's Sid doing, is he brumating yet?

BrendaKay

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Wow. Almost three months since I've been on here. Well, I think I've been on here, but didn't update my thread. I guess I feel like I don't have anything to say.

Holidays were fantastic! We spent thanksgiving at richards parents new place. 'The Farm' as they like to call it.

Oops, got called away from this to put a stinky Sidney in the tub. Now I need to get ready for work. Will try again later!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom