She saw her shadow.

BPSabelhaus

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Alex
PXL_20240517_181446045.jpg

"Postman gonna drop my squirmy wormy's off today?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Uzzz dontzz seezzz me izz hidezzz goodzzz

BPSabelhaus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alex
Bugs came today lol

Her first time having silkworms. She loves larvae and has had caterpillars before. But never a white one. She was timid and curious for awhile, but gulped em' up :)

BPSabelhaus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alex
Nice :)
Btw.: Being a bit hesitant but curious is the same for my dragon when I introduce new kinds of insects. Sometimes Taco just licked them, hid and stayed in his "I'm overthinking this", and ate them hours later.
She's literally just like my child with feedings.

Bowl of "chicken nuggets" she'll wolf it down. Chicken nuggets with cilantro sprinkled on top?

EW GREEN STUFF!

ChileanTaco

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
@BPSabelhaus

I've been the opposite as a kid (and I'm still): Neighbor hands veggies I don't know from her garden over the fence? Mom, please please let us also plant them! Bowl of fruits and there is one I don't know among the apples, oranges, bananas and such? That's the one I get!

But in what's my dragon the same as me: Loves veggies. The cilantro (I love it and always have some at home) I shared with my dragon? He only ate a bit of it, but he did.
I found out: Veggies he doesn't like are those with hairy leaves.
And he's a bit special in that way that he wants his greens looking like an actual plant. Chopped? Not so much... counts as "edible". A bunch tucked with its end under a stone so he can rip off pieces? Very much! Potted herbs? Also very much! Counts as "delicious".

BPSabelhaus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alex
Alex will eat whole clovers, mint etc... But most greens I need to chop finely and put squirmy wormy's in lol

ChileanTaco

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
Clover I can't get here, mint I tried (a few time, he ate it) but the plant died.
(Was surprised that the plant died as usually mint is something that grows like crazy, and I'm a "green thumb" person, grew up on the countryside on my parent's homestead... but issues are likely that here in the Atacama where I live now, even when I buy soil, the right microbes are missing. Tried starting plants from seeds, barely germinating and if, usually quickly dying off; had success only with basil but even that only barely. Bought oregano - nice plant, gone within a month. What grows here like crazy are the succulents, cacti - nicer than in a botanical garden just on my balcony. But leafy greens, that's not working. Can only feed store-bought.)

BPSabelhaus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alex
Clover I can't get here, mint I tried (a few time, he ate it) but the plant died.
(Was surprised that the plant died as usually mint is something that grows like crazy, and I'm a "green thumb" person, grew up on the countryside on my parent's homestead... but issues are likely that here in the Atacama where I live now, even when I buy soil, the right microbes are missing. Tried starting plants from seeds, barely germinating and if, usually quickly dying off; had success only with basil but even that only barely. Bought oregano - nice plant, gone within a month. What grows here like crazy are the succulents, cacti - nicer than in a botanical garden just on my balcony. But leafy greens, that's not working. Can only feed store-bought.)
I think you missed the growing season in the Atacama by a few thousand years lol

There was agriculture there.

ChileanTaco

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
There was agriculture there.
Yes (looked up a lot about this place and also was visiting some historical sites).

I think with natural vegetation missing and with very few insects, also just the microbes are missing/ aren't transmitted into the soil I buy. Here weeks can go by without seeing an insect and another one, no exaggeration. Where the desert and the ocean meet, there isn't even a belt of vegetation.
I keep enjoying the succulents, and the random hummingbird (yes!) on the balcony enjoying cacti flowers. Otherwise, most wildlife is here connected to the ocean influenced by the Humboldt current (with beaches covered in seashells, with interesting creatures in tide pools, with marine mammals and birds and abundant fish) - of which my dragon at least can enjoy a view of the ocean :D (yes, he often looks at fisher boats going by) and natural sunlight with a lot of UV (supervised, so far usually on the balcony).

Last edited:

BPSabelhaus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alex
Well, you should have access to nopales at least ;) Prickly pear cactus pads (spines and glochids removed) is good dragon food. As are the tuna (fruit)

ChileanTaco

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
Nopales is absolutely no problem (several on the balcony, they grow super easy here and I even have a variety from which any stingy stuff can be removed easily as I eat them myself). I know they can be fed to dragons, but he hasn't liked them so far.
I also offered him tuna which I eat regularly, even more often than I eat apples, but he didn't like them yet.
He has some live plants in his enclosure, aloe (he's not eating that) and golliwog (also known as "turtlevine plant", he's eating that a lot, so I keep three plants in rotation, one in his enclosure and two to regrow on the balcony). All of them - prickly pear cactus, aloe, golliwog - grow very well here. Just everything that's really leafy like most herbs, kale and such: doesn't grow, I can only buy them from the store. (Those come from other parts of the country, like the central region with a climate more similar to e.g. Europe.) I buy a bunch of veggies each week, as we're a couple of two vegetarians ;) Access to veggies is no problem here, just things one needs to grow yourself or needs to go foraging, like clover or dandelions, aren't available.

Last edited:

BPSabelhaus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alex
Dandelions....

The Atacama takes no colonizer lol
I fear that if I ever travel down South, it will be similar to my move out West. Yep, I'm home again lol Unfamiliar but familiar feeling culture? Can't speak with the locals? Perfect place for an Autistic anthropologist lol

Anyway, Alex is dragon sprawling lol

1000012890.jpg
1000012891.jpg

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom