Papa Smurf - pretty on the inside - full of sweetness

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like everyone to meet my new beardie, Papa Smurf. I met Papa Smurf at our local reptile shop last week. He was brought in by two pre-teen girls in a cookie tin, unable to walk, severely malnourished and destined for the freezer. They said they felt sorry for him and hoped he could be helped. He's has a severe case of MBD with jaw, limb and tail deformities. I was drawn to him and I wanted to take him so badly, but we already have our hands full and after the Holidays we were pretty broke.

But then PetCo had a $1/gallon sale and we got two 40-gallon breeders...and there was no excuse for not taking him. The shop owner said he would lend me an entire set-up if we took him saying he knew we would give him a good home, and even though we didn't take him up on the tank and lights loan, I just couldn't leave him there. :cry: :oops:

May I present the glorious Papa Smurf:
6604490397_147fca5456.jpg

This was him the night I got him, December 28th. It took hours to set up the viv for him and the other new beardie we got that same day (yes we are insane LOL) so he got out of his pet carrier around 11:30pm. He looked so sad:
6607478081_a9f0186fa0.jpg

We gave him a midnight soak and he needed full support in the shallow tub water to keep him from drowning. :cry: I was worried I bit off more than I could handle with this sick boy, but after his bath he looked a little bit better. We noticed the blue sand in his eye and used a q-tip soaked in distilled water to gently remove it. Why do people house these poor guys on sand?!? His mouth had sand it in, it was caked on his vent, and his little arms and legs are stained blue. Now you see where he got the name Papa Smurf! He is little, grey-bearded and blue. :lol:
6607575071_85925d968b.jpg

I hope this leg can straighten out. He has a really hard time walking because of it. I had some advice on here about vet wrap to protect his scales and I did buy some so we'll hopefully get him rehabilitated to be able to use this leg. I am kinda worried it may be broken or a prior break that healed wrong.
6604413565_2d99220b7e.jpg

Here he is on December 30th, basking on his little low ladder in his jamming viv. He can't handle furniture right now because he is very crippled and can't really climb or get around, but he doesn't seem to mind. After mounting the UV inside the viv and raising the floor so he can be within about 6 inches, he really perked up. That UV is so important!
6607600233_42a1fd40c8.jpg

Here he is in his little bathtub with 1/2 Pedialyte and 1/2 water. Again he will drown if his head and neck aren't held above the water. He was drinking and drinking and all that thick saliva was running out into the water. After his bath he was swallowing and moving his neck as if we cleared out so much mucous. He looked much more comfortable.
6598446989_d32173c86a.jpg

And of course, after the bath we get a snuggle in the towel. He just lays wherever we put him and behaves so sweetly.
6598447513_373f669533.jpg

And here is how he slept. I was told here in my Beardie ER thread that he needed a night temp of at least 85 degrees since he is sick and it would help his immune system, and it really did make an improvement to the way he woke up the next day. He was much less stiff the next morning and ate breakfast right after waking up.
6598448151_fa52b1c043.jpg

My husband, Otto, told me Papa Smurf may not survive and you just never know with a sick beardie. He is trying to make sure I have a realistic understanding of Papa Smurf's disease because he knows what a softie I am. I've cried over this little guy so much already. His poo is terrible and we know he has parasites. The medication to treat that is pretty harsh so he is worried the treatment may be too much for him. I've been giving him AcidolphiLiz daily hoping to boost that good gut flora in preparation for future veterinary intervention.

Papa Smurf is a sweet lover of a bearded dragon. He is tough and a fighter but gives the sweetest looks. He truly appreciates us and he knows we are trying to help him. He 100% allows us to do whatever we try to do with him and is a total doll. :love5:

Uh-oh I think I have fallen in love..... :oops:

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Kalyn876":2nr6sb2q said:
hehe looks like my fridge door. Glad that pap smurf is doing well and becoming more mobile! Have you considered the serrapeptase? It worked wonders for my 11yr old Hoodoo's joint mobility issues. just a thought :)

Kalyn

Yesss he also gets a powdered calcium complex with d3 and serrapeptase, too! I have to write down every time I give him one of these supplements or I get confused and I forget. It's just so much to keep track of. His main feeder is silkworms and I have 200 silk eggs in a HovaBator right now in the hopes they hatch. I pray we do well raising them because 20 silks are $13 at the reptile shop and it's a lot of moolah!!!

Your beardie is 11 years old! OMG that is so EPIC. How long have you had him?! :shock: I'm glad to hear that serrapeptase really works. That must be why Papa is getting around better. Today is our one week anniversary of having Papa. This time last week he was sleeping in a little cat carrier covered in blue sand. :lol: Right now he is sleeping under a fuzzy blankie and a CHE. :lol: I wish I knew how old he is!

Kalyn876

Sub-Adult Member
Yeah lol Hoodoo is an old guy with great genetics, I have owned him 10 years now I received him from my aunt when he was a year old as my cousin no longer wanted him. She knew I was absolutely in love with him and the rest is history. He gets liquid calcium 3x a week, serrapeptase once a day via syringe and acidophiliz 2x a week on his salad. I hope he lives forever! He is the reason I aquired Tyrus, I just can't say no to a beardie in need lol

Kalyn

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Thanks you guys.. I forgot all about serrapeptase, but after reading your comments, I just bought some for Molly who has a lot of trouble walking and moving. I'm hoping it helps her! and Papa Smurf :D

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
I don't know how fast serrapeptase starts working, but it must be pretty fast. Papa is really moving along. He made it across the living room and up over a 4" sunken living room ledge today in 5 seconds so he could furiously head-bob at Maya. No way he could move that fast a week ago! I hope it helps your Molly. Beardeddragon.co has a Calcium complex with d3 and serrapeptase that is a very fine powder, much finer than the regular calcium we had on hand. It sticks very well to feeders due to its fine grain.

I'm sorry to flood the world with Papa Smurf pictures, but I swear every day he looks a bit better!

Here he is literally leaping into the air to get at Ginger. She was arm-waving at him and he was going crazy:
6644247121_4bc4ae61ce.jpg

Jenna8359 posted a picture of Mauri in my MBD advice thread and it helped me understand how to wrap his leg to protect his scales. The wrap does more than that! It gives him more control of that front leg and support/strength. He's hauling butt around the house now! Thanks, Jenna!
6644245863_86675de025.jpg

And here is another after-bath pic - his only real color is around his eyes. I've been wanting to give him a little carrot every day to see if he will color up but I know I can't rush it. My little grey guy....!
6644246429_eb1806b1b9.jpg

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
The more pictures the better! I think everyone will agree that we all love pictures.

I have Molly on Liquid Calcium, and just got the Serrapatase today so can't wait to start trying it out this week.

Kalyn876

Sub-Adult Member
He looks fantastic!! I noticed a difference in Hoodoo the first day on the liquid serrapeptase I was truly amazed and I am now a firm believer in it.

I just can't believe how different papa smurf looks already!

Kalyn

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Kalyn876":otbpnnzq said:
He looks fantastic!! I noticed a difference in Hoodoo the first day on the liquid serrapeptase I was truly amazed and I am now a firm believer in it.

I just can't believe how different papa smurf looks already!

Kalyn

What dose do you give?

FranktheTank

Gray-bearded Member
He looks amazing!!! Way to go Papa Smurf, keep up the incredible progress. You're doing such a fantastic job with him, and I agree the more pictures the better.

-Kaleen

Kalyn876

Sub-Adult Member
Hey Laura,

The concentration is 15mg/ml so Hoodoo weighs 348g so he gets 0.35ml once a day in the morning. I store my serrapeptase in the fridge so it keeps longer. Once I get it in the syringe I run it under hot water for a couple mins to warm it up.

Kalyn

ChiefsDaddy

Gray-bearded Member
Kalyn876":17tplgeg said:
Once I get it in the syringe I run it under hot water for a couple mins to warm it up.

Duh! Why didn't I think of that? Beardies are not fans of cold liquids IME.

Kalyn876

Sub-Adult Member
ChiefsDaddy":chobfdgh said:
Kalyn876":chobfdgh said:
Once I get it in the syringe I run it under hot water for a couple mins to warm it up.

Duh! Why didn't I think of that? Beardies are not fans of cold liquids IME.

I learned the hard way lol Hoodoo drew blood on my arms a couple times just by thrashing while triyng to administer... now that I warm it up he takes it like a champ!

Kalyn

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
I am so lucky that Papa Smurf will eat anything out of a syringe. He has that little mouth-pocket so I just get a drop there and it absorbs right in and then he's ready for the rest. I will literally yank the syringe out of my hands if I am not careful, he is such a little piggy.

Today he got 10 waxworms, 5 silks and then had the nerve to refuse his collards. :roll: He loves pre-adult crickets but they have a harder shell so we only feed a couple every few days. Boy, when he gets a cricket he is very excited about it. :lol:

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Esther19":33xrktf2 said:
What a cute post-bath picture! You're doing an incredible job with him. :D

Thanks!!! :D :D He is just so easy to love and to nurse, honestly he is a very good patient. You know how they say it takes more than just a good doctor to cure someone? The patient has to want to get better and want to be helped. Other than a little greens-refusal, he eats whatever is put in front of him and takes all his medicines. He allows himself to be bathed, held, he gets under the UV...he truly takes advantage of what he is given. I've taken care of sick animals that I had to force-feed and force meds down, and he isn't like that. It's helped and I think because he is such a cool guy he is taking 100% advantage of all of the help and care.

His attitude makes me want to do more for him. In Catholic school I had a 4th grade teacher who was a nun, Sister Kathleen, and she told us all the time, "God help those who help themselves." And it is true even for animals. We can only do so much for them. They have to try to get better, too. They have to have some sense about them, and I think he's a smart guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom