Papa Smurf - pretty on the inside - full of sweetness

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like everyone to meet my new beardie, Papa Smurf. I met Papa Smurf at our local reptile shop last week. He was brought in by two pre-teen girls in a cookie tin, unable to walk, severely malnourished and destined for the freezer. They said they felt sorry for him and hoped he could be helped. He's has a severe case of MBD with jaw, limb and tail deformities. I was drawn to him and I wanted to take him so badly, but we already have our hands full and after the Holidays we were pretty broke.

But then PetCo had a $1/gallon sale and we got two 40-gallon breeders...and there was no excuse for not taking him. The shop owner said he would lend me an entire set-up if we took him saying he knew we would give him a good home, and even though we didn't take him up on the tank and lights loan, I just couldn't leave him there. :cry: :oops:

May I present the glorious Papa Smurf:
6604490397_147fca5456.jpg

This was him the night I got him, December 28th. It took hours to set up the viv for him and the other new beardie we got that same day (yes we are insane LOL) so he got out of his pet carrier around 11:30pm. He looked so sad:
6607478081_a9f0186fa0.jpg

We gave him a midnight soak and he needed full support in the shallow tub water to keep him from drowning. :cry: I was worried I bit off more than I could handle with this sick boy, but after his bath he looked a little bit better. We noticed the blue sand in his eye and used a q-tip soaked in distilled water to gently remove it. Why do people house these poor guys on sand?!? His mouth had sand it in, it was caked on his vent, and his little arms and legs are stained blue. Now you see where he got the name Papa Smurf! He is little, grey-bearded and blue. :lol:
6607575071_85925d968b.jpg

I hope this leg can straighten out. He has a really hard time walking because of it. I had some advice on here about vet wrap to protect his scales and I did buy some so we'll hopefully get him rehabilitated to be able to use this leg. I am kinda worried it may be broken or a prior break that healed wrong.
6604413565_2d99220b7e.jpg

Here he is on December 30th, basking on his little low ladder in his jamming viv. He can't handle furniture right now because he is very crippled and can't really climb or get around, but he doesn't seem to mind. After mounting the UV inside the viv and raising the floor so he can be within about 6 inches, he really perked up. That UV is so important!
6607600233_42a1fd40c8.jpg

Here he is in his little bathtub with 1/2 Pedialyte and 1/2 water. Again he will drown if his head and neck aren't held above the water. He was drinking and drinking and all that thick saliva was running out into the water. After his bath he was swallowing and moving his neck as if we cleared out so much mucous. He looked much more comfortable.
6598446989_d32173c86a.jpg

And of course, after the bath we get a snuggle in the towel. He just lays wherever we put him and behaves so sweetly.
6598447513_373f669533.jpg

And here is how he slept. I was told here in my Beardie ER thread that he needed a night temp of at least 85 degrees since he is sick and it would help his immune system, and it really did make an improvement to the way he woke up the next day. He was much less stiff the next morning and ate breakfast right after waking up.
6598448151_fa52b1c043.jpg

My husband, Otto, told me Papa Smurf may not survive and you just never know with a sick beardie. He is trying to make sure I have a realistic understanding of Papa Smurf's disease because he knows what a softie I am. I've cried over this little guy so much already. His poo is terrible and we know he has parasites. The medication to treat that is pretty harsh so he is worried the treatment may be too much for him. I've been giving him AcidolphiLiz daily hoping to boost that good gut flora in preparation for future veterinary intervention.

Papa Smurf is a sweet lover of a bearded dragon. He is tough and a fighter but gives the sweetest looks. He truly appreciates us and he knows we are trying to help him. He 100% allows us to do whatever we try to do with him and is a total doll. :love5:

Uh-oh I think I have fallen in love..... :oops:

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
dragonlover3":1ygsvh0a said:
Today my 2 neglected, sickly, underweight, infected dying Beardies Talon and Moya are mostly healthy, happy and spoiled rotten! They give me such love back! The whole hell of an experience was worth it every time I look into their eyes!
Amanda

I re-read this for moral support :) and reassurance and I just read the names of your beardies....!!! Are their names from a Sci-fi TV show that came out a few years ago with Claudia Black? I can't remember the name of the show but I watched it all the time and those strike me as the names of living spaceships..? Have I lost my mind? :lol: :lol:

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
TASTIGER":w7ty26vs said:
his name suits him :love5: he looks so much better

He looks better each day! Unbelievable. And he is always so happy to see us and he perks up when we say his name! Already!!!

dylanravenj":w7ty26vs said:
Hehe he is a cutie! He's looking very alert :) Keep up the good work!

Thank you! Once we get him strong we will be using him to educate people on MBD and improper husbandry. You can verbally tell someone that they need all of these particular needs met (viv, lights, calcium, diet) but I think people have to actually see sufferring to understand it.

RandyMarsh":w7ty26vs said:
this is the saddest story with a happy ending ever. Poor little man! Good work!

It really IS a sad story...think about what we know about bearded dragons. Their little needs and wants, and all the luxuries we give ours. They know when they are spoiled, so they must also know when they are not cared for.
lauraj1055":w7ty26vs said:
Just want to say what a great thing you are doing! I'm sure you will get meat on those bones in no time! He's super cute. :love5:

MEAT ON THEM BONES! I would love to be able to pinch one of his legs and feel the yummy meat like we can on our other dragons. LOL!!!

FranktheTank

Gray-bearded Member
He's looking soooo good!! It's so incredible the difference from the first night to today. I have a gut feeling he's going to be fairly normal and ok too. Thank you for giving him a second chance, you're not just his hero, you're his angel!

-Kaleen

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
FranktheTank":2d0uvye9 said:
He's looking soooo good!! It's so incredible the difference from the first night to today. I have a gut feeling he's going to be fairly normal and ok too. Thank you for giving him a second chance, you're not just his hero, you're his angel!

-Kaleen

I think he will be okay, too, I really do. :D Today has been a great day so far. He had his first formed poo! I will spare you all a poo pic :lol: but it was so much better than the green water that he has been having. Otto did a fecal and found some parasites. We don't know what they are, but the vet will.

And for the incredible part of all of this....HE ATE GREENS. :!:

He only has 3 teeth on the left and one on the right and he wont' touch greens. Even Ben at Pangaea Pets said he never ate them. Well, he did today and he ate them with as much interest and vigor as he does silkworms, no lie.

I cut the collard greens into slivers about 0.3cm in width and 1" long and put them in my small shake blender. It has two blades and isn't the greatest but it's what I have, so it's the tool for the job right now. I added a few TBSP of water and some of the calcium complex powder with the serrapeptase. I blended it repeatedly, but it really only made green water :lol: - I felt a little frustrated because I envisioned baby food as a result and that isn't what I got. Then again, it didn't seem like a bad thing. I did get this nutritious collard green juice infused with calcium complex.

You can't see the water in there very well because it is under all the greens, but when I tipped the bow I was able to suck the collards juice into a needless syrings. Here is what it looked like:
6620611959_86def38cd7.jpg

I put a few drops of the water into his little deformed mouth-pocket and he had a shocked reaction and didn't seem impressed. I just kept giving him a few drops at a time and he would let it absorb into his mouth and then he started licking at it and looked at me as if to say, "Mom, that was good!" I kept at it and then I took a few shreds of the actual greens and put it on his mouth-pocket and then put a few drops on top of it and he ate it! Then he looked at me for more.

He ate them out of my fingers! I am so encouraged and thrilled. :blob8: :blob8: :blob8:

Look at this guy!!!
6620613569_39bfecdf10.jpg

Isn't that cool?

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
RandyMarsh":3o4xjwj3 said:
Hehe a lizard intellect is no match for the sneaky feeding powers of MOOOM!!!!

HAHA I would like to think I have some sneaky feeding powers! :lol: He doesn't seem to think he is as handicapped as I seem to think he is. Guess I am being too protective of him, because I was syringe-feeding him liquid collard juice and calcium this morning and it just wasn't fast enough for him and he bit on the syringe and tried to rip it out of my hands. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Also I dropped some greens on the floor of his viv and he went after them and ate them. Today I am going to put the greens in a shallow bowl and let him eat out of it himself and see how he does, and just syringe feed the liquid. If he really can be more independent with eating I want that. I don't want to train him that he can only eat out of my hand.

I went into Pagaea Pets (that's the place that initially took him in) and showed some pictures and it was nice to share the good news that he is doing better. They really care about their reptiles there and they have their hearts in the right place. :)

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
OOPS OOPS OOPS we have been feeding turnip greens and not collards. :lol: Otto just set me straight.

Kalyn876

Sub-Adult Member
It's amazing that he's eating his greens so readily! In my experience beardies who haven't had to eat greens don't want anything to do with them. Both my guys love collard and turnip greens. He must think he's in a beardie resort! :)

Kalyn

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Kalyn, I was shocked that he would eat them especially since the reptile shop told me he has never touched salads. Then again, we buy really fresh, nice greens. They are not bagged, pre-prepped salads like I have seen. We buy a whole bundle of fresh greens in the produce section.

I was wondering if he came to like them because I was giving him the juice from a syringe. So it was like turnip-green flavored water. Then the next step up from that was bits of the blended greens from my hand. It's not like just tossing pieces of greens in a plate or sticking it in their face 'hoping" they will try it...

I wonder if that might be a way to get a beardie to like greens that normally wouldn't even try them?

Smurf does have this open pocket-thing at the front of his mouth where his jaw is deformed, and he can't control what I place there. HEE HEE HEE. So he really didn't have the chance to refuse or to put up a fight.

OR he's just been so starved that he will eat anything...missing so many teeth has to be a hardship for him.

Tonight I am going to see about carrot to try and get some beta-carotine into him and see if he can color up a bit more. My Mom has a killer juicer so I was thinking I could go over to her house and juice some vegetable blends and get that pulp that is left over and let him eat that, then add the liquid calcium to the juice and syringe-feed him that as well.

My mind won't stop going over and over what I can do to help him. Otto and I have had the talk that I need to be careful not to rush his recovery. I already was told he can't have all the protein I can shove down him :lol: because it can cause kidney problems in such a malnourished guy. So I've been working on other foods he can eat. Tonight I am going to get back on the beautifuldragons nutrition page and do some more research. :blob8:

RandyMarsh

Sub-Adult Member
ShannyBeard":2363ld5d said:
Kalyn, I was shocked that he would eat them especially since the reptile shop told me he has never touched salads. Then again, we buy really fresh, nice greens. They are not bagged, pre-prepped salads like I have seen. We buy a whole bundle of fresh greens in the produce section.

I was wondering if he came to like them because I was giving him the juice from a syringe. So it was like turnip-green flavored water. Then the next step up from that was bits of the blended greens from my hand. It's not like just tossing pieces of greens in a plate or sticking it in their face 'hoping" they will try it...

I wonder if that might be a way to get a beardie to like greens that normally wouldn't even try them?

Smurf does have this open pocket-thing at the front of his mouth where his jaw is deformed, and he can't control what I place there. HEE HEE HEE. So he really didn't have the chance to refuse or to put up a fight.

OR he's just been so starved that he will eat anything...missing so many teeth has to be a hardship for him.

Tonight I am going to see about carrot to try and get some beta-carotine into him and see if he can color up a bit more. My Mom has a killer juicer so I was thinking I could go over to her house and juice some vegetable blends and get that pulp that is left over and let him eat that, then add the liquid calcium to the juice and syringe-feed him that as well.

My mind won't stop going over and over what I can do to help him. Otto and I have had the talk that I need to be careful not to rush his recovery. I already was told he can't have all the protein I can shove down him :lol: because it can cause kidney problems in such a malnourished guy. So I've been working on other foods he can eat. Tonight I am going to get back on the beautifuldragons nutrition page and do some more research. :blob8:

Another thing that might be cute is to feed him babyfood out of an eyedropper!

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
RandyMarsh":kh1tocvn said:
Another thing that might be cute is to feed him babyfood out of an eyedropper!

Ohhhh he's getting too strong for that. This morning I wasn't feeding him fast enough and he ripped the syringe out of my hand. :lol: :lol:

This afternoon I mixed a very small amount of chicken baby food with some minced turnip greens and he ate that happily. :) He knows it got cold outside, though. He keeps trying to hide under his ladder and sleep by 5:00. He just started doing that when we got the cold front. He can't have a hide yet so he looks super pitiful trying to hide under the ladder. Oh well.

We got all the liquid supplements from Beardeddragon.co and it's a lot of bottles! He takes it all from the syringe without any problem, though. Here it all is...!
6637913435_5334ca91ba.jpg

Also, I wrapped his little twisted left arm and he can walk better. I got some of that vet wrap and supported his wrist all the way up to his armpit and he's really moving around.

Every little bit of advice I have received from this forum has made a huge difference in his quality of life. Thanks, everyone. :D

Kalyn876

Sub-Adult Member
hehe looks like my fridge door. Glad that pap smurf is doing well and becoming more mobile! Have you considered the serrapeptase? It worked wonders for my 11yr old Hoodoo's joint mobility issues. just a thought :)

Kalyn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom