Ongoing diarrhea..need help!*

JayDeeCee*43

Beardie name(s)
Joe Schmoe
My beardie has smelly diarrhea for 3 months now. He has been to the vet 3 x"s in the last 2 months. The first visit he was given a standard parasite treatment and followup in 6 weeks. This did nothing. Followup, another fecal, and was treated for , starts with a C, i will find out for sure today after appt. He was given a different antibiotic 2 doses. He still has stinky diarrhea. Im have the appt today, i just need any input to give the dr to help him fix this. It is getting expensive. Quick background on beardie. my daughter brought him home in December. i have done my homework and his set up is on point...temps ✔️...diet ✔️...uvb and a ✔️ enclosure size 47"'s....basking and cool points ✔️. He came here with the loose stools...i did not know this was not normal until a month after getting him all set up. i assumed their poop just stunk...after more research...this is not the case. I have him looking healthy, but again, this us all new for me. i am doing my best and it seems like its just not good enough. i am an animal lover and this is really starting to get to me...i want him healthy and happy. PLEASE HELP!

Attachments

• PXL_20240411_174252312.jpg
    PXL_20240411_174252312.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 25
  • PXL_20240312_025837356.jpg
    PXL_20240312_025837356.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 23
  • PXL_20240411_174210891.jpg
    PXL_20240411_174210891.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20240411_174242264.jpg
    PXL_20240411_174242264.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 24

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My beardie has smelly diarrhea for 3 months now. He has been to the vet 3 x"s in the last 2 months. The first visit he was given a standard parasite treatment and followup in 6 weeks. This did nothing. Followup, another fecal, and was treated for , starts with a C, i will find out for sure today after appt. He was given a different antibiotic 2 doses. He still has stinky diarrhea. Im have the appt today, i just need any input to give the dr to help him fix this. It is getting expensive. Quick background on beardie. my daughter brought him home in December. i have done my homework and his set up is on point...temps ✔️...diet ✔️...uvb and a ✔️ enclosure size 47"'s....basking and cool points ✔️. He came here with the loose stools...i did not know this was not normal until a month after getting him all set up. i assumed their poop just stunk...after more research...this is not the case. I have him looking healthy, but again, this us all new for me. i am doing my best and it seems like its just not good enough. i am an animal lover and this is really starting to get to me...i want him healthy and happy. PLEASE HELP!
Please get a piece of basking decor directly under the UVB 12-15 inches --- what is his diet ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Have you tried getting him on some probiotics, to help settle his tummy? You can try some non
dairy organic soy yogurt or non dairy acidophiliz either one to help out. How close to bedtime or
lights out does he eat?

Tracie

JayDeeCee*43

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Joe Schmoe
Yes...that makes sense about setting something up under uvb...I will add today. Dusted greens and dubias or crickets. Once in a while dried super worms, he freaks out he loves them. Fruits added once a week to his greens (blueberries, strawberry tops, banana)
I try to add color with carrot shavings, squash, and HE LOVES SWEET POTATOS. I do my best to mix it up for him. Always dusted. Now I do not know anything about probiotics...I will do research. I feed him different times...but at least 2 hours after on and before lights out. His schedule is 9:15am - 9:25pm set on timer. The vet gave him a dose of Ponazuril in office and I gave him the second dose yesterday (48 hrs). He is off and it's making me uneasy...last night I thought he was dead! Today he ate, I gave hims all his favorites. Then he went back into his cave. I hope it's just a tummy ache and he recovers quickly. I will let you know when he poops...then I will know if this round of antibiotics works. I added a nice long piece of drift wood for him to use..I'll add a photo when his lights are on.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your boy doing today, is he starting to feel better now? The Ponazuril is very safe, so hopefully he didn't have some type of reaction to it.
Be sure to keep him hydrated in case the medication dried him out a bit or upset his tummy. Probiotics do seem to help quite a bit.
His diet sounds very good, so keep up with his veggies & greens. That's good you give him ample time after his last meal, before the lights go out so he can digest.
Keep us posted on how he is doing.

Tracie

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom