**Mega Ray Issues** / Megaray RECALL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrkngpen

Juvie Member
gulfbrzdawn":326ec said:
Mrkngpen... So far I have read only of the 100w SB MegaRays and one possible 160W having the problem. Did you order the bulb directly from Reptile UV?
I would like to think if you ordered the bulb within the past few weeks, that the problems they were encountering had already been discovered and you received a good bulb. I cannot be 100% sure of that. Your best bet would be to call or email John at the above #/address.
meathead":326ec said:
The new bulbs are putting out way to much UV, to correct the problem they have coated the bulbs with a white frosting to tone it down to the proper uv level. If you notice any peeling of the frosting you have to return it immediately. They were very good about doing this in a timely manner for me.
Yes, I did order the bulb directly from Reptile UV. And I noticed when I looked at it that it did have a white frosted coating on it, so I guess it has already been treated for the problem. If I wanted to get a UV meter, where is the best place to get one?

JMWolff12

Hello Everyone,
My name is John Wolff, and I am the shipping and sales manager at Reptile UV. As I am sure you have noticed, there has been a lot of talk recently about animals having an adverse reaction to our bulb, and I would like to take the opportunity to address it directly.
Very recently we discovered that the company that manufactures our bulbs received a shipment of an extremely clean and clear quality glass. While normally this would be a good thing, for our purposes it is not. With this exceptionally clear glass we started seeing UV levels that were too high and potentially harmful. We immediately took steps to correct the issue for existing product, modifying bulbs with an etching spray that would diffuse the UV levels and make them safe to use. We have actually been doing this for years for our “Low UV” 100 Watt and 60 Watt bulbs.
Unfortunately, it appears that the modification quite literally did not stick. Some of the bulbs began to burn or peel, causing the higher levels of UV to get through.
This has caused us a great deal of concern, as this company was founded with the sole intent of increasing the quality of life and health of captive reptiles, and that is still our main concern to this day. We will soon be posting an official response and recall on certain bulbs that we believe to have been affected. We will also be posting this response on the forum here, as well as on the UV guide UK and on our home page on the website.
We refuse to hide from the issue, but instead will address it head on, making every effort possible to correct the error, and retain the trust of our loyal customers. Our bulb has been the best on the market for many years now, and it will remain so, as we never allow our standards to drop.
For right now, if any of you have received a bulb from us that is peeling from the face of the bulb, or if your animal is showing any signs of sensitivity in their eyes, we are asking that you immediately contact us at [email protected] so that we can correct the matter as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Your pet’s health and care is and always will be our main concern. While we do stand by our products, we strive for perfection knowing it can never be attained. Thank you for your understanding and continued support while we get this situation rectified.
A few key things to take away from this are listed below.

1. DO NOT under any circumstances remove the frosting from your bulb.
2. If you notice any peeling from the face of your bulb, immediately remove the bulb and contact us.
3. Watch for any signs of eye sensitivity in your pet, and immediately remove the bulb and contact us if this is observed.
4. The glass we got in that caused this issue is not “bad glass” but is actually too clean a quality and we are addressing this as aggressively as we can to get the situation taken care of and ensure your animals continued health.
5. The company that manufactures these high quality bulbs for us has been testing with UVB and UVC meters for years, and has now agreed to begin testing the bulbs at their location with a UVI meter that we supplied for them before the bulbs ever reach us. We will continue to test the bulbs here, to provide added protection from this ever happening again.

6. I would like to extend a special thanks to Dawn Cesar, who was kind enough to contact me and post an abbreviated response yesterday morning in reference to this matter. Thank you Dawn, your care and concern are right in line with the principles we hold so dear here at Reptile UV.

John Wolff

lilacdragon

Hatchling Member
Dear friends:

I have just received an email from John Wolff from ReptileUV, containing the same information he has posted below.

As I've just posted on the "sticky" thread on this same topic, I will be posting the information he has sent me on the front page of UV Guide UK as soon as I can.

It is good to see such an immediate and positive response from a company.
I will be contacting ReptileUV by phone later today to find out more, but this information seems very comprehensive and ties in very much with what folks have described on this forum.

Best wishes

Frances

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
I also think his letter should be sent to the corpotate offices of ANY of the petstore that carry the MEGARAY as they will continue to sell it unless they get a note about a recall.

JMWolff12

Hello again,

I just wanted to address another situation that was posed by one of our readers. We are making every effort to track down and recall any affected bulbs, and this does include our distributors. One way or another, we will get this taken care of and make sure all parties involved are happy, and their pets healthy.

John Wolff

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Thank you for the prompt response to the situation.I have added this thread as an announcement for the best possible exposure.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
I would like to thank John as well, for coming on here and reinforcing ReptileUV's concern for the welfare of our pets. It is nice to know that ReptileUV stands by their product and is willing to do whatever it takes to right this situation.

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
Nice to hear from them, and things certainly do make a bit more sense now.
I wish however they would have included a special note about the frosting on the bulbs, because as soon as mine started to flake I wiped most of it off with soft towel. Now I guess my question is, where do I go from here? I haven't noticed any eye issues in either of my dragons, though its only been a few days. How soon will these issues begin to develop?

Also, does anyone have any idea about the UV output of these "high quality glass" bulbs? If its just a matter of increased uv output, then wouldn't placing the bulb farther away be a solution? That is unless, the increased UV output is in the improper range.

Some of these questions might be better answered with an email to ReptileUV. I am hoping I got lucky with my bulbs, and can avoid the hastle of sending them back.

Anyways, many thanks to the folks at ReptileUV for making a stop here. It is appreciated.

sbattisti

Juvie Member
BadCon":a5372 said:
Nice to hear from them, and things certainly do make a bit more sense now.
I wish however they would have included a special note about the frosting on the bulbs, because as soon as mine started to flake I wiped most of it off with soft towel. Now I guess my question is, where do I go from here? I haven't noticed any eye issues in either of my dragons, though its only been a few days. How soon will these issues begin to develop?.

I dunno, his response seemed pretty straightforward, BadCon:

"If you notice any peeling from the face of your bulb, immediately remove the bulb and contact us."

Doesn't seem that wiping it off would change that. You should remove the bulb and contact them!

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
For those of you who have not seen it there is now also a global sticky thread posted by John here:
[ Invalid URL Removed / p= t=121951 f=45 ]

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello John,

Thank you John for being so prompt with your responses & with fixing this problem for all of the reptiles involved. We appreciate all of the work you do in ensuring the safety & quality of the bulbs for everyone.

Tracie

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
In the intrests of keeping all information in one central location I have combined Dawn's and John Wolff's thread together.

JMWolff12

Update:

I have noticed a few questions as to when this first became a problem. From our logs we believe that the issue first arose back in late October. That is when we initially started having to more heavily modify the bulbs, and we first started getting reports of burning or peeling on the face of the bulb in late November. The reports of health issues, unfortunately, did not reach us until very recently, at which point we had already begun to address the problem.

Every case we have dealt with so far has involved eye sensitivity, and some cases that have had longer exposure have seen decreased activity levels and appetite. To be on the safe side, if you are using a bulb purchased in October or later, and note any of those symptoms in your animal, we want to know about it. Better safe than sorry.

In my initial response to Dawn, I included both the email address and the phone number to contact me at. While everyone is more than welcome to contact me via phone, I want to state now that email is much more reliable. It allows me to keep a record of all known issues, and keep files on site about correspondence with my customers.

I expect a brand new batch of bulbs in next week that we have been informed has been tested with the UVI meter we provided our manufacturer, and has been cleared to ship. We will continue to do testing in our own facility as well to ensure the safety and well being of your animals.

Thank you all so much for your support and understanding.

John Wolff

foto69man

Hatchling Member
I was unfortunately on leave, and marvin was being watched. He had/has a mega-ray bulb for awhile. What are the possibilities of his porlonged exposure to the bad bulbs? Whn i take him out of his tank he seems fine and keeps his eyes open, but could there be possible permanent damage to his eyes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harobuilt
Top Bottom