**Mega Ray Issues** / Megaray RECALL

Status
Not open for further replies.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
You're welcome Alyssa! I'm just glad that you figured it out now and not later. From what I've heard... the beardies eyes instantly start doing better once the light is removed :D

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Thanks Dawn, for helping out the new people here it is greatly appreciated.
Accidents do happen & at least they are honest enough to admit that the fault is on their end, & not trying to ignore their customers. I still stand by their products 100% as well because of their customer service.
Most places just will not get back with you in cases such as that.

I hope your new bulb will get to you soon.

Tracie

beardieluv

Sub-Adult Member
I'll make sure to update when his eyes improve. I might even have to take a picture of his cute little face to show you his once again bright gorgeous eyes :D

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
Ok this is somehat hijacking and it's probably a really stupid question... BUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTT for those of you who use Mega Ray, do you have a seperate UVB and basking light ? Or is it not needed ?? :oops:

beardieluv

Sub-Adult Member
I use the megaray for heat and uvb, and then a 40 w bulb right next to it. The MVB itself keeps the temp at around 98 and the 40 w ups it to around 104. I also use two flourescent tube bulbs for extra light.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I'm glad to read this thread. I had read some people say their beardies were closing their eyes and were fine when the mega rays were turned off. I wondered at the time as all I've heard about the mega rays were good things. This shows how John at reptile uv is really concerned about the health of reptiles, not just beardies. He made sure that the bulbs were made correctly in the future.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey rainbow... the mvb's are both heat and uvb in one bulb. So that would be your basking light and uvb. It is recommended with any mvb/uvb source, that you use an extra white light to protect the beardies eyes from the uvb. Not only that, but like Alyssa mentioned... it helps maintain temps as well.

Mrkngpen

Juvie Member
Are the problem bulbs EBs or SBs? Any specific wattages? I ordered a 100W SB a couple weeks ago for a friend who got a baby beardie but I don't know if I'm going to end up giving to them or saving it for when I need to replace mine (not for 6 months or so). If mine is possibly one of the faulty bulbs, I wonder if I should put in for a week or so to make sure so that I can get it replaced now if necessary.

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
beardieluv":6f29d said:
I use the megaray for heat and uvb, and then a 40 w bulb right next to it. The MVB itself keeps the temp at around 98 and the 40 w ups it to around 104. I also use two flourescent tube bulbs for extra light.

gulfbrzdawn":6f29d said:
Hey rainbow... the mvb's are both heat and uvb in one bulb. So that would be your basking light and uvb. It is recommended with any mvb/uvb source, that you use an extra white light to protect the beardies eyes from the uvb. Not only that, but like Alyssa mentioned... it helps maintain temps as well.

Ok so lets say I do purchase the mega ray PLUS an extra bulb to mantain the temp. Do I still need an extra UVB bulb ? Because my dilemma right now is.. instead of getting two Reptisun, two basking bulbs, etc, I plan on just getting the Mega Ray plus the extra bulb as you recommend. Would that be enough UVB ?

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Mrkngpen... So far I have read only of the 100w SB MegaRays and one possible 160W having the problem. Did you order the bulb directly from Reptile UV?
I would like to think if you ordered the bulb within the past few weeks, that the problems they were encountering had already been discovered and you received a good bulb. I cannot be 100% sure of that. Your best bet would be to call or email John at the above #/address.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Yes rainbow... the megaray is the only uvb source that you need. The mvb's put out quite a bit of uvb... much more than the fluorescent tube uvb's. So yes.. the megaray and the additional household bulb are perfect :wink:

MeatHead

Hatchling Member
The new bulbs are putting out way to much UV, to correct the problem they have coated the bulbs with a white frosting to tone it down to the proper uv level. If you notice any peeling of the frosting you have to return it immediately. They were very good about doing this in a timely manner for me.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Thank you for the information Dawn.Since this is a temporary but serious situation we thought it would be a good idea to put this in the Sticky for best exposure.Everyone needs to remember however this is not all the bulbs and is not meant to be a reflection on the Megaray's as a whole.You really should only worry if you are currently having health issues after recently purchasing a new bulb.If you are please contact reptiluv.com and inform them of the problem so they can remedy it.

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
Every business has random issues that crop up. I am still confident that Mega Rays are top notch UV bulbs, and know that should I experience any issue, they would handle it quickly and fairly. Still though...makes me a tad nervous, especially since they are supposed to test them prior to shipment.

What this really means however, is that just about any reptile keeper would be well served by having some kind of UV meter handy. This would probobly pay for itself in the long run, as you can track the decay rate of your bulbs...probobly allowing you to get some extra use out of them, as well as spot a trouble bulb before it causes any issues.
What I would like to know however, is if the current Mega Ray issue is caused by too much UV-B, or perhaps output thats creeping into the UV-C range (the dangerous UV range). If they are producing too much UV-C, then most of the UV-B meters on the market would not be able to read the troubled output. I guess a UV Index meter, and a UV-B meter would be good to own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom