I think Zeus is constipated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikem

My 2 year old beardie Zeus seems to be constipated. It looks like he has been trying to squeeze something out with no luck. He was walking funny after pushing then he was back to normal. I was watching him closely as he roamed around the deck and i could tell that he tried a few times over the course of 5 minutes to push something out but nothing.

I looked closely at his backside when he was pushing and i could see nothing stuck or abnormal about the area.

Does anyone have some advice on what i should do for him??

P.S. He is a little dehydrated but has been eating as of late. Also, i fear he might have eaten a chunk or two of bark mulch and/or dirt from the yard when he started digging a hole there the other day.

Mikem

Original Poster
Thanks dylanravenj, i am going to try that when i get home tonight. I felt so bad because i could tell how uncomfortable he was.

dylanravenj

Sub-Adult Member
Oh yeah I'm sure he's gonna be very relieved when you help him out :) May I ask what his diet usually consists of?

Mikem

Original Poster
He eats mostly crickets, and since he doesn't eat his greens i give him a mix of baby food (organic no sugar added, Pear, Mango, or Blueberry/Apple) mixed with some "Nature Zone Bites".

He also rarely will munch on a few weeds that grow in my lawn (i don't treat the lawn with any chemicals of course). I am not sure exactly what it is he eats but i think its the greens of the little purple violets. He is really good at differentiating

He usually defecates once a day and it has been normal looking so i haven't noticed anything abnormal.

I did notice that after he started digging his little hole two days ago he didn't have much of an appetite, in fact he just wanted to get back out there to continue digging, haha. He did eat ten crickets today with a good amount of the baby food/bites mix.

Mikem

Original Poster
MY GIRLFRIEND JUST CALLED ME AT WORK TO TELL ME SHE FOUND ZEUS SLEEPING ON THE FLOOR WITH 28 EGGS LAYED!!!!!!!!

WE WERE SURE ZEUS WAS A MALE JUDGING BY THE BULGES ON HIS UNDERSIDE BUT WE WERE OBVIOUSLY WRONG!!!!

I AM SO CONFUSED, SURPRISED, AND HAPPY THAT NOW I KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM WAS!

What do i do now?

I know the eggs are infertile because our other beardie is a female (also) and she is partly handicapped due to an impaction she suffered as a baby.

Please give me some advice as i am very confused and don't know what to do next?

PonchoandDaddy

Hatchling Member
Omg that is crazy! Poor baby looks so wore out! I'm sure one of the others will chime in but make sure she gets plenty of calcium and uvb! Bless her and her trail of eggies lol!

Mikem

Original Poster
PonchoandDaddy":2xwglb24 said:
Omg that is crazy! Poor baby looks so wore out! I'm sure one of the others will chime in but make sure she gets plenty of calcium and uvb! Bless her and her trail of eggies lol!

Oh my god i know i am still in shock!

That explains why SHE only wanted to dig her hole outside rather than eat. I feel bad for not letting her keep digging but then again they are infertile so it doesn't matter. Poor thing is so tuckered out!

I will give her a dose of calcium tonight when i get home and we'll get plenty of UV outside tomorrow on the deck.

Thanks PonchoandDaddy for your blessings!

adkpugmom

Hatchling Member
oh my goodness ! what a shock for you !! I hope mine is a boy as I dont want any of this egg laying !! best of luck to you and your TWO girls lol

Mikem

Original Poster
adkpugmom":3m5qkoqb said:
oh my goodness ! what a shock for you !! I hope mine is a boy as I dont want any of this egg laying !! best of luck to you and your TWO girls lol

I know right!! thanks!!

Mikem

Original Poster
What should I do with the eggs? I know that they are infertile so should I toss them or leave them where they are? I just don't want Zeus to get mad at me for throwing them away.

bayoupig5

Sub-Adult Member
I would toss the eggs, she (now confirmed), may or may no re-act, but they will start to go bad.
Give her extra calcium now, as the eggs take alot of the calcuim from their systems, and get her lots of UVB.

WOW...What a shock :shock: , but glad to hear your dragon is otherwise ok. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thuexedulichthailan
Top Bottom