General Lighting Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Potts

It looks very good the only thing I can think of is a section on what bulbs / equipment is good and whats duff EG reptoglo and heat rocks.

ajkry2

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Potts":f3c3d said:
It looks very good the only thing I can think of is a section on what bulbs / equipment is good and whats duff EG reptoglo and heat rocks.
I have lots of info on the reptiglo, links included in the original page 1 post.

I have added a little information on why heat rocks and heat pads are not recommended. Thanks :notworthy:

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Excellent idea to make this is sticky. :D This is the information that most people seeking help tend to need. I have typed and retyped this information so many times, that I finally put it into a word document that I can cut and paste from. LOL It's nice to have a thread to direct people to.

I would definitely add links to the best places to find bulbs (ideally, next to where the bulb is mentioned in the post, or perhaps in a list at the bottom of the sticky with the name of the bulb and then a link right next to it). As others have mentioned, the MegaRay can [generally] only be found at http://www.reptileuv.com. Also, I would add the Exo Terra Solar Glo to your list of decent MVBs. Although it's not as strong in terms of UVB as either the MegaRay or T-Rex, it is a good and known safe bulb, and is also (online) a bit less expensive which is often an issue when money is tight.

As to the basking light, I would edit it to include any type household incandescent so long as it offers BRIGHT WHITE LIGHT and proper temps. Some people have better luck with spots, or small household floods or regular bulbs, rather than halogens. Just depends on the viv/personal preference. :)

Oh, Incidentally, Lowe's also carries the Acu-Rite, and most recently for a dollar less than WalMart. :)

I sent you a PM as well. :D

The best, and great work!

Em

ajkry2

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Thanks for your input, Em! I have added the edits you suggested in your response and PM. Thanks for your help.

I'll take any other input you have too :D Hope you guys refer to this thread often, as it is full of useful info and links :)

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
ajkry2":7d8c1 said:
Hope you guys refer to this thread often, as it is full of useful info and links :)

Putting it in my bookmarks! :D

I did want to mention about the temps you posted, and the "adding of 5 degrees for a young beardie." I'm not sure I'm following you there, as the temps you posted are right for a young beardie, wouldn't want to go any higher than 110 (IMHO :D ). Maybe I'm misunderstanding your meaning. :dontknow:

Em

ajkry2

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Embee":edc8d said:
ajkry2":edc8d said:
Hope you guys refer to this thread often, as it is full of useful info and links :)

Putting it in my bookmarks! :D

I did want to mention about the temps you posted, and the "adding of 5 degrees for a young beardie." I'm not sure I'm following you there, as the temps you posted are right for a young beardie, wouldn't want to go any higher than 110 (IMHO :D ). Maybe I'm misunderstanding your meaning. :dontknow:

Em
Nice catch, Em. Changed it to Basking -- 100-105 :)

Thanks

ajkry2

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster

ajkry2

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Bumping for more hits :D

This thread is important, I hope everybody reads this. If you see a flaw, don't hesitiate to help me fix it ;)

ajkry2

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
ajkry2":11868 said:
Bumping for more hits :D

This thread is important, I hope everybody reads this. If you see a flaw, don't hesitiate to help me fix it ;)

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you could add an infrared temp gun for checking temps too that would be a good idea. Also, the gun should be held 2" away from the area being checked.

As far as the 160 watt MVB, the distance should be a minimum of 18" away rather than 16. Lots of helpful info here. :p

ajkry2

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
diamc":97b0a said:
If you could add an infrared temp gun for checking temps too that would be a good idea. Also, the gun should be held 2" away from the area being checked.

As far as the 160 watt MVB, the distance should be a minimum of 18" away rather than 16. Lots of helpful info here. :p
Thanks for the info :D

edit added. I also rearranged a few things (put the UV links in the UV category). appreciate the input

:blob8: :mrgreen: :blob8:

"Can you add something about night time temps? and what to do if your temp falls below 65 at night. Im just a few degrees under and don't know what to do :S"

From a link on this site, I went to a site that stated that beardies can live in temperatures as low as 50F. If this helps.

ajkry2

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
surefire423":63933 said:
"Can you add something about night time temps? and what to do if your temp falls below 65 at night. Im just a few degrees under and don't know what to do :S"

From a link on this site, I went to a site that stated that beardies can live in temperatures as low as 50F. If this helps.

From page 1:

As for the Night temps, a no-light emitting heat source called a Ceramic Heat Emitter (question about ceramic heaters) is ideal for keeping temperatures above 65. If any light is emitted, it could interrupt the beardies sleepy time (Red Light yes or no?) therefore a nighttime heat lamp should not emit any light, whether it be blue, black, infrared or bright white. CHE's are ideal for night warming of the vivarium and can be found at your local pet shop or online at http://www.petmountain.com

As for 50*F, I think that's a little low. Temps can drop as low as 60*F, but I think that's pushin it... So a CHE is a good addition to ur viv :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom