General Lighting Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Very good compilation of information.

If you're going to state which bulbs are good and which are bad, you might also want to state why (specific health benefits vs. harms). Only stating one is better than the other would be interpreted as a personal opinion, as opposed to actual findings amongst a group of users.

As for having this thread stickied, I'll discuss it with the other mods and Alex.

ajkry2

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Goonie":dd48c said:
Very good compilation of information.

If you're going to state which bulbs are good and which are bad, you might also want to state why (specific health benefits vs. harms). Only stating one is better than the other would be interpreted as a personal opinion, as opposed to actual findings amongst a group of users.

As for having this thread stickied, I'll discuss it with the other mods and Alex.
Much appreciated :)

I will do a bit more research on these bulbs and add reasons why and why not to use them. Or do you think it'd be reasonable to refer readers to threads that have stories of people changing from one light to another helped their beardies health?

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
ajkry2":89a20 said:
Much appreciated :)

I will do a bit more research on these bulbs and add reasons why and why not to use them. Or do you think it'd be reasonable to refer readers to threads that have stories of people changing from one light to another helped their beardies health?
The latter would be more valid in getting your point across.

FaaFaa

Sub-Adult Member
Pet mountian has great deals on the T-Rex MVB and the price isn't bad. I don't think they run more than $50. They come in 100w and 160w. I can't see anyone needing a 160w though unless you have a monster viv or if your house is freezing. From what I understand they last about a year. Don't jiggle them around too much or have them at an angle. I hear that shortens the lifespan. How true is that anyway, anyone out there know?

Jen

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hi
Very nice thread indeed!The only recommendation I have is to add more links to some crucial sites like reptileuv.com and also when you do discuss the issues other lights have had it may be a good idea to add the uv index reports link and the sticky that Dr Baines has about the reptiglo 10.o new version and the powersun issue thread so it can all be reached in one place.Once you are totally edited we can look at possibly doing a sticky thread.

Interesting comment about the calcium supplement without D3 for MVB lighting. I must change that immediately. I am using the Mega Ray 160 and the Solar Glo 125 backed up with basking lights. From the Mega Ray site (great educational site and people are really helpful with lighting and the owner provides his personal phone number in case anyone has a problem with their lizard) I learned that the MVB should come on at 8ish and go off at 3ish. I set the basking lights to come on at 2pm and go off at 8pm. Where can I find info about the D3?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Here's the info about not using calcium with D3 when you have a MVB. This was from the reptileuv website:
Almost all living creatures have the ability to develop vitamin D3 from UVB exposure and do so automatically when they are exposed to ultraviolet. Many reptiles develop all their D3 from the exposure to UVB in their natural habitat. The natural production of D3 under UV light is a self limiting process. Because our Mega-Ray® mimics a piece of real sunshine, we strongly recommend not using any D3 supplements. Our extensive blood serum 25-OH-vitaminD3 testing has shown that supplementing D3 is completely unnecessary while proper UV levels are maintained. It should also be noted that when normal D3 levels are present in the blood stream, the body has the ability to metabolize all the calcium that's needed from the normal diet and in most cases if the animal is being fed a high calcium diet, calcium supplements aren't necessary.

If you have doubts about the sufficiency of the calcium in your animal's diet or you have a juvenile or gravid animal and feel its best to supplement calcium, we highly recommend the Rep-Cal brand Calcium, No VitD3, Phosphorus Free only for use with our bulbs.

Using a calcium supplement that also adds phosphorous makes no sense as an adequate Ca:p ratio can never be achieved. Bone meal contains phosphorous. Rep-Cal contains only 100% Natural phosphorous-free oyster shell Calcium Carbonate for its calcium source.

Dosage: Mix with vegetables, fruits and pastes approximately 1/2 to 1 tablespoon per pound of food.

To coat insects:

1. Place insects and calcium powder in a plastic bag.
2. Shake slowly until insects are completely covered.

Contains no added starch, sugar, soy, preservatives, artificial coloring, flavoring, or fragrance. Do not use if tamper proof seal is broken or missing. Consult your veterinarian for any special nutritional problems or advice.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You're welcome. That info was printed in the area where you can buy the Rep-Cal calcium without D3 on the reptileuv site.

Potts

Can you add something about night time temps? and what to do if your temp falls below 65 at night. Im just a few degrees under and don't know what to do :S

ajkry2

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Potts":41f80 said:
Can you add something about night time temps? and what to do if your temp falls below 65 at night. Im just a few degrees under and don't know what to do :S
Night temps are now mentioned in the original post :D

You can get a ceramic heat emmiter (CHE) from petmountain.com, and that does the trick. Emmits heat with no light. any light at night could interrupt your beardies snooze, so night heat should be provided with no light and a CHE is the perfect thing for the job ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom