Cyrus, Lia and Gary's thread! PICTURE UPDATE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I was just wondering, what times do your beardies go to sleep?

For some reason mine curls up in the corner at 2PM + , and goes to sleep! I wish I had more time in the day to play with her, anyone know why she goes to sleep so early?

Share some funny bed time stories!

Nathan1995

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank's a lot Deb, yeah his house is at 72F dead on, and humidity is currently 87%, and I have already got 20 ounces of repashy upon hearing great reviews, and because of you haha, so that will be with him tomorrow hopefully!

Thank's for the info !

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
They don't eat much Repashy at a time & you make it fresh every night for him. Use a small bottle cap to put in his hide. What I've been doing is taking Bunny out in the evening, putting some Repashy on my finger & she's been licking it off every night, so hopefully she'll get used to it. Let me know what you decide for a name and how it goes with Repashy.

Nathan1995

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Okay thanks Deb, the little guy was laying upside down on a leaf this morning when I took a peek at him, that's how light he is, a leaf can hold him upside down haha!

His shed came off slightly yesterday on his foot, but his back hasn't changed at all so tonight I'm going to put him in a little humid hide for a half hour and see what difference that makes.
I went out and got him some vines today too and he's taken a liking to them, he no longer uses his branch to climb, runs up the vines and then sits in his leaves as per usual. Although, I suppose it's down to relocation stress, he hasn't once explored his new home, just sits in his leaves all day haha.

But I took him out earlier and tried offering him a cricket, and he didn't even know what it was, looked at it, and just walked! But he licked up about 6 drops of repashy off his nose earlier when I put it on, he hasns't discovered it in the bottle cap at the bottom of his cage yet!

Oh, and I've also decided to name the little guy Gary!

DSC_0528.jpg

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Cresties will hide all day as that's when they sleep. Then they'll be up about 8p & that when you'd want to feed him. Gary is such a cutie but I don't think he's 8 mo old, I think he's either younger or he's not been fed very well. The hide thing is a good idea. But keep the humidity up in his tank for now, give him the day to see how the shed works this eve. They don't like bright light, so best to have his tank away from any windows. So keep me updated!

Glad to hear that Lia & Cyrus are up & active, brumation is over, yeah!

Nathan1995

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yeah I was thinking that Deb, the guy I picked him up off has fed him on pure honey, poor little Gary! I reckon it's a mix of the 2, probably a bit younger than 8 months and definitely not fed correctly.

Yeah, that's the good thing, you get the whole day of excitement waiting for them to wake up haha! Can't wait to get him out later and have a proper attempt at feeding! I'll keep you updated!

Nathan1995

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hey guys! The past week has been really slow for the dragons, Lia has sat under her basking light all day long, and Cyrus has returned to his sleeping corner. Lia still doesn't eat her veg, at all, so I went down to the shop today to buy some supers just to give her a little something, but the shop didn't have any so I ended up coming home with 3 boxes of locusts (24 in total), for Cyrus and Lia. (These locusts would eat little Gary up!) Anyway, I came home, and put them on the side which is in sight of Cyrus' viv, when he sprinted to the glass, as if he's been starving! Keep in mind that these guys haven't had any proper feeding in about 2 months, and before that were both eating supers (which I think Cyrus 'tolerates').
I dropped one in, and within 2 seconds it was gone! After this he had 3 more adults before going to bask.

I then went to Lia, and she's never seen locusts in her life. I dropped one next to her basking tower, and she stared for about 15 seconds, then backed up a few inches.. AND THEN ATTACKED! Honestly, who knew fat girls can move so quickly, her tower wobbled so much from the momentum! She charged after it and it was gone instantly! After this she had another adult and then 1 medium locust, because I don't want her to eat this, I'd rather she nommed on her veggies like a good little girl, but that ain't happening! I've never seen her want food that badly, even when she used to eat her supers, she'd slowly crawl over, they really love these.

So, the fact that they both went after these so eagerly makes me worried I've been starving them for a few months! And also, worried that they don't like the dubia roaches, as these have been offered every week or so for them, but they never had a bite. What do you guys think? I'm considering selling the roaches, I've got a few thousand in there that would never be eaten!

Now, some pictures.

Look at that adorable red belly! He slept here, little cutie.
DSC_0533_zps77d88795.jpg

"Eh baby, you like muscles?" He was pancaking here.
DSC_0536-2_zps354447da.jpg

Look at those sleepy eyes
DSC_0539_zps59c1a337.jpg

Just on his rocks after eating the locusts tonight
DSC_0542_zpsd7d7bded.jpg

For a fat girl, she can throw out those sexy legs pretty well!
DSC_0547_zps9632180d.jpg

She's a proper little girl, wears make up and everything
DSC_0548_zps53d927bb.jpg

Thanks guys, will be updating with more pics soon, and please reply quickly about the feeding, need to know what to do with the roaches, and so I can decide how to feed the dragons!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
They're all great & Lia is so funny, attacking that locust. After sleeping they'll always be hungry, sounds like they've found their favourite but. You could try to feed the baby dubia to Gary, see how he takes them. Just put them in a small dish, they can't climb anyway, so won't get out & see what he thinks of them. And make sure he gets that Repashy every night, the roaches would just be a treat.

As for Lia and veggies, none of mine eat veggies unless I actualy put a but under their lip to the side of their mouth, slide it over until their mouth opens & pop it in, you might need to do that with Lia, sounds like she just won't eat veggies on her own. Some beardies have never eaten veggies in their lives. I have a friend who has an almost 13 yr old beardie who's only ever eaten supers and won't eat veggies, even if hand fed, spits them out. So as long as the bugs eat veggies, your Lia will get some & just make sure she's getting the vit/min dusting on her bugs at least twice a week to make up. See how that works, anyway.

You're doing a great job with all 3, I can see how that shed on Gary is getting more & more loose. I'm amazed he's still alive after only been fed honey, what was the previous owner thinking? No wonder he's so small for his age. So between the Repashy and the dusted roaches, he'll have a decent meal a day. If he doesn't want the roaches (like the crickets) no worries, the Repashy is a full mean for them & Jake told me they only eat a few licks a day & that's enough to keep them healthy. But sounds like Gary will eat more, poor starving little guy. You're taking great care of him!

Keep up the good work Nathan, aren't beardies & cresties the greatest pets? I love all mine.
HAPPY CHRISTMAS!
Deb & my crew

Nathan1995

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hey guys, 2 updates in 1 day, you can tell I'm excited that my baby's are active again haha!

So I was thinking, Lia's such a big girl she sleeps, sits all day, eats, poops.. everything on her little basking tower. I'm worried when she stumbles down her logs, and I had to help her up earlier as she slipped and was trying to scramble back up (too funny). I was thinking about taking all her high things out of her viv and making her go to floor level, so it's all at her level, and just lower the basking light for her. But I was wondering if this would deprive her of anything? Would she be sad/miss not being able to climb?

Also, 1 more picture. I was watching tv with Lia out about an hour ago, and realised I hadn't seen her run across the room in 5 minutes so went to look for her, and found that she had cuddled up in a pair of trousers in the other room!
DSC_0550_zps825fcdc5.jpg

Thanks a lot Deb, always nice to hear things like that from such an experienced owner :lol: I know, I don't get some people, so cruel .. or possibly just blinded by stupidity! At least we know there's others like us that take good care of there little guys and gals!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
It depends on how she handles. I haven't seen a picture of her tank, so I don't know what it looks like, so why don't you take some pics of it and post them and then I'll have an idea of what you're talking about. She is a fatty, though, but she still isn't considered overweight, as her weight is good, in fact she's just like Leo!

So post those pics and we'll figure out what's best for her. If you want I can post pics of my crew, too, as they all have low furniture.

Nathan1995

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hi Deb, thanks for getting back to me but I think I solved the problem myself! Her enclosure used to have a basking post about 12inches high, and her branch was the same height and occupied most of the viv, but I removed both of these, and gave her Cyrus' old hide (the medium sized one, meant for baby beardies!!!), as an attempt to give her something to sit on to bask, but she has also forced her way in and slept in there!

This was her old viv:
DSC_0169.jpg

And this is her now, she is giving me so many more sexy legs, so I think she's liking it. Although, I just realised from posting that last picture, look at how white her beard was while playing with Cyrus. 100% of the time, she sits in her viv with a 75% black beard, all day long, what could that be?

This is in place of her basking post, and I've lowered the light for her.
DSC_0551_zps09401b10.jpg

(This is the beard she has all day, every day)[b/] Just waking up completely sprawled across the floor!
DSC_0553_zpsce5c144f.jpg

DSC_0560-1_zpsb445c936.jpg

This has to be a favourite of mine, look at that belly!
DSC_0561_zpsc0eeef80.jpg

Here's one of Cyrus, he was pretty full and didn't want any more locusts I guess
DSC_0555-1_zps53959756.jpg

DSC_0556-2_zps1a1e98c7.jpg

Look at the light reflection through Gary's little eye!

Thanks guys, hope you enjoyed the pictures.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Sounds like you got Lia's tank organized and she is so cute in the last pic, what a belly she has! That pic of Cyrus is too funny, having a locust on his head, guess he was full! Gary is so cute, he'll look better after he's grown some, just keep giving him Repashy, as much as he'll eat.

Nathan1995

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hey guys, Lia's been acting kinda strange lately. I think in a good way, but theres a nagging in my head that it may be laying behaviour?

For the past 4 or so days maybe, Lia has not been in her viv! She sleeps in there, and as soon as her lights go on, she basks for 5 minutes, before glass dancing constantly!! She doesn't stop, so I let her run around my room, and she runs around for a good half hour, really fast! And then finds a corner and lays down. While she runs, she doesn't dig, but try's climbing up everything. Cupboards? She stand's vertical on it because she's like.. climbed up.

She's really pale, lighter, like a happy colour but slightly more pale. She also has a black beard going on, not a full one, but more than usual. However all her belly stress marks are one. But is that because she's focussing all her colour to her beard? She's also had a small poo every day for the last 4 days, and today was the smallest, no poop atall, just a white urate with lots of water.

Does she want to lay some infertile eggs? Is there a definite way of telling? Thanks guys.

Her beard - It looks darker than this, but the camera had flash on.
DSC_0575_zps357382b5.jpg

And this is her nice white belly compared to last weeks belly.
DSC_0578-1_zps3c90b08b.jpg

DSC_0567_zpscef172f1.jpg

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Yes, Nathan, you're right on, your Lia is looking to lay eggs. Right now the little poops are to get a male's attention to fertilize them, that's why she's looking everywhere to find one. She'll need a dig box, so get a regular grocery box doubled, then get some unfertilized potting soil, that is light, add some vermiculite if you want, just to make it lighter. Set that up close to her viv, make a bridge of some sort so she can get in & out (as it could take 2 weeks before she starts to lay) and make sure she has at least 10" of soil to dig into. They like to make tunnels, sometimes, they'll just dig in the corner, either way you have to have lots of dirt for her to dig into. We always used a double Safeway grocery box, then made a sort of high cover to give her some privacy, we also put a tall lamp to cover the dirt to warm it up. I'll see if I can find a picture, as at one point we had Sweetie and Issy laying eggs. But that's always the first sign. So she will be losing some weight, Nathan, which is a good thing. Just be by her, if you can, when she lays and she'll want to cover the eggs and tamp the soil down and that can take 2 hours, on top of the 2-3 hours of labour to lay the eggs. So have a warm bath ready and food, too, epsecially bugs as she'll need the extra protein. she's going to need extra calcium to make up the loss from making the eggs, so I always got liquid calcium to give Sweetie extra on top of calcium dusted on her bugs and salad. If she doesn't eat today,expect lots of eating the next day.

If you have any questions, just ask, I'm home on vacation until the 10th, so will be here to answer any questions you have.

Take care Nathan, hope Gary is doing ok. I lost Bunny in my bedroom last night, it's never been so clean as I moved everything to find her, finally did find her on her way under my big dresser, YEAH, so I always have my eye on her now. She likes to run to the edge of the bed & jump down if I don't pay attention. She's a little wanderer, she is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom