1st Time Beardie Owner needs Help!! **new questions 1-4-11**

Status
Not open for further replies.

RachelChristene

Original Poster
Just had a succsesful session with Kip!! I picked him up gently and he only struggled a little bit :D Then I set him on my lap with no hands and he didnt run :blob5: Then i let him back in his cage. Just a little outing to let him know that unlike bathtime, all times i pick him up won't be bad :)

Cheline101

Yeah that's what mine does. That's why I have one room where I can close the door (to keep the cats out and him in lol) and make sure there arn't any places where he can get stuck (under the couch sucks) and just let him go. (Make sure he's pooped first though otherwise he'll probably stain your carpet) you don't even have to use a whole room, just find a spot and put up a barricade that's at least 2 feet high cuz they can jump! lol I sometimes put him in the kitchen and put a big piece of cardbord up so he can't get out, and I'll sit in there and let him run around. If your in there with the little guy he has a chance to run up to you and away from you and he learns that your not always going to panhandle him lol. You don't have to, it's just an idea. I do that with mine, and he's so used to being handled, the cat will sneak up on him and try to have him for lunch when I take my eyes off him and he doesn't puff or anything. I think mine's a little abnormal in that way though lol :) just have fun with him :)

wizbee

Juvie Member
Make sure the water is baby warm and only shoulder deep. Putting him down on a washrag in the water may help him feel more secure.
NEVER leave him alone in the water.

RachelChristene

Original Poster
Today I took Kip and put him in my bathroom to let him run around in an enclosed area. When I first put him down, he darted away from me to the bath tub. I sat on the ground and he stould still looking strangely at the ceiling. He than ran towards me and then ran away. When i tried to feed him some lettuce, he hissed at me which he hasnt done in a while... :shock: I then let some live crickets on the ground and he quickly caught them. :) It then took me fooorevvverrr to try to pick him up again. Seems like he doesnt trust me. Not so sure this was a sucsessful session with Kip.... Did i do anything wrong??? D:

RachelChristene

Original Poster
Today i took Kip out of his cage to play again. A lot more struggle came from getting him out of his cage than trying to pick him up to put him in his cage. It's usually the other way around. Anyway, Kip didnt seem as scared of me as he did yesterday... Progress?? I think soooo :)

techdave

Juvie Member
Personally, whenever Tiamat got a black beard or started acting defensibly, I would continue doing what I was doing, whether it was bath time or jsut pick up or whatever. I didn't want think that if he's mean he gets left alone. If that was the case then he would never like to come out. Just keep at it. Keep chipping away at the layers til you get to the gooey center :D

zillathakilla

Juvie Member
I have a few questions.How big is your dragon,length wise? did you buy him as a young dragon? Did you take him out a lot? My dragon didnt seem to really care for me up until recently, but the entire winter break i have kept taking him out of his cage and now when i put him on my shirt (Which i always do when i take him out) he runs around on me, then either scurries up to my neck and sleeps there or climbs to my shoulder and sleeps there, Before he would just run away, now he cuddles! I hope we can all work together to make your dragon a good experience for yourself and Kip! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom