1st Time Beardie Owner needs Help!! **new questions 1-4-11**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! :) My name is Rachel and i have an about 8 month old bearded dargon named Kip. I have been struggling with him and i'm not always sure what to do. I have lots of questions that Google hasn't been able to specifically answer for me.

*1) Can someone give me more information about the hibernation state?? or something??

*2) When i let Kip out, he'll just stand there and stare at me. I put him in the bathroom with me and sometimes he trys to jump the bathtub!! Should i let him play somewhere else??

Please visit my Photo Gallery :) link ----> http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=139791

16712x0.jpg
back then!!
rvhlbp.jpg
now!!
Kip!! ^^^ :D

My Adventures with Kip!!
12/31/2010 -Today I took Kip and put him in my bathroom to let him run around in an enclosed area. When I first put him down, he darted away from me to the bath tub. I sat on the ground and he stould still looking strangely at the ceiling. He than ran towards me and then ran away. When i tried to feed him some lettuce, he hissed at me which he hasnt done in a while... :shock: I then let some live crickets on the ground and he quickly caught them. :) It then took me fooorevvverrr to try to pick him up again. Seems like he doesnt trust me. Not so sure this was a sucsessful session with Kip.... Did i do anything wrong??? D:
1/1/2011 -Today i took Kip out of his cage to play again. A lot more struggle came from getting him out of his cage than trying to pick him up to put him in his cage. It's usually the other way around. Anyway, Kip didnt seem as scared of me as he did yesterday... Progress?? I think soooo :)

LaPrice

Hatchling Member
keep trying to pick him up, if his beard is black put him back. it's what we do with our old man winston, hes pretty mean. but it seems like mostly annoyance. he needs to learn that he can trust you, and that you arent going to hurt him.
from what i understand sand is a no no, but my personal opinion (though i dont use sand yet. were going to test first) is that if you feed completely separate and make sure your dragon isnt eating the sand as a food or suplement he should be ok. i'd like to put my 6 month old on sand but i want to see is he eats it just because he can. but i have also heard lots of horror stories from people who use sand. i've also heard that its awful to clean the sand of poop.
baths every few days, spraying in his face isnt he greatest though he should lick moisture off. you could put a water dish in and see if he drinks from that. misting his greens is also a good idea.

SoleSky

Sub-Adult Member
Hey! In my opinion tiles are the best but nobody says that you can't partition off a sandbox. Since he's not eating in it you could just take a little sterilite container and fill it with sifted children's play sand. Just for fun. As for water, a daily bath should do. Misting his greens will give him hydration as well :). Hope this helps.

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
Welcome! :D 99% of people on this forum will tell you no sand whatsoever... There's a risk for impaction so why take that risk? As far as the misting goes.. Yes that is true.. u can either do that or u can bathe every couple of days and another way they can get water is from their salad.... Feel free to ask as many questions as you want b/c I can guarantee there are more than enough people here that are willing to answer them for u :lol:

Phoenix17June2009

Gray-bearded Member
you have to becareful misting in the cage. it will cause the humidity to rise and you dont want that :D i find it safter to give a bath every few days, plus they seem to enjoy it :D

Virus

Hatchling Member
The reason why increased humidity is a no-go, is because bearded dragons can get respiratory infections at higher levels of humidity.

Virus

Hatchling Member
General behavior. Overall reptiles are harder to realize if they are sick or not. A natural defense due to the weak being picked off in the wild. So really the best thing would be to pay attention to how your dragon behaves, and if he changes anything drastically you should take note of it. That being said, lack of energy, excessive mucus, or a wheezing/coughing sound are a few things to watch out for.

RachelChristene

Original Poster
Boo :( we had a pretty awful bath time today!! When i first put him in the water he freaked out :( It took me a loong time to get him to let me hold him. Finally he let me but he was flat and had all of his legs stuck out. He also stuck out his spikes and whipped his tail in circles. :shock: The whole time i was trying to pick him up he was glaring at me with this look like "You made me do this!!" He hates me :( I'm desperate for help!!! :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

Cheline101

Do you ever take him out for reasons other than a bath? like just for fun, or to let him run around on the floor for a little? If not, and he doesn't like baths, he could be associating you picking him up with a terrible bath that he's going to hate. lol maybe try putting your hand in front of him, and trying to coax him into your hand from the back with your other hand. I wouldn't force him to do things he doesn't want because you want him to associate you with fun. Has he always been like that? Did you get him from a breeder or a store? I have heard of people selling "wild-caught" beardies, and they tend to basically be pissy their whole life. Most likely you got one that was breed, but I just thought I'd ask. There's a couple of people that live in my area with "wild-caught beardies" and they can't take them out or anything. It kind of sucks :(

RachelChristene

Original Poster
He use to open his mouth defensively every time i put my hand near him. But now he doesnt do that anymore :) But yes, I'll let him run around more i guess. But i mean if i let him on the floor he will ruuuun!! I bought him from the store when he was a baby :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom