**Mega Ray Issues** / Megaray RECALL

Status
Not open for further replies.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Hello Everyone,

I have noticed in the past few months an increasing number of posts concerning the use of the Mega Ray mercury vapor bulbs and bearded dragons closing their eyes. I contacted ReptileUV, via email, due to my concerns and received a reply almost immediately.
I asked if they would mind me posting their reply here for the bd.org members, so that those of you using the Mega Rays and experiencing any problems would know what to do.

Here is the reply I received from John at ReptileUV this morning...

Hi Dawn,

Very recenlty we discovered that the company that manufactures the bulb for us had changed one of the pieces out in the bulbs construction. This did cause a few "bad eggs" to slip through. As soon as we realized what was going on we contacted our manufacturer and addressed the issue, and also purchased UV meters on their behalf, so that they can test the bulbs on their end as we have always done on ours. And while we do test all the bulbs we ship out for retail, it does appear that some did slip out into the general public. Any one having an issue with their animal closing their eyes should immediately remove the bulb, and contact me directly so that I can get a replacement on its way, which I will gladly do.

Our main focus here at Reptile UV has been and always will be proper care for reptiles, and I am truly sorry that this has happened. We strive to put out a great product, and will continue to do so in the future. At this point we believe we have worked through the last of the "problem bulbs" and this should not be an issue in the future. If anyone has any additional question or concerns, they can of course contact me directly at [email protected].

Sincerely,

John M. Wolff
Shipping and Sales Manager
Reptile UV
252-241-4584
[email protected]
I have merged Dawns and John Wolff's threads as one .I am going to add John's first post here as well so everyne can see it.You will see the actual beginning of his thread on page.3
Hello Everyone,
My name is John Wolff, and I am the shipping and sales manager at Reptile UV. As I am sure you have noticed, there has been a lot of talk recently about animals having an adverse reaction to our bulb, and I would like to take the opportunity to address it directly.
Very recently we discovered that the company that manufactures our bulbs received a shipment of an extremely clean and clear quality glass. While normally this would be a good thing, for our purposes it is not. With this exceptionally clear glass we started seeing UV levels that were too high and potentially harmful. We immediately took steps to correct the issue for existing product, modifying bulbs with an etching spray that would diffuse the UV levels and make them safe to use. We have actually been doing this for years for our “Low UV” 100 Watt and 60 Watt bulbs.
Unfortunately, it appears that the modification quite literally did not stick. Some of the bulbs began to burn or peel, causing the higher levels of UV to get through.
This has caused us a great deal of concern, as this company was founded with the sole intent of increasing the quality of life and health of captive reptiles, and that is still our main concern to this day. We will soon be posting an official response and recall on certain bulbs that we believe to have been affected. We will also be posting this response on the forum here, as well as on the UV guide UK and on our home page on the website.
We refuse to hide from the issue, but instead will address it head on, making every effort possible to correct the error, and retain the trust of our loyal customers. Our bulb has been the best on the market for many years now, and it will remain so, as we never allow our standards to drop.
For right now, if any of you have received a bulb from us that is peeling from the face of the bulb, or if your animal is showing any signs of sensitivity in their eyes, we are asking that you immediately contact us at [email protected] so that we can correct the matter as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Your pet’s health and care is and always will be our main concern. While we do stand by our products, we strive for perfection knowing it can never be attained. Thank you for your understanding and continued support while we get this situation rectified.
A few key things to take away from this are listed below.

1. DO NOT under any circumstances remove the frosting from your bulb.
2. If you notice any peeling from the face of your bulb, immediately remove the bulb and contact us.
3. Watch for any signs of eye sensitivity in your pet, and immediately remove the bulb and contact us if this is observed.
4. The glass we got in that caused this issue is not “bad glass” but is actually too clean a quality and we are addressing this as aggressively as we can to get the situation taken care of and ensure your animals continued health.
5. The company that manufactures these high quality bulbs for us has been testing with UVB and UVC meters for years, and has now agreed to begin testing the bulbs at their location with a UVI meter that we supplied for them before the bulbs ever reach us. We will continue to test the bulbs here, to provide added protection from this ever happening again.

6. I would like to extend a special thanks to Dawn Cesar, who was kind enough to contact me and post an abbreviated response yesterday morning in reference to this matter. Thank you Dawn, your care and concern are right in line with the principles we hold so dear here at Reptile UV.

John Wolff

UPDATE 1/27/10

If you are experiencing problems with ANY of the MegaRay bulbs purchased mid October 2009 thru January 22, 2010.... please contact John at ReptileUV ASAP.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
what can we say... everyone makes mistakes... I'm certainly still a huge fan of their bulbs...
*That'll be three please...*
Janie

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Yes Janie, I also love the Mega Rays and stand by them 100%. I just received another 160 watt Mega a few days ago.

I am hoping that the problem with a few "bad bulbs" that got out does not discourage anyone from using the Mega Ray mvb's. They are, in my opinion, the best mvb on the market.

ReptileUV has always stood by their product. If anyone is experiencing problems with their Mega Rays... they will gladly send you a replacement ASAP.

Freeie

Extreme Poster
Thank you Dawn! So far i havnt seen Lexia close her eyes with her new one. But if she does i'll know what to do :D

newbie1

thank you i have contacted them and they are sending a new bulb. my problem is now that my temps are down and the new bulb will not be here until tuesday if im lucky. then does everyone do the 3 day burn thing i have read about on this site( i did with the first one)? if i do that it will be a week without uvb. i am trying to do what i can but the reason i got the bulb in the first place was to save a little and get the best bulb. now i need to pay for a tempoary bulb and fixture untill the new one gets here. very frustrating for a new beardie owner. or do i stress her out again by moving her back to the 10 gallon tank i had her in at first while i was working on the big enclosure?

i have just talked to John at Mega ray and the new bulb is on its way. after a long talk he has givin me instructions on what to do until the new bulb gets here. he has set my mind at ease for the moment, and was very informative. thanks to all who helped me with this problem.
john and sydney

beardieluv

Sub-Adult Member
I was wondering, CHarlie got his megaray about a week ago, and for the past week his eyes are closed alot. Man :(

was there any information on when these bulbs got out, mine are about 4monthsold or so and im wondering if im all clear, havent had any eye closing problems yet that ive noticed.

ajkry2

Gray-bearded Member
colorourselves":128fc said:
was there any information on when these bulbs got out, mine are about 4monthsold or so and im wondering if im all clear, havent had any eye closing problems yet that ive noticed.
if you haven't had any problems thus far, i think your fine ;)

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Beardieluv... did you go ahead and turn the Megaray off and contact ReptileUV?

Colorourselves... as the above posters mentioned, if you have had the bulb on for a few months now... then you are fine! Most cases I have read about all started within the first couple of weeks of using the new bulb.

I don't know as far as when the bulbs actually went on the market. I can tell you though that I started seeing posts back in November '09 about the Megarays and eye problems.

TwistedCrayon

Sub-Adult Member
I ordered a bad batch on thanksgiving day and recieved them the second week in Dec. So I know that time frame wasn't so good.

well if they came out around november im ok i got mine in the summer. to everyone else, even though it hadnt hurt my dragons eyes isnt it possible it could have been putting out to much uv they just didnt show any signs, who is to say if all bearded would close their eyes to an overexposure to uv. some might respond differently. not tryin to be an ass im just sayin.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
That's good that you emailed them. Please make sure you turn the megaray off as soon as you get home.

beardieluv

Sub-Adult Member
I will. This is just my luck hah, i swear everything bad happens to me and my fam. He's sending one out first thing in the morning. Thanks for the alert, Dawn. I never would of thought it could be the light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom