Worms? Which ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KINGSAME

Hatchling Member
I have been feeding crickets as a staple for my 4 month old beardie. Along with a fresh salad everyday. I am awaiting on my first shipment of Phoneix Worms. In the worm category which ones are the best? Phoneix, Silkworms, Superworms etc.....

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
KINGSAME":27d58 said:
In the worm category which ones are the best? Phoneix, Silkworms, Superworms etc.....
Do you mean nutritionally or economically?
Here's a link that gives you some nutritional values;
http://www.feedersinc.com/insect-comparison/

Personally I like to give my beardies a variety. Variety is the spice of life they say. :lol:
The more variety the more balanced the diet.

I like to offer them a vaiety of these worms along with their roaches;
Supers
Horned worms
Silkworms
Phoenix worms
Butter worms

Personally I wouldn't want to have the same meat for every meal. :)

BestRoach

Hatchling Member
Silkworm care is too hard, and they usually have a high die off rate. Considering how expensive they are, these die offs add up. Hornworms are nice, but must be eaten quickly less they run out of food. If your dragon doesn't take to them right away, you'll have bird sized moths in no time.
Butter worms are great, but expensive. Also, their limited movement may leave some animals wondering if their even food. Nice feeders though, especially since they last months in the fridge.

Super worms! I like supers, and so does my female bearded dragon. Problem is, I can never seem to keep them from occasionally eating each other...potato, carrot, water crystals, no form of moisture can dull their urge to eat their neighbor. Also, even small colonies of superworms tend to smell. I only keep 500-1000 supers around at anyone time, but they manage to smell more than practically my entire roach breeding operation. E. Posticus can put supers to shame when disturbed though....so not all roaches are nose friendly.

Pheonix worms were nice when I used them, but the cost is high...and they are so small. they are not really practical for an adult bearded dragon...as they can eat an entire cup in one sitting.

If I had to pick, I would put supers at #1, followed by Horn Worms then Butter Worms. Silkies are great if you know how to care for them.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
BestRoach":7ff6c said:
Hornworms are nice, but must be eaten quickly less they run out of food. If your dragon doesn't take to them right away, you'll have bird sized moths in no time.

Yikes!!! Holy crap, just the visual I needed on my way to bed!! HAHAHA

I, personally, like the phoenix worms. I use them in conjunction with crickets. My little one is about 8.5-9" now.. She loves them, and I feed them during 'our time'. She will run across the spare bed just to get to them, it's really cute. She eats anywhere from 8-24 or so during a feeding (and my girl doesn't have a big appetite), so right now, they are affordable. They are not very high in protein, though...
I agree with BestRoach, they wouldn't be economical for an adult. I imagine an adult can eat an entire tub of them a day!

Although, occasionally, she will pass them whole..
When she gets bigger, we will try new wormies, and I can't wait! We are also switching to dubias, as soon as I can afford to start a colony.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buddy- The Bearded Dragon
Top Bottom