We're getting worse and i'm scared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SashaH

He's not eating anymore, he's not moving, he's not opening his eyes all the way. I called my vet, they don't deal with reptiles, I called another vet and they told me it would cost $50 just to ask questions. I'm going to try to take him outside I think.

SashaH

Original Poster
He has a 175 flexarium with a 100w tight beam basking bulb, currently his uv is shut off (second day) because it was a repti glo 10.0 and I'm ordering the repti-sun. Temps are perfect. He gets bathed every second day and misted on the off days.

SashaH

Original Poster
He's approximately 11 months. I don't know because he was surrendered to the pet store I work at.
He's 13 inches long.

Tigg

Juvie Member
The $50 vet charge is normal, they are not going to just sit there with you and answer your questions. They are going to go over everything with you, and give your beardie a thorough examination. the only extra charges you will be looking at would be for blood work, fecal test, and any medication your vet may prescribe.

This is not a lot of money, and by the sounds of things, it's CRITICAL that you get your beardie to the VET ASAP!

Until you are able to get to the vet you need to keep him hydrated, and his nourishment levels up so he has the strength to fight through this...

Is anyone home with him right now??

SashaH

Original Poster
It's $50 for the phone call alone. My dog's vet does not charge that. He does just answer my questions.
I'm home with him, he just ate 5 crickets, one butter worm and a blueberry. I think the lighting had a lot to do with it.

Tigg

Juvie Member
I found your original post and considering he was under a ReptiGlo 10.0, Just by turning it off you should see a difference.

Is he hiding? and if you were to move him into his basking spot (Basking light should still be on, Just turn the ReptiGlo off) will he stay basking or run and hide?

If he is not basking then you need to get him onto soft foods such as baby food as be will have a hard time digesting anything solid and may further complicate the situation.

Keeping his eyes closed could either be do to some damage to the retina caused by the UVB light, Which is temporary. your beardie would feel like we would with sand in our eyes. Or it could be due to a lack of strength... Should not be the case if he just ate though.

Taking him outside for a little while would also do him a world of good, not too long though as his skin has only every gotten artificial lighting and will take some time to get used to the sun... they can easily burn during this time.

Make sure you keep him hydrated, oral fluids are best. You can either drip it onto his nose and allow him to lick it off, or use a medicine dropper right into his mouth. Use water, or if possible mix some pedialite or gatorade with the water to help get some electrolites back into him. If this is not possible you can also give him a warm bath making sure his vent is submerged. once again you can use pedialite or gatorade to bath him just make sure to use the clear stuff so you do not dye his skin. If he is weak, do not stray more than a few feet from him while he in bathing, they can easily drown in very little water if he is not able to hold himself up.

SashaH

Original Poster
He was hiding a lot when the UV light was on, he's not hiding anymore though, since I hand fed him, he's doing great. He's had a bath, eaten and he's basking and exploring. I was planning on taking him out but I live in Canada and it's only 60 outside. His eyes are wide and he's not running away.

Tigg

Juvie Member
Yeah I live in Ontario as well and it's definitely not nice enough outside today to bring him out. Maybe you can set him up on a window sill for a couple of hours? It's not that sunny today either but something is better than nothing.

Glad to hear he is doing much better! :)

Spike20

Your Beardie might be impacted try giving it a bath daily. If your Beardie doesnt have a bowel movement still I would take him to the vet, and 50$ is not alot of money at all they will do all they can to help.

SashaH

Original Poster
Spike20":83d40 said:
Your Beardie might be impacted try giving it a bath daily. If your Beardie doesnt have a bowel movement still I would take him to the vet, and 50$ is not alot of money at all they will do all they can to help.

He's pooping regularly. And I agree $50 would not be a lot of money for a base cost for a visit. But it's a lot just to talk to someone on the phone and have them tell me I would have to bring him in anyway.
He's better now anyway, it was just the lights.

orion

But I thought $50 was for the phone call, not the vet visit. Sounds weird to me. Anyway, it sounds like he is doing somewhat better. You say he doesn't hide anymore. I agree, if he stops eating or doesn't go, then you might have to rush over. How much are they charging you for the visit itself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FalkorBeardie :3
Top Bottom