Water poop for a while

QibliLover1

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Qibli
Hello I have my male bearded dragon Echo here. He’s 1 year old and his appetite consists of country greens and Dubai roaches. His poop has been very watery recently the past few times I’ve monitored his poop, I wanted to try to get it to be solid so I haven’t been giving him hornworm treats. He eats his salad ever day but he only has a few nibbles. I’m worried it’s not hydration that’s the problem and that it could be parasites. He’s also been hiding a lot so I take him out and put him on his basking. He hides when it’s the 90’s in his cage. But it has been getting cooler where I live so I’m concerned if he’s trying to brumate and I just keep bothering him or something. But anyways I’m leaving a photo with this message if anyone can help it would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0092.jpeg
    IMG_0092.jpeg
    231.8 KB · Views: 51
Solution
Hi there,

His poo looks well formed. That liquid is just from extra hydration in his diet. If he's been eating hornworms regularly, that's likely a large contributor. What vegies does he get besides the greens?

That's a healthy looking poo, minus the urate being a little off colored - likely from a bit of over supplementation.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

His poo looks well formed. That liquid is just from extra hydration in his diet. If he's been eating hornworms regularly, that's likely a large contributor. What vegies does he get besides the greens?

That's a healthy looking poo, minus the urate being a little off colored - likely from a bit of over supplementation.

Solution

QibliLover1

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Qibli
Hi there,

I give him butternut squash every other day, although this week the store didn’t have any so he hasn’t had squash his past week. I spray his veggies with a vitamin spray in which I have to shake then spray three times letting it spray for 15 seconds before serving to Echo. For calcium in his I’ve also noticed that so I’ve tried not giving him as much calcium but it honestly seems to get bigger 😅

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Butternut squash is pretty notorious for causing liquid in the stools, it's a great hydrator. Try switching to a yellow squash or a vegetable with a bit less moisture to it.

Vitamin spray every feeding is definitely going to be too much. I'd cut back to one feeding one to two times a week.

-Brandon

QibliLover1

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Qibli
Butternut squash is pretty notorious for causing liquid in the stools, it's a great hydrator. Try switching to a yellow squash or a vegetable with a bit less moisture to it.

Vitamin spray every feeding is definitely going to be too much. I'd cut back to one feeding one to two times a week.

-Brandon
So I spray Echos salad like once a week?

QibliLover1

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Qibli
At a year old, 5 feedings per week with calcium is fine.

-Brandon
I feed him every day but only dust his roaches like 2-3 times a week. I give him about 15-25 medium sized roaches(depending how much he eats in 5 minutes). I have another bearded dragon 2 years old male, he’s very picky and he recently just now started to eat roaches for me instead of BSFL and I do the same thing for feeding as I do for Echo but, his stool is fine, although he doesn’t eat his salad as well as Echo does.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The stool looks pretty normal, really. A lot of them have excess liquid with them, depending on the
type of food intake. You can add some sweet potato in to help firm things up some. Do you know
what the ingredients are on the vitamin you give? Does it have synthetic vitamin A in it?
As Brandon suggested, once weekly should be perfectly fine to give to him.
At 1 years old, he could be slowing down slightly, as they do for brumation. However, he might not
have a full brumation though, maybe just a partial one.

Tracie

QibliLover1

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Qibli
Hello,

The stool looks pretty normal, really. A lot of them have excess liquid with them, depending on the
type of food intake. You can add some sweet potato in to help firm things up some. Do you know
what the ingredients are on the vitamin you give? Does it have synthetic vitamin A in it?
As Brandon suggested, once weekly should be perfectly fine to give to him.
At 1 years old, he could be slowing down slightly, as they do for brumation. However, he might not
have a full brumation though, maybe just a partial one.

Tracie
Ya that’s what I was wondering because he’s been hiding lately, he’s active and acting like himself but it’s just weird.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom