Useless Back Legs

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobbinRN

Hello everyone ~

I'm pleased to report that Little Man has had no seizures in at least two weeks! For that I am very grateful; however, it seems he may have some lasting effects from the many seizures he suffered in the past. It would appear that he is totally limp the majority of the time from his hips down. When he's propped up on his little log, he appears to be "sitting" like a prairie dog. When he chases crickets from a flat position, he pulls himself quite well with his front legs, but his rear legs appear to pretty much drag behind him. If he makes sudden movements that require a change in direction or height, he usually ends up on his back and just lays there looking around until someone notices him :(

He eats a lot of dusted crickets per day. He doesn't seem to care too much for the salad, but the crickets are fed the same salad, so he at least gets some of it that way. He had the Reptisun 10.0 UVB and a basking light, with temperatures 96-105 on hot side. Paper towel substrate. Pooping every day at least once. Frequent baths (approximately 3-4 per week). Ten days ago, I bought him the 100-W Mega Ray MVB to replace the two items mentioned above. I'm not sure I've noticed anything drastically different because I think his seizures stopped shortly prior to that.

While I realize that many of you have had special-needs dragons and they have done just fine, I was wondering if anyone had had this particular problem and was it corrected or compensated for in other ways? I have been on vacation for two weeks and will be returning to work on Thursday (14-hour days). My husband will be feeding Little Man and checking on him throughout the day (he works from home). If he happens to end up on his back and no one is home, how long can he be in this position without permanent harm?

Thanks,
Robbin

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Hi Robbin.

Seizures? Wow! That's terrible! I'm very glad he seems to be doing better. Kudos to you for taking in this special needs beardie! My beardie Budo had some major health issues, but no lasting physical disabilities.

Have you been to see a vet? Do you have any idea what may have caused the seizures? I'm thinking along the lines of damage to the spinal cord, causing paralysis. Can he move his tail at all?

Sorry I'm not of much help. :( I hope someone comes who may be able to better help you.

Good luck!!

Maya

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I remember reading that some of those that have dragons that have movement problems such as weak legs (front or back) use a water therapy on them. What they do is put the beardie in the bath tub (don't leave it alone, even for a second) with enough water for it to work it's legs in a swimming motion. They might not like it but it has helped them.

Lori

RobbinRN

Original Poster
Maya ~ Actually, Little Man wasn't a special-needs dragon when I got him. He became one, but my vet and every breeder I spoke with all say it isn't my fault, rather something genetic that didn't show up right away. At first my vet thought the seizures were caused by calcium deficiency (as did most everyone else) and he was treated with calcium gluconate injections. His tail became more and more kinked which led me to think he was developing MBD. He doesn't really move his tail at all, but does attempt to move his legs most of the time. They just seem to lock up when he moves them and then he just resorts to dragging them. His bowels and such work fine and he seems to have control over them. It's really strange.

Lori ~ Funny you should mention water therapy! I actually "exercise" his little legs whenever I hold him and have referred to it as beardie physical therapy :) I kept hoping that he just needed to strengthen his muscles, but I'm beginning to feel it's more of a nerve problem related to the seizures he had so frequently in the previous months. In retrospect, I wonder if seizures is what they really were because hindsight leads me to believe they were just severe episodes of tetany, which is what appears to be happening to just his legs now.

I have to add that other than this apparent handicap, he behaves like a perfectly normal beardie.

Any more ideas out there? I especially need input on whether or not he can be on his back for any length of time because we aren't always right on top of him to flip him over :(

Thanks,
Robbin

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Robbin,

I do remember your case & I am happy that he has not had anymore seizures as of now. Unfortunately once their bones get so leached from the metabolic bone disease advancing it can cause permanent strength loss. His blood calcium was probably low, from the bones attempting to maintain their integrity. Over time, he may regain some strength in his back legs. The water therapy is very good exercise if he will start trying to use them.
Seizures could have caused some damage to his nerves, if they were frequent & violent enough. Do you know if his spinal column grew incorrectly? Sometimes, if that happens, it can press onto the nerves which does cause a paralysis type of syndrome. I am not saying that is the case, but, a possibility.
As far as him ending up on his back, how often does that happen? He cannot right himself at all? It is not a desirable position for them to be in because it can cause lung collapse due to the difficulty of contracting the necessary muscle for inspiration. What usually happens is their total respirations per minute slow way down to preserve metabolism, & if they are in that state for a long period of time, say, over 4 hours, it could cause them to go into a type of catatonic state. I do not have documented evidence of the time table however, but I would not recommend allowing that position of being on his back for long periods of time.
You could lower the basking spot to where he doesn't have to climb at all which would decrease his risk of turning himself over trying to climb up or down & throwing himself off balance. So you will need to adjust his lights to accomodate the distance for him.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camila
Top Bottom