URGENT: Tail Tremors?!

Nikki.D

Hatchling Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Garnie
After I gave my beardie a bath I put him back in his enclosure and at first it looked like he had tremors in his stomach but then it happened in his tail. Even sometimes when I hold him I can feel them moving. What should I do? Also occasionally he makes these gasping noises. Would it be be because of his humidity? Help will be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_4054.mov
    6.1 MB
  • IMG_4055.jpeg
    IMG_4055.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What is his daily diet/supplement schedule like?

His humidity is fine. Humidity is 99 times out of 100 a non-issue.

-Brandon

Nikki.D

Hatchling Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Garnie
What is his daily diet/supplement schedule like?

His humidity is fine. Humidity is 99 times out of 100 a non-issue.

-Brandon
Thanks for the reply. Only sometimes I sprinkle supplements on my bearded dragon’s salad as usually when I sprinkle it he won't eat it. I use Pisces Complete Reptile Supplement Pack and Bee Pollen to feed Bearded Dragons - Reptile Realm. I change his salad daily. I usually mix up his salad each time he has finished a batch. Right now his salad has carrot, cabbage, zucchini, coriander and a little bit of capsicum. I feed him 3-5 wood roachs five times per week.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Does he actually eat his salad? What about calcium supplements?

I would just keep an eye on it, but not worry too much about it. Looks like some slight muscle twitching which is usually caused by an electrolyte imbalance, but if he's getting a good varied diet and is adequately hydrated, it should fix itself.

-Brandon

Nikki.D

Hatchling Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Garnie
Does he actually eat his salad? What about calcium supplements?

I would just keep an eye on it, but not worry too much about it. Looks like some slight muscle twitching which is usually caused by an electrolyte imbalance, but if he's getting a good varied diet and is adequately hydrated, it should fix itself.

-Brandon
Yes he does eat his salad. I give him a calcium supplement from Pisces but it doesn’t have vitamin D3. I was thinking of buying him this https://www.petcircle.com.au/product/exo-terra-supplement-electrolyte-vitamin-d3/rp276. Thanks

Nikki.D

Hatchling Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Garnie
By the way when I was feeding him roaches he had to keep on chewing it for longer than he usually has to. When I gave him his first roach his beard twitched.

Attachments

• IMG_4059.mov
    8.7 MB
  • IMG_4059.mov
    3.4 MB

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
To little or likewise to much calcium can cause it. Dehydration can also. If your running adequate uvb d3 is trivial, the uvb triggers their bodies to make d3. Calcium should be given daily until adult as they need it for bone growth, at adulthood you can trim it back a little but they still need it.
If your beardie avoids food with powdered calcium you can get liquid and add it to water and administrator it that way. If you get the liquid, taste it yourself I've gotten some that taste horrible.
Inadequate uvb can also contribute to twitching.

Nikki.D

Hatchling Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Garnie
Here are some other videos:

Attachments

• IMG_4061.mov
    4.5 MB
  • IMG_4061.mov
    6.7 MB

Nikki.D

Hatchling Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Garnie
To little or likewise to much calcium can cause it. Dehydration can also. If your running adequate uvb d3 is trivial, the uvb triggers their bodies to make d3. Calcium should be given daily until adult as they need it for bone growth, at adulthood you can trim it back a little but they still need it.
If your beardie avoids food with powdered calcium you can get liquid and add it to water and administrator it that way. If you get the liquid, taste it yourself I've gotten some that taste horrible.
Inadequate uvb can also contribute to twitching.
I just gave him a bath yesterday and today so that would have given him some water and I have misted him. Sometimes I mix water and calcium together and give it to him using a syringe. I doubt the cause is too much calcium. Is there anything else you would recommend?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
just gave him a bath yesterday and today so that would have given him some water and I have misted him.
Only if he actually drank would it hydrate him.

Sometimes I mix water and calcium together and give it to him using a syringe.
This is almost never necessary with normal husbandry. So it is possible that he's a bit high on calcium.

Light calcium dusting of the salad OR the insects, 3-5 TIMES (not days) a week. Stop with the liquid calcium.

-Brandon

Nikki.D

Hatchling Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Garnie
Only if he actually drank would it hydrate him.

This is almost never necessary with normal husbandry. So it is possible that he's a bit high on calcium.

Light calcium dusting of the salad OR the insects, 3-5 TIMES (not days) a week. Stop with the liquid calcium.

-Brandon
In the bath I poured water on his nose which he did lick off. I never knew that but I will definitely stop. Ok I will adjust his schedule. Thanks for your help. Any other advice?

Last edited:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today?
As stated, it is all a balance within their system. They do need calcium but too much can definitely
cause issues. Everything in moderation!
Is he still having odd twitching?

Tracie

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom