Update-- Mouthrot, gingivitis and abcess on lower jaw

Fraggler

Beardie name(s)
Mango
Hey, Apologies for taking so long.

Finally after 7 months after adopting and 6 months after posting this thread:

Dental problem (mouthrot) need info | Beardie ER

I wrote a proper update not only on Mangolito's health and included most other problems and gains he had before adopting and his progression in the introduction Thread:

At the end of this post ill add pictures from before and after, proving what surgery done by a proper reptile vet can establish along with trying too give the best care even though it's my first experience a reptile in my care that has been sick (snakes), and without experience with Lizard's (not bregging just share hope and never give up).

I'd like to share some specific details linked on Mangolito's Problems like Gingivitis, mouthrot, abcess on the jaw, partial jaw removal (luckily the jaw is still intact but they had to drill a hole and chip some off it's surface) along with side effects like his behaviour, but aswell I'll add the mistakes i made and add specific details i discovered about known care strategies in this case that i wasn't able to find plowing the internet but learned along this journey. I'll start a nee thread about it in a more appropriate place.

I'd like to thank all people on this forum from the bottom of my heart who were directly and inderectly involved (by other threads I've been reading) and feel free to ask me anything!

Mangolito and Jeroen,

Before, Surgery:
20230416_143301.jpg

20230416_143301_resized.jpg

On Baytrill, first two weeks after Surgery:
20230502_173510.jpg

And five minutes after Administering the Drug:

20230502_174357.jpg

Three or four weeks after Surgery:
20230511_112640.jpg

20230511_112646.jpg

Three months after surgery (and in shed) was afraid it was comming back but the vet told me that the part of the jaw they removed and all was fine:

20230726_212401.jpg

20230511_112646.jpg

Attachments

• 20230531_152021.jpg
    20230531_152021.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 56

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey, Apologies for taking so long.

Finally after 7 months after adopting and 6 months after posting this thread:

Dental problem (mouthrot) need info | Beardie ER

I wrote a proper update not only on Mangolito's health and included most other problems and gains he had before adopting and his progression in the introduction Thread:

At the end of this post ill add pictures from before and after, proving what surgery done by a proper reptile vet can establish along with trying too give the best care even though it's my first experience a reptile in my care that has been sick (snakes), and without experience with Lizard's (not bregging just share hope and never give up).

I'd like to share some specific details linked on Mangolito's Problems like Gingivitis, mouthrot, abcess on the jaw, partial jaw removal (luckily the jaw is still intact but they had to drill a hole and chip some off it's surface) along with side effects like his behaviour, but aswell I'll add the mistakes i made and add specific details i discovered about known care strategies in this case that i wasn't able to find plowing the internet but learned along this journey. I'll start a nee thread about it in a more appropriate place.

I'd like to thank all people on this forum from the bottom of my heart who were directly and inderectly involved (by other threads I've been reading) and feel free to ask me anything!

Mangolito and Jeroen,

Before, Surgery:
View attachment 82505

View attachment 82506

On Baytrill, first two weeks after Surgery:
View attachment 82510

And five minutes after Administering the Drug:

View attachment 82509

Three or four weeks after Surgery:
View attachment 82507

View attachment 82508

Three months after surgery (and in shed) was afraid it was comming back but the vet told me that the part of the jaw they removed and all was fine:

View attachment 82512

View attachment 82508
He looks good-

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
You have done a marvelous job with him, i love stories with a happy ending, he is finally getting the life he deserves ❤

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

Wow, absolutely terrific, they sure are a resilient
little species. He has done phenomenal & really
improved since initial surgery.
Great job getting him healthy, I am so happy for
him.
Is he pretty active right now?
Be sure to keep us updated on his progress, we
are all interested to see how he is doing. Thanks
for the updates on Mangolito, bless him.

Tracie

Fraggler

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mango
Hello!

Wow, absolutely terrific, they sure are a resilient
little species. He has done phenomenal & really
improved since initial surgery.
Great job getting him healthy, I am so happy for
him.
Is he pretty active right now?
Be sure to keep us updated on his progress, we
are all interested to see how he is doing. Thanks
for the updates on Mangolito, bless him.

Tracie

Hey Tracie he's still recovering which i was told by the my exotic vet could take up to 1,5 for his gums completely grow up and tight to gis jaw, with up and downs post Surgery, being on Baytrill, few weeks agter he was doing very well and gained his lost weight then a heatwave hit and while he decided to go in full shed, this snall enclosure overheated easily due to ambient temps resulting in low humidity Fully shedding during a heat wave heat wave, which made it hard to keep him hydrated and wel fed, so i made sure i would drop some water in his cheeks when his mouth looked dry which is bad for the healing process in the gums, and clean with when feeling when it's needed, estimating when too brush or rinse his theeth and gums became much easier after experience as you don't want to over do, when well hydrated i can differ between once in the 1 or 2 weeks, and when hes more dehydrated i sometime switch to ones in the two or three days.

The heat wave is over now for about and temps/ humidity are perfect again causing him regaining his apetite, and after a week or several days ago i immediately notice his activity level is going up! I just constructed an huge osb 3 viv 150x60x80 cm which is 4' 11"x1' 12"x2' 7" ? (please tell me the correct way too call these dimensions in the U.S!!) but still need to waterproof it, i also put it in my bedroom as my livingroom is getting really hot in the summer up too 86°f or 30°c, but my Microclimate Evo 3 connected stat gives me alarm on my phone so i can adjust the temp wherever i am.

even though the ups and downs, his transformation has been remarkable compared to when i adopted him 7 months ago and close to death, his previous owners never saw him run and jump but this eight year old is able too once again! and more important he learned to eat leaf greens and other vegetables he never ate and barely gets any fruits as the sugars and acidity is not good for him, he gets high grade multivits so im not worried for the lack of vits contained in fruits.

I can email my vet whenever i want free of charge and he will be seen by her every 2 for months for a Check up.

and yes you and other have been right these animals are really though not easy to destroy, sad enough it's easy to get them in bad shape! Everywhere I've read the advice not to adopt old or sick beardies, especially when lacking experience and i agree, its a hell to go through! and the importance of proper researche and help from experienced people is very important.

last thing i wish I could tell everyone getting their first pet's like bearded Dragons or other reptiles that require specific needs, safe up a good ammount of money for possible vet costs before you start buying enclosures, electronics, vits and eventually bearded dragons as i discovered on multiple forums lots of cases where owner of sick beardies simply do not have the money to go full term with a proper vet in case of emergency, find an actual exotic vet and study most common mistakes in care.

nicoleraine

Beardie name(s)
Potomyr, Master of the Beard (aka Boo Boo, Bubbah, Baby, Pokey Potato, Adventure Dragon, Dude)
Thank you for sharing. It's great to see your Mangolito making a good recovery and very encouraging. Our own boy is going in for a similar procedure this week, following an injury, though his will be somewhat less invasive. It's nice to see good outcomes are possible with good care. It looks like you've done a great job.
After this month in particular, I have also been repeating the mantra, "if you can't afford the vet, you can't afford a pet." It certainly is a commitment, particularly with rescues who need an extra helping hand back to good health. The emergency reserves cannot be overlooked, however. Whoa, boy. I had almost forgotten having gotten past all of those initial investments and into a healthy care routine.

I hope you and Mangolito will be well on your way to that healthy (and less expensive) care routine soon.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

I am so happy to hear that your little Mangolito is doing better!
Is he off of medications now? It is hard going through recovery with them because it is such a
slow process but they are pretty resilient little creatures.
Reptiles in particular are more expensive because there are so few reptile vets & they seem to
want to charge more then regular vets. However, sometimes things happen we don't plan on so
it's hard to always have adequate funds in cases of emergencies!
Feel free to keep us all updated on the situation.

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RudeGurl
Top Bottom