Unusual behavior/hiding most of the day

Lumber girl

Original Poster
Would love some advice.
Our ~15 month old beardie has started hiding most of the day. Not sure what's going on. Typically she comes out in the morning and basks, but for about a week now she stays in her hide (unless someone decides to get her out). If I happen to take her out to look at her, I place her back in on the warm side of her viv. She might bask for 15-20 minutes, then makes a beeline for her salad. She's only eating a few small bites, then back into the hide. Occasionally she'll eat dubias in the afternoon, but that's really hit or miss. Again that requires someone getting her out of the hide. She will bask after eating a few bugs, then back into the hide again. She's not pooped in 4 or 5 days despite eating 5-6 medium roaches the one day.

I had her to a second vet after my last post back in February. The second vet actually has a beardie himself and could finally tell us that our beardie is female. Anyway, the symptoms she had then was basically a hunger strike. Vet said it sounded like semi-brumation and that she was very healthy, tank setup was good, recommended to increase temps slightly.

UV bulb was replaced in February, so I don't think that's the issue.

I'm concerned because I can't imagine this is brumation again this soon? Maybe I'm wrong? If that's the case, do we leave her under the hide?

Some of the behaviors she's showing sounds almost like mites that I've seen in other posts, but I don't see anything. We did recently start keeping dubia roaches, not really a colony, just for her to eat. (I don't have a heater etc. for them to breed). I don't believe they carry anything like that, advice on this would also be great.

I'm in the eastern U.S. and it's spring here, not sure if that has much bearing on this.

Thanks for any/all advice!

Sophielius

Beardie name(s)
Raxtus
It does sound like brumation to me, even though your vet said she was semi-brumating just a couple of months ago. How is her weight? If you don't have one, you can grab a kitchen scale that weighs in grams for around $10 on Amazon, or just a local store. If you're worried about the pooping, putting her in a shallow bin with warm water up to her shoulders will help move things along.

How is her tank? If you don't have a lot of decorations and whatnot, I'd recommend increasing those to help pique her interest in being out and about. If nothing else some pretty background pics to put at the back of her cage maybe?

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom